Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computex 2004 coverage...

Nice pics.

I gotta ask: WTF is up with the XGI PCIe Volari card? I'm talking about the card is raised with some other card that has a fan on it? What is that thing?

From your description, you're talking about the cards that can run together and each process half of the screen. It's a patent-pending Alieware thing, so you probably can't build your own system with the technology at any point in time. It would cost a hell of a lot of money, but would be insanely good.

The pictures are nice, but some words would be better. Pictures aren't really worth a thousand words in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Lander
    Nice pics.

I gotta ask: WTF is up with the XGI PCIe Volari card? I'm talking about the card is raised with some other card that has a fan on it? What is that thing?
    I believe that is a PCI-E to AGP interface convertor that isn't yet intergrated into the video card. Many PCI-E video cards have an interface convertor built into them, though some don't yet.

So in simpler terms, I guess, no video cards are true PCI-E.

Not yet... There's no need for them. I read a Tom's Hardware Guide article linked from the socket-939 article (which you can find in the Processors thread) that showed there was virtually no performance increase from 4x AGP to 8x AGP. In other words, PCI-X won't be neccessary, or possibly even useful for several years

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Not yet... There's no need for them. I read a Tom's Hardware Guide article linked from the socket-939 article (which you can find in the Processors thread) that showed there was virtually no performance increase from 4x AGP to 8x AGP. In other words, PCI-X won't be neccessary, or possibly even useful for several years
    Yep, that's another big thing that a lot of people were fooled on. 4X and 8X AGP. Although, even if its not really needed yet, I'd would like to see some true PCI-E :p video cards just to see how much they really can perform.

Thread Information