Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 and Vista (and XP) Simple Multi-Boot Guide

Default Re: Windows 7 and Vista (and XP) Simple Multi-Boot Guide

why not use spare hdd separate to install window 7 alone and won't mess it up with vista or xp bootloader like that.
    GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
    New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
    G
    .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
    MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
    PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
    Windows 7 64bit build 7600

ArferDaley is offline Junior Member

i have installed win7 vista and xp on seperate harddrives but bcdedit wont reconise the commands in the guide has anyone done this yet if so can u help i can boot into vista and win 7 now just cant sort the last bit to get xp into the boot as well
    drives are as listed below hope someone can help as would rather be on seperate drives if possible thanks

vista = c:\
    Win 7= D:\
    XP = E:\

ArferDaley is offline Junior Member

after messing around for a couple of hours i installed easy boot loader which done the trick but i would rather have been able to edit the windows boot manager well it will do for now anyone else want to do the same download EasyBCD 1.6 its free dont forget to change the drive letter first then select what operating system
    hope it works for you

Kind of an oddball question. I'd like to put 2 XP and 1 vista/windows 7 on the same drive... so far doesn't seem to be a problem... unless I've missed something... highly likely. Now the crux of the matter. This drive to install the operating systems on is actually a RAID1 "drive". First why 2 XP's? One a stripped down XP for Flight Simulator 2004 (FSCOF FS9 etc), the next XP is a full fledged XP with all the bells and whistles for day to day use and the more likely Windows 7 may be my future and would like it to run in 64-bit mode (does that play in to the considerations here?). My rig is built to handle all mentioned operating systems, but will having them all on a RAID1 work? Also since this will all be NTFS, will they all be able to share my data drive(s) also raid 10 (0+1) and 5? I would assume, and we know how dangerous that is, thus this post, that each will have their own set of drivers to access the RAID configurations. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas or bad news.

The answer is yes I just finished putting it all together and it works as envisioned. Now to get my hands on Windows 7. Wonder out loud if you can upgrade from XP direct to 7?

Glad you discovered the answer. While many find numerous faults with the MS operating system line (I could likely be counted in that group), they do tend to play well with other versions and other OS's for that matter. As long as you are using a reliable boot manager (the one in XP or Vista or Win7 work well, as does GRUB) you should have no issues as long as you are using either seperate drives or a partitioned one.

As for upgrading, I would imagine that MS will have an update method similar to what is already in place with Vista. We will have to wait and see if we will have the ability conduct a claen install from our upgrade disk like when XP first came out, or whether work-arounds will have to be discovered like when Vista hit the streets.

I am also curious as to whether MS will allow an upgrade from XP to Win7 since many stayed far away from Vista.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Obviously if you want to "Upgrade" then Vista needs to be installed, but I also downloaded the Beta from Microsoft when It first came out both the 32bit and 64bit Build 7000 and It runs nicely and installs on a clean drive from the ISO burnt to a DVD. P.S I love Windows 7 And I might actually pay for a legal copy of this windows.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    I am also curious as to whether MS will allow an upgrade from XP to Win7 since many stayed far away from Vista.
    I tried to do this recently and it was not allowed. IIRC it said something along the lines of your operating system is not supported for upgrade. Upgrade option is only available for Windows Vista.

So far I quite like Windows 7 but it doesn't seem all that different from Vista. I noticed no speed increase but this is partly due to lack of 3rd party drivers and being forced to use the generic drivers which came with the beta Win7.

In all honesty, Vista and 7 are nice to do work on since the GUI is newer and nicer but for games and and outright compatibility, I'm holding onto XP until the retail versions of Windows 7 can convince me otherwise and when these promises of performance increases can actually be confirmed in games.
    Last edited by lazyboy1984; 04-02-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Hey Michael, what is your system? Im running my Sigature system on Windows 7 and it is soo much quicker and less crashy then vista. I think id even go to say that it is even more responsive than XP. Which is quite incredible as its Much more "Pretty". As far as drivers are concerned, I have just been using Vista Drivers on W7 and it seems to go pretty good. Whats funny is I have less Problems running Vista 182.8 NVIDIA Drivers than with the W7 Beta Drivers.

Just for example. My Bindows Experence level is 5.9 in W7 and only 5.8 in Vista??? Who Knows. But as previously mentioned I will actually Hand over some cash for this New OS from Microsoft when it is released.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

This is what I expected with Windows 7, i.e. you would have to go through Vista first. For those of us still on XP, believe MS should offer a special "pain and suffering" price for Vista , just to have it so we can upgrade to W7. My current position is... ahem... screw them... for now at least. Just ordered XP 64bit. A drop in the bucket price... got a good deal and it is NOT the academic version... compared to what I've seen for a full install W7 (not upgrade), which is what I'd want with such a massive operating system architecture change/upgrade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information