Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Setting up HDMI on your HDTV - nVidia vs. AMD

Default Setting up HDMI on your HDTV - nVidia vs. AMD

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "Setting up HDMI on your HDTV - nVidia vs. AMD"

Default Re: Setting up HDMI on your HDTV - nVidia vs. AMD

I just purchased a Sony 40" LCD: 40V2500 and ran into the same problem you address. However with this model, Sony has provided a way within it's menu's to correct the display overscan. Go to the display menu, select Full Pixels, and the overscan area is reduced to 0 giving you full 1920x1080/60p display from your video card DVI output.

I have a Panasonic 1080p-capable plasma HDTV and it has a similar settings as the above poster's TV. Although I was able to use a slightly lower resolution than 1920x1080 to fill the screen, once I went through the TV's menu, I was able to get it so 1920x1080 filled up the screen. This is much better than trying to do it through drivers, because those can only affect the desktop resolution. Most games don't have sub-standard resolutions available, and you'll either end up with black borders or a cut-off screen if your TV doesn't have some sort of overscan correction feature.

Regardless, a computer monitor is a much better (and much cheaper) way to get a big, high-resolution display. HDTVs should only be used as computer monitors when you need a huge display.

Santa dropped off a Sony 40" BRAVIA KDL-40X2000 for Xmas this year - looking forward to trying it out properly (1080p + HDMI + HD DVD) :D
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Thread Information