Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: IBM GXP Problems: The Truth Exposed and Possible Fixes (arti

I'm weeping.

"I tried this on the controller chips of my faulty IBM drive and it didnít really help, at all. Its effect was actually counter-productive. The drive doesnít even power up anymore. So, it goes without saying, I highly recommend everyone avoid this method. Iíll be replacing the circuit board of my faulty HDD drive with my existing working IBM 60GXP drive"

Why didn't you just toss it in the bathtub, same effect. Water + electricity = bad things happening. What little credibility this site had is now totally gone.

jaeger66,

Your comment seems as productive as the freeze spray. I made a mistake, forgive me - Maybe you live the perfect world, others don't.

I just contacted Dick Smith myself and they said that the freeze spray is NOT CONDUCTIVE - and is actually designed for temporarily cooling IC chips as one of its primary functions.

So before you shoot off your mouth jaeger66, it may be worthwhile to do some homework first
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

I was told the exact same thing - You live and you learn...

Here's an article I came across somewhere (sorry, too senile to remember where):

"I suppose I need to cover a few ground rules. Musts that...well...must be followed in order to achieve sustained high performance. Past IBM drives had developed (in my opinion) a bad rap for reliability and quirky performance.
    It is paramount that the installation of such a special drive must careful and deliberate. Don't merely "throw" or "whip" these high speed units into a case at some strange angle with bent and twisted ATA100 cable.
    Place the drive where the ambient temperature never exceeds 80-85įF. If this is not achievable with a fan blowing cool air directly across the HD, then seek another location. All high RPM drives must be kept cool. I use InWin "S" series cases and while they might look boring, the airflow is simply the best in the market. The interior temperature never exceeds 5įF above ambient (without any additional case fans).
    Screw the drive into a bay that has at least 1-2 inches completely open above and below the unit. If you cram this hot rod between one or two other models, you'll end up with dead useless paperweights in no time.
    Lastly, don't even think of moving your computer while the drive is operating. Those sensitive heads will smack the platters with a nice "scrrraaaatch" or scraping sound and once that happens, it's RMA time.
    I have used several 15GB 75GXPs, supposedly the most problematic model, in a small college environment for well over a year. The only time one required replacement was when the case was moved and bounced while formatting. Otherwise, the 75GXP series has been and still holds great respect for me in all performance areas."

I've just RMA'd my 15.3gb 75GXP direct to IBM and they sent me back (it took 2 weeks, BTW) the very same model, made in Philippines like the first one, manuf. date Dec 2000. I haven't even unpacked it, I had begged them not to send me another 75GXP but apparently they don't do one small enough in the 60GXP range. My best friend has just bought me a 40gb 120GXP for my birthday, I'm waiting on a cooler before installing it.

That was me who posted the above - I've got myself registered - somehow unregistered posting seems a bit irresponsible.
    PC in a state of flux ;)

Quote Originally Posted by parthena
    That was me who posted the above - I've got myself registered - somehow unregistered posting seems a bit irresponsible.
    It's always good to put a name to the posts... :)

i have a ibm 40 gig gxp60 after 1 month of using it locks up and makes stupid noises and only can start dos so i use scan disk after 10 bad clusters repaired the pc started again and i came in windows i asked the retailer and he said if it happens again come back to me but now it happens again.
    My question is, is this that stupid bug of all those hd from IBM
    cause it really suck
    Athlon XP 1700+ MSI K7T 266 pro 2.0 256 DDR mem, Asus V7700 geforce 2 Titanium, IBM deskstar 40 gig 7200 rpm.

Freeze spray isn't conductive, but hasn' t anyone heard of condensation? It's 6th grade physics. Cold surface + warm air = water.

All this discussion is great. I own 2 40gb 75GXP's and my first worked flawlessy until i got the second.

The second gave me the click error sounds and then when i was listening carefully (pulled them out of my machine), i found that it was both (not at the same time, when accessing different parts of the hard disk).

But the big thing about this problem, is that i just deleted the information held on that part of the hard disk, recently i have updated the firmware and i have never recieved the sounds again. EH? This doesn't make much sense, but i'm not complaining cause they are working. I am going to re-install soon maybe as RAID and see what happens.

Kalv.
    Kalvir@yahoo.com

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information