Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 PCI-E x4 SATA RAID Controller

Default HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 PCI-E x4 SATA RAID Controller

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 PCI-E x4 SATA RAID Controller"

Default Re: HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 PCI-E x4 SATA RAID Controller

I installed a HighPoint 2310 in a Dell PowerEdge SC430 (low-end fileserver) a few months ago...not a lot of fun. There was nothing I could do to get the server to boot from the RAID card, and ended up disabling the INT13 via the BIOS flashing method. I hated losing drive redundancy on the OS, but at least still have my 3TB of file storage in RAID5.

I'm now looking for what might be the best way to back up all of this data, without building a similar server. Maybe some 3TB drives will hit the market soon.

I have (2) 64GB G.Skill solid state drives that I thought I might try on a HighPoint in RAID 0, just for my desktop. Read speed on a single drive tops out at 180MB/s so RAID 0 should fly...but I'm thinking I won't even be able to boot from it in my Dell desktop (INT13 problem)... Are there any other controllers under for $200 that generally work better than the HighPoints?

Thanks,

Mike
    http://www.solidstatedrivehome.com/forums/

There are many options, Adaptec, LSI and many others make controllers. It is hard to beat some of the deals on enterprise drives that are on EBay. The Dell Perc 5 is a very nice controller and they are selling for dirt cheap, sometimes as low as 100 USD.

Dell Perc 5i PCI-Ex8 SAS RAID Controller w/512M card - eBay (item 110414906444 end time Jul-27-09 10:23:59 PDT)

Just be sure to get something with cables included because the cables can sometimes cost as much as the controller.

Thanks for the info and link, didn't even think to look for any old Perc controllers. I'll read up on that model to make sure it'll work for my application. If it performs well, that is one heck of a price.

Yep, server tech comes and goes so fast there are always hot deals out there if you look hard enough. I have no idea how many 15K Seagate drives I have purchased off of EBay over the years but I have ran an array of every single model they ever put out.

Thread Information