Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IBM GXP Problems: The Truth Exposed and Possible Fixes (arti

Hello all, I'm back, visiting from OCAU. I just read your article on these drives and it was quite informative. I am running a 45G 75GXP that was installed around 11 months ago. I also put an Ultimate Hard Drive Cooler on it: I believe Vantec sell these but I bought one with a generic pack and it was only $25 or so. No problems with my drive so far, fingers crossed :D

I just love all these smileys
    :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Seems to me there have been rumors of these problems for years, and if you were really concerned you wouldn't have bought from IBM in the first place. Seems to me like you needed some attention so you purposefully bought a drive you hoped would fail so you could complain about it and tell your cry baby story to all those who would listen. Tell your sob stories to someone who gives a damn and if you don't want to trash your harddrives then stop making them the storage for 100 user warez ftps, whose access thrashing kills the drive in such a short time, biotch.
    MATE - If I wanted the attention and was an dishonest person - I would have just faked the hard disk drive had a problem, hell I wouldn't even had to even used one. Wake up to yourself...

This however was not the case. You post started off in a way which I was almost certain it would hold some creditbility, honestly I don't even know why I'm wasting my time responding. A "sob story" it may seem, to me I feel I did the community a favour by letting them know. In no way whatsoever was this a personal attack against IBM.

:zzz:

Quote Originally Posted by Bort
    Hello all, I'm back, visiting from OCAU. I just read your article on these drives and it was quite informative. I am running a 45G 75GXP that was installed around 11 months ago. I also put an Ultimate Hard Drive Cooler on it: I believe Vantec sell these but I bought one with a generic pack and it was only or so. No problems with my drive so far, fingers crossed :D

I just love all these smileys
    :cheers:
    HI Bort, welcome to the crazy house, or so it seems... :)

Plus WD, Maxtor, etc HD brands do not have that dum 333 hours per a month recommened like IBM 120 gxp HDs have now. I have a feeling that IBM is trying you to get to buy SCSI if you want to leave your HD on for very long hours.
    Sorry, that makes no sense. In the mean time what happens to the desktop sector? They loose their name totally and IBM don't even worry about protecting their market leading name? :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by xtraacid
    My 75GXP lasted almost a year, but last week died. Clicks of death are the only thing left, it can do. I guess I'll RMA it back to IBM. Thanks for the info.
    Glad I could be of assistance.

I was just thinking of why IBM would recommend only 333 hours. But i think i may be wrong. But i think your little article was a good warning because you are not the only one who has had problems. Other well known sites have had problems too with IBM HDs. I for one will never even think about buying a IBM HD.

I think my 75GXP has just fallen to this: it starts makeing a loud "CHH CHH CHH" when I read from certain parts of the disk. Worked great for about a year and a half until just this past weekend.

It was an OEM drive, but I heard that all IBM drive have a 3 year warranty. Anyone know for sure, and who would I contact to go about getting an RMA?
    What country are you from?

I was just thinking of why IBM would recommend only 333 hours. But i think i may be wrong. But i think your little article was a good warning because you are not the only one who has had problems. Other well known sites have had problems too with IBM HDs. I for one will never even think about buying a IBM HD.
    Thanks - This is exactly what I tried to do.

Also i do not think being 18 has anything to do with this topic. I do not care if you were 40 ,50, or even 80. You can be any age now a days a know a lot about computers.

Plus Maxtor and WD RMA policy is better than IBM's RMA policy. Maxtor i know you can get a new HD within 2 days if not less. IBM you will be lucky if you get a new HD back in a week. But most of the time for getting a new IBM HD it takes 15 to 30 days +. Sometimes 2 months or more. Thats just another thing IBM is known for.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information