Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 120GB Solid State Drive Review

Default OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 120GB Solid State Drive Review

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 120GB Solid State Drive Review"

Default Re: OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 120GB Solid State Drive Review

This is one fast SSD.
    Going Broke Saving Money

Excellent review, thank you

I was ready to pull the trigger on the new OCZ 3 SSD but this great review has me rethinking now.
    Kipper
    Hardware/Software Reviewer

I actually learned something today after the article went live that should make this drive faster than the Vertex 3 120GB if it's true. OWC is claiming that the Mercury Extreme Pro is using all 16 channels of the controller and that OCZ is only using 8. My OCZ 120GB retail drive just shipped yesterday and should be here either tomorrow (Friday) or early next week.

I've had company at the house all day today so I'm just now able to start verifying the claims. I also need to pull out the SandForce documents that list all of the details for each new controller they released. Some of the controllers use 8 channels but each channel can have two flash chips per channel. Before I get into it all I need to refer back to that document and the cheat sheet I made.

In my Introduction to SF-2000 Series article I made it a point to state that SandForce left a lot of variables open so manufactures can really play around with different flash, different combination of controllers and such. It's too bad I didn't pay closer attention to those details before the article went live. Usually with a launch like this everything coming out of the door is a cookie cutter image of what everyone else is doing. If OWC managed to pull off a true 'custom' job right out of the gate I'd be really surprised.

That might sound like a bad thing so let me explain it. OCZ hasn't announced 10 SandForce 2000 Series products just yet. We know there will be all kinds of part numbers coming, that is what they do. Companies that are usually very early to the SSD party, G.Skill, Corsair, Patriot and ADATA don't have products ready, at least not to the point of sampling them to guys like me. Then you have OWC, thecompany that wasn't even on our radar 14 months ago is kicking out products way before the usual suspects AND do so with products that are outperforming the kings of modern age SSDs.

As I said in the article though, it is an odd and difficult time for reviewing next gen products. They are starting to show up but in different capacities so direct comparisons aren't really possible but everyone still wants to get that answer they come here for, what one should I buy and at what price point should I look for it at. At this time I can't produce the golden ticket for you guys, those answers will come in a few days but the waters will really get clouded once we start seeing the rest of the Team SandForce drives.

Anyhow, look for a few changes to the article tonight. The specifications page will be changed a little and the thoughts on the cost may change as well. The direct OCZ 120GB vs. OWC 120GB will come next week and at that point we'll know where these two really fast drives stand.

Well the review has me sold. I emailed OWC to ask when the Pro 6 would be available; they said they are expecting several to be ready for shipment out over the next couple of days.

They sent me their link to pre-order and I jumped all over it.

OWC OWCSSDMX6G120 120GB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD... $319.99 at OWC
    Kipper

At this stage in the game, if I was ordering this would be the direction I'd go.

FedEx tracking has it coming in on the 21st. I have a new in the box B3 P8P67 Deluxe, 2600K and a couple sets of RAM sitting on the test bench all ready for some testing. Just waiting on that drive to arrive.
    Kipper

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Great read Chris, thanks!

Can't wait to see a handful of drives like this on a X79 board!

Thread Information