Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: IBM GXP Problems: The Truth Exposed and Possible Fixes (arti

Quote Originally Posted by BUhockey13
    DigitalDD,
    You mention you use ribbon over round cables...... I use rounded cables in my case.....

you think this might attribute to the bad blocks appearing on my IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30.0G drive?

Thanks
    First sorry for not replying sooner but I've been real busy. now on to the question.

While I've seen varying reports that rounded cables can cause data corruption, I assume most of these 'reports' are from man-rounded cables not the nice machine rounded kind. I myself prefer to fold the flat IDE cables live origami flat against the side/bottom of the case. I can't honestly say that rounded cables cause any kind of data corruption because I've never experienced any, I just prefer to fold my cables and I figured I'd state that fact in my message.

Lord knows it might help isolate what causes these drives to fail if IBM knew what were the common factors in every environment where these drives failed.:sun:

The very least you should do is show us a pic of the inside of your case :cry:.

My HDD Cooler (Akasa very slim 2-fan) has arrived this morning, so there's no excuse for me to postpone the re-commissioning of my problematic ECS K7S5A with my new 120GXP, I've read more info than I can absorb or understand... but I really must have a nap now :zzz:.

PS : I didn't take it that you wouldn't use rounded cables, I thought you simply said you didn't.
    PC in a state of flux ;)

From Austin, TX:

In Jan, 2001, I bought two 30GB IBM GXP75s (DTLA 307030) to run in my Abit KT7A-RAID. Ran a RAID-0 configuration (striped). Broken stripe after three months. Attempted rebuild, but a bad HDD. Sent it back, with IBM's ridiculous return shipping instructions. (Who saves HDD boxes? Well, I do. Now.)

Can't remember site of manufacture of original drive. Replacement is from Philippines. I ran a mirrored configuration (the numbers aren't as great, but it's reliable and I don't notice the difference much). Now the second one crashed, and I'm calling up IBM for it. It was Hungarian, FWIW.

In between the crashes, I switched to round cables (machine-made), and I have a Lian-Li case, with the two intake fans blowing over the IBM drives. I don't overclock; the only modification I've made is to reduce I/O voltage by .5V for reliability (MBM reported a high voltage on the 5V circuit). In my case (pun intended) heat is not killing these drives.

It's not a large sample, but I'm running a 66.6% failure rate on these drives. If IBM thinks I don't know how to use a HDD, they can kiss my pasty white sysadmin arse!

Frankly, I'm not buying another IBM drive for at least a year or so. I suspect marketing wanted the performance, but QA couldn't deliver. I'm having great luck with a pair of Maxtors (unintentional, it just kinda happened that way) in my other PC, and Seagate's out of the picture because at work, all the replaced HDDs are Seagate.

Email at heywood-jablomee@austin.rr.com for more info.

I ran the latest IBM DFT on the system and everything checks out.

Ran the system for about 15 minutes, no testing, just seeing if it runs.

Waited about an hour, with the case open and booted it up. Lockup at the logon screen (Win98 with logon), drive starts making scratch-scratch-scratch, tic-tic sounds. Reboot, broken mirror. Other drive doesn't even show up.

From the sordid BIOS and SoundBlaster wars of the KT7A motherboard to today, this has been the most troublesome system I have ever dealt with. And I built it. Great confidence boost.

IBM is getting their disks back in pieces, if that's what it takes.

"Screw you guys, I'm going home"
    -Eric Cartman

Old pic of the inside of my case:

FYI: My ISP is changing the webserver in about 2 weeks..... so be fore warned...... :)

Since this picture I've removed on the of CD-ROM drives (on the blue cable) and replaced the IBM 75GXP 30G drive with 2 Maxtor D740X 40G ATA133 HDD in fan cooled trays... :D ..... plus I've made good use of plastic ties to tie up excess power cables and attempt to clear out a air path around the end of the GeForce2 Ultra card in the AGP slot so the air can flow from my 80mm delta fan in the front past the 60mm delta cooled Gladiator on the CPU to the 80mm delta in the back of the case.....
    Abit KT7A w/ 1200 T-bird @ 1400 (AXIA, 9)
    Cooled by a Gladiator w/ 60mm delta

That's really tidy, BUhockey, did you make any of those rounded cables? (Bit difficult to tell from pic.)

I'm just rebuilding my setup and am all tangled up in wires - I've put a CDRom drive in the top bay, left an empty bay underneath it, then CD-RW under that - thinking about heat. But these P4-ready cases have more PSU wires than ATX-only, so I may have to move the top drive down. Or can I tuck the spare PSU stuff in between the 2 drives?

As you can guess, I'm not exactly the most experienced builder, and I'm a bit worried about bundling up cables in case they overheat??????

I've got 80mm Evercools front and back, and a slot fan beside the AGP video card; now i've put a 2-fan Akasa cooler on my new 120GXP. Power is Antec 340W. CPU is non-overclocked 1gb Athlon 200fsb with non-screaming fan on heatsink.

Please tell me if I'm in danger of overloading.
    PC in a state of flux ;)

Shoot, dude I got a heftier system that that running on an Antec 350

AOpen AK77 Pro (KT266), T-Bird 1.4 @ 1.58 (151x10.5), Gainward GF3 @ 251/571, 512MB PC2100 DDR.

Stable. Antec's PSU's are good.

When I clicked Send/Rec to send you that email, in came a notification from Tweaktown that Morgan had posted - so this is where we met :).

So I'll tell everyone here that the noise in my pc was not my 75GXP, it was the PSU - which is actually a Chieftec 340W, I called it Antec because I thought that was the American name for it.

Morgan

Thanks for the info - I'm temporarily running on an old 300W now, nice and smooth, but I've taken out the slot fan 'just in case'.
    PC in a state of flux ;)

Sounds like you were lucky... :)

Talking PSUs.... I'm running a 431W Enermax on my rig..... :D Even has temperature sensitive cooling fans.... revs up when the case gets hot and down when it's cool..... now that's cool :)
    Abit KT7A w/ 1200 T-bird @ 1400 (AXIA, 9)
    Cooled by a Gladiator w/ 60mm delta

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information