Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel vs. AMD - The Road Ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    We've also been testing a P4 533MHz FSB processor, I can't say anymore though due to an NDA agreement. I may be wrong about the release date, time will tell.
    NDA's aside all reports/indicators point to a Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood B) 2.26 & 2.4Ghz out this Quarter - Quarter 2 (actually May 6th I believe?). Along with the Intel i845E chipset (Brookdale-E), Intel i845G chipset (Brookdale-G), Intel i845GL chipset (Brookdale-GL), Intel i850E chipset (Tehama-E) & Intel ICH4 south bridge.

i845E - 200/266/(no 333)DDR memory, 533FSB
    i845G - as above but Intergrated GFX ~ GF4MX level using TileBase (ala. KyroII) Tech.
    i845GL - a above minus the 533mhz FSB - 400mhz for Celly P4's coming out.
    Intel i850E - RAMBUS platform - PC1066 or RIMM4200 with AGP 8x etc . . .

so yeh, there is going to be a little bit of a bump ahead for Intel until AMD gets their parts out, but at the high cost the parts will most likely be introduced at I'd be holding out for AMD's solutions before I made a buying decision (or at least late May when Intel is due to drop prices again).

Pretty much spot on there from what I've seen and heard.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

"NDA's aside all reports/indicators point to a Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood B) 2.26 & 2.4Ghz out this Quarter - Quarter 2 (actually May 6th I believe?). "

I don't disbelieve you guys, it's just that I've been scouring the news and the web for just that and I still can't find anything sooner than August (except for some old roadmaps from late last year...). If you have any link I would appreciate it. If not, but you're rock solid on the time frame PLEASE post that too!
    I make my income through my investments (mostly tech) in the US, and this might affect things in the short-term for me...
    Many Thanks!

Cheers,
    Charles

I'm restricted to what I can say, expect something soon though.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Thanks Cam...NDAs can sure be painful! :-)
    As an additional note, it's looking like Microsoft is indeed backing the Hammer... Word is the announcement hits tommorrow night (Sydney time) along with JS3's retirement as CEO of AMD.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020423/230097_1.html
    http://www.theinquirer.net/a_23040205.htm

This is probably a bigger boost to AMD than any memory or FSB change could ever be! They will be the ONLY chip made to run both 32 and 64 bit software natively (until/unless Intel develops Yamhill)...just bought more shares 10 minutes ago! :-)

Cheers,
    Charles

For those that say the article is 'lacking' because it does not address hammer are also missing the point that the article does not address future intel chips.

The article is taking an analytical look at the here/now and the next 6-9 months.

Though we cannot say what hammer will bring, we equally cannot claim on what Intel's Prescott (.09 micron P4) will bring. This is due out sometime early next year, and rumors are abound on this chip...

Rumors now...
    - 1 meg L2
    - 800MHz FSB
    - And more die changes in terms of functions...

A lot of you seem to assume that while AMD comes out with Hammer Intel is going to go along with their current Northwood line like nothing's changed...thats far from...

Asher,

“The Pentium 4 will be able to benefit from faster memory while AMD's Athlon range will still be bottlenecked by its slow front side bus.”

You are aware that when the Athlon XP-64 comes out, that memory bottle neck is gone due to the memory controller on die?? The platform actually won’t have a FSB…

Also, the T-Bred should have 512k cache and I’m hoping the data pathways are larger as well…

The Athlon XP-64 will usher in a new age of computers for the simple fact that mobo manufacturers won’t have the subsystem as a bottleneck anymore…

The P4 will be using a FSB while the Hammer communicates directly with memory at CORE speed…

The Athlon will be out in your 6-9 month vision, so the basic aspects of the Hammer core should be included… I’m interested in knowing where the Hammer FSB information is at because the Hammer will communicate with the subsystem via HT and with memory via its integrated memory controller, so where is the FSB at?? This is where Intel will miss the beat!!

Richard

Unrelated?

Riiiiigggghhhht..

You are beautiful, but I think your good looks might have caused you to become a bit too arrogant.

Since your article is so speculative, you should not state predictions so matter-of-factly.

That review is relevant, too. Have you read it? I have.

Some arguments about the article:

-the author did mention that the Barton will have 512k l2 cache and missed completely on the fact the new AMD roadmap says that the Barton will have 333Mhz FSB, and that the Hammer is speculated to have 800 MHz or so.

-now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't RDRAM running to take full use of the P4 FSB and so there weren't any memory bottlenecks and if the you compared an Athlon to a P4 using RDRAM at the same clock the Athlon would win hands down.

-now since the P4 has such a deep pipeline and it has to do more to process anything, I think that any increase in the FSB will be a bit useless since you are getting the data in there fast but the deep pipelines are stalling everything up.

-my comment: did Intel have anything to do with the article? Because I have doubt that your article wasn't paid. ;)

I am finding it more than a little perplexing that Asher/Mr Tweak could have put such a shallow article on the site...it really does detract from the site's credibility.....I am also more than a little perplexed that they can discuss "impending" Intel technology but discount and ignore the AMD equivalent.....I am not the paranoid type but ????? Intel are running scarred of Hammer .... Overclockers.com seems to think so...and they put a bit more depth and background in their articles .... http://www.overclockers.com/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information