Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: TweakTown’s New PSU Testing Methodology Explained

Default TweakTown’s New PSU Testing Methodology Explained

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "TweakTown’s New PSU Testing Methodology Explained"

Default Re: TweakTown’s New PSU Testing Methodology Explained

Well, After reading this article its great you guys are considering new ways to test power supplies that will be a definitive answer for people when purchasing a power supply. But my only objection is the 2400w power conditioner. Everyday end users are not going to have a line conditioner or in most cases are not going to have surge protector with this technology built in. It seems like the only impractical part of your testing. Please don't misunderstand, I know the importance of this device. It's just not something I believe your going for find in the majority of homes. Instead of emulating a "perfect world setup" Why not a Real world situation?

Quote Originally Posted by brainleak View Post
    Well, After reading this article its great you guys are considering new ways to test power supplies that will be a definitive answer for people when purchasing a power supply. But my only objection is the 2400w power conditioner. Everyday end users are not going to have a line conditioner or in most cases are not going to have surge protector with this technology built in. It seems like the only impractical part of your testing. Please don't misunderstand, I know the importance of this device. It's just not something I believe your going for find in the majority of homes. Instead of emulating a "perfect world setup" Why not a Real world situation?
    That is a good point. And, we had considered that, but, we also want to be fair to the PSU tested. Item A could test at 121V one day and Item B the next at 115V. Item B is now at a disadvantage. The item reflects the potential of each PSU at a constant 120V instead of adding another variable. Ripple measurement would also be affected by variable noise and electrical input. I understand the realworld item, but everyone's world is just a little different. Maybe a little too different. This standard 120V input evens out the playing field so that when we fail a PSU for claiming performance that does not deliver, we are failing the PSU, not the electric company.

As for the technology, it is not very expensive and works like a champ. I have used one of these on my systems for a long time to get that last bit of potential from my OC efforts. Check them out, they are not that much money considering how much they can help. I highly recommend using something like this.

1200 Watt APC - about $50 US - http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-120...ZBDZ431A2WANH4

1200 Watt Tripp Lite - about $110 US - Amazon.com: Tripp Lite LC1200 1200W Line Conditioner w/ IsPRar Protection 4 outlets 120V: Electronics

There are also 220V-240V versions, as well.

Instead, to address the real world scenario that is also repeatable, we will instead be employing a variac. This will allow us to test 110V in a consistent, repeatable manner.
    Last edited by HeavyH20; 02-17-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks for putting some validity to this for me, heavy. It makes a lot more sense now that your just trying creating a level ground for each PSU.

No problem. It was an insightful question.

Thread Information