Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The gradual demise of AMD - What happened and what to do next?

Default Re: The gradual demise of AMD - What happened and what to do next?

You were correct about the 939 issue, I upgraded to a 939 platform about 3 months prior to AMD canning it. They raved about AM2 but the sales havent happened.

So my suggestion to AMD would be bring back the 939 and fast and fill the gap they closed. At least this would give them back some sales for thoise looking to get a cheap upgrade by simply chaning out the processor.

The shear cost of going to a new platform, which means a new Processor, memory and Motherboard is just too much given the crisis in Australia with both power and food. People budgets just cant fit it so they say to hell with it.

I wont give up on AMD, they have given me a stable and more reliable paltform than Intel ever did. Toms Hardwar eproved that. 1 AMD mobo no reboots or refurbs, Intel boards 5 or 6 changes, and reliabilty sucked.

We need to pressure AMD to listen to us becuase the 939 platform is and still is relavent.

Boo Intel , Go AMD.

Way too much speculation and doom and gloom in that 'opinion piece' for a front page article.

S939 is a bad idea because have you seen the price of DDR lately? Have you seen the massive price drops of DDR2? Have you seen the higher bandwidth that DDR2 has? Re-releasing S939 would be a tremendously stupid idea. The whole article comments how AMD has little cash to play with, but yet they are asked to spend untold millions to restart a socket that has little future with DDR production coming to an end. Now that I actually read the article, I am even more surprised at what they had to say. AMD cannot look to their past, S939 cannot compete with Intel any more than AM2 can. AMD needs to ramp up Barcelona and K10 as quickly as possible and release a good product at high quantities with a reasonable price and they will sell like wildfire. THere are plenty of AMD fanboys just itching to build a K10 system, and even more that went C2D that will dump those systems the second AMD has a comparible CPU.

I really think there are way way to many people that have no clue about business and how a business runs to be making these wild assumptions. There is no proof anywhere about impending doom, and with so little information coming from AMD themselves, this article is beyond pure speculation.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Going back to socket 939 would be a terrible idea. There's a reason AMD switched, and a reason I don't criticize the decision much. As Casecutter said, DDR prices now, and even prior to 939's EOL were higher than DDR2 by a significant margin. AMD couldn't expect OEMs who had standardized on DDR2 to switch back, nor could AMD expect enthusiasts to keep going with the older, more expensive technology. Although I disagree that there's really any performance advantage ATM (performance tests have repeatedly shown that memory bandwidth does not matter on K8 platforms), that's hardly relevant. The hardware costs and the power consumption are both decreased significantly with DDR2.

hello, this is my first time posting so go easy on me. first of all i would like to say that no matter what happens in the short term for amd they will not be going anywhere. the market will not allow just one player. so regardless if they make money or not amd will be a player for years to come. intel already has 80 percent of the marketshare. you have to wonder why there is a need for more. i am brand loyal to amd for the simple fact i want them to survive. take a look on forbes and look under most innovative companies. amd is awesome. im not saying they are perfect, but look how far they have come in this industry. they have been on the brink before. its no cause for concern , its like watching your 401k, everything goes in cycles. intel has more money, more design teams, more of everything, but yet they still laid off 10,000 people, amd laid off some and still posted 611,000,000 loss. i assume paying off a lot of that debt they have accrued. maybe amd is in to many markets. i dont think they can ever take on intel head to head, just not enough resources. maybe nvidia and amd should join up. then the market could be somewhat more fair. i think intel is hell bent on destroying amd, and the bottom line is no one would ever allow that. all you have to do is look at microsofts position, pretty much have all the market to themselves. its a totally unhealthy enviroment. its not all rosey for intel though, i think they will lose to amd in litigation, kind of hard to cover up all those loopholes. and eventually to china, i am sure they are working on there own cpu designs.it would be no way intel could compete, kind of like our textile industry, but look a lot of companies are doing bad, GMC, FORD , i think monarch computers went belly up, i know im just giving examples. but my point is if intel and microsoft are the only ones left standing, i my friend will find another hobby. thanks

I have been using AMD CPUs since the era of socket A. My first PC was with Duron CPU and VIA KT133 chipset. And at time AMD CPUs were a lot faster and cheaper than Intel counterpart. Now at dual core era AMD is doing quite well with the performance. Yes, Intel top models are faster but when you compare price performance ratio AMD is still better. Last view months I saw several reviews that point AMD as a better option. Check this websites: http://www.benchmark.co.yu/modules.php?name=BenchmarkNews&file=article&sid=12 527&oliver=4131
    and http://www.legitreviews.com/article/490/10/ .
    Mother boards and 15-20% cheaper for AMD too. Yes, I agree that problems for AMD started when they bought ATI. If I was at Ruis place all put all money in R&D and started to develop CPU for notebooks and after that adjust them for use in desktops. They could steel make strategic partner ship with ATI or NVIDIA to make chipsets and GPU for AMD with AMD name on it. They could have a complete platform and better CPUs.
    Now AMD must sell ATI and put money in R&D and also make a strategic partnership wit NVIDIA or ATI for GPU and chipsets.

To my opinion, AMD did once a mistake not mentioned in the article: too many sockets and lack of upgrading chances.
    To explain, starting from '92 I had only AMD systems, and I was a really fan of.
    But end of 2006 I decided to make a new computer, and as I always did, I wanted to start with little money (reuse as much as possible from my old computer(s)) and be able to upgrade for ~5 years.
    This forced me to... go on INTEL, because I had enough DDR memory, and I had a feeling that either 939 will soon die or DDR will be impossible to find.
    On brief, to build Intel I needed a mainboard and processor, to build AMD, I needed either board, processor AND MEMORY, or I would be obliged to go on an already dieing platform.
    Also, I noticed at the time that Intel had 1 socket, AMD had 3 and each change in core looked to be followed by a socket change too. One could argue that also for Intel not all motherboards may accommodate all processor, but still you can buy at a reasonable price something with good presumable compatibility.
    I do not like to make a computer and keep it as is than throw it and buy another one, and for the ones like me, in recent years AMD gave the sentiment that you always buy something already obsolete and with no chance to upgrade (I do not consider an "upgrade" to change motherboard, processor and memory same time!).

At the current rate of newly released hardware, ALL hardware released as of today will be outdated in no more than 2 years. Most likely, it will be outdated in 1 year. The upgrade curve has taken a viscous turn. Parts are practically outdated after you install them lately.

One thing that everyone seems to forget about AMD and their sales. When was the last time you looked on Dell's site at their entry level machines? HP? Any of the big OEMs? They are all running AMD stuff in their entry to mid level stuff because it is cheaper and faster than anything Intel can produce. Even in the latest pricewar, Intel has nothing in the entry level market that can compete with AMD. The OEM's will keep AMD alive on life support. K10 (Barcelona) needs to be good to get them off life support. If you ask me, they can live on life support indefinitely if they just keep pumping out CPU's and if they can make this crazy merger with ATI pay off. They would probably benefit more by pumping out some fast DX10 video cards than sacrificing all to try and beat Intel. The mid-level DX10 market is bare and could really be exploited if someone released a good $200-300 DX10 video card.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

939 was a great platform. Actually, I was considering building a budget gaming system using that socket. You can put together a fairly decent system for around $500 USD including OS and peripherals. Start with a Athlon 64 4000+ and upgrade to a X2 later for cheap.

On a side note, I think people really screw themselves when they buy the latest and greatest hardware. If you dish out a lot of cash in the begininng you really end up with few avenues to upgrade. Honestly, I think upgrading is a joke, future-proofing...HAHAHAHA! The hardware manufacturers are smarter than I am. The have it all setup so you have to replace everthing inside your case when you wanna do an "upgrade". Today, upgrade means buying a whole new computer.

Old hardware can really go a long way. I wish more people realized that. My current setup is a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 Ghz (Barton) STOCK, Asus MB, 512K of DDR, ATI 9800Pro. I can play most games out there, albeit not with all settings maxed and all the bells and whistles. The only problem I've encountered thus far with this setup is exiting games to windows or switching between them. This is a RAM issue and if I spent $30 for another 512K of RAM I would probably not experience such a slowdown. I keep my comp very streamlined with only what I need on it. I close out all my idle programs and turn off my screen saver and wallpaper when I wanna game *laughs*. However, it is time for a new computer and I am seriously considering 939 for my next build. Live on AMD!!!

It is cheaper to put together an AM2 system than a S939 and you can get a new 3600+ X2 Brisbane for about $50US new if you look hard enough, plus DDR2 ram is EXTREMELY cheap now.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information