Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi R250 (Radeon 8500 MAXX)?

Quote Originally Posted by ztadmin
    That image is definitely not real, and I highly doubt it came from ATi. Here's why:

TweakTown would certainly not be the first site to receive this information if it was leaked. The Register or another larger site would have gotten to it before TweakTown. No offense to TweakTown, but chances are the info would have gone to a larger site first. If this information came officially came from ATi, they would not send an image that was so poorly edited. If you go to ATi's online press room and look at all their other press kits, the images are perfect. They wouldn't just all of a sudden release a crappily edited photo. Also, ATi sure as hell wouldn't go to TweakTown with this information first. Again, no offense to TweakTown, but ATi would talk to Tom's Hardware and AnandTech first. TweakTown would definitely not be high on their list.

So, in that case, where did the photo come from? That should be pretty obvious. "Mr. Tweak" isn't dumb enough to release material under NDA (this material would be under NDA if it was real) because if he did, he could forget about ever getting samples from ATi to review again. However, Mr. Tweak understands that if he has news about this new Radeon MAXX, bigger sites like AnandTech (which is how i got here) will link to his "leak" and he will get quite a bit of traffic from it. After all, who out of AnandTech's 2 million readers doesn't want to hear about this new Radeon MAXX. What is the result? Mr. Tweak makes a pretty penny on his advertisements because his traffic increases.

It isn't easy running a tech site like this right now - ad rates are lower than ever and it is even beginning to become hard to find advertisers. So ask yourself this: would you make up information and photoshop and image to help boost your business and make some extra bucks? Maybe you wouldn't, but at least think of the number of people you know who would.

Is this hot new info about an ATi graphics card? No, although some of it is probably true. Is this a scheme by ATi to hurt GeForce4 sales? No. ATi would have done a better job. Is this some scheme by a site owner to make some extra cash and boost his reader base? You can decide for yourself, but it is clear that this image is not real and that this information is not from ATi.

On the other hand, ATi does have an R250 product, they will release a new board for Comdex Fall 2002, and the R300 is shceduled to come out sometime next spring, but driver issues will likely delay it to at least June.
    Firstly, the email was not just sent to us but a number of other high profile sites. I managed to post the scoop first and the reason I'm tipping you didn't see any info posted on these bigger sites was because of advertising contracts between x and ATi which I know they are forking a lot of cash out for at the moment.

As far as I'm concerned you should believe this info - I can't say who it came from but I think in two weeks time you'll see this card being released. Maybe the picture isn't real, but then again maybe the card itself isn't ready yet and they just created an picture of what they thought the card may look like for final release.

Now onto your third comment about the advertising, for your information TweakTown does not do any CPM advertising, so I really couldn't careless how much traffic we do, as far as advertising dollars goes - And I don't even have a copy of photo shop installed and would not have the faintest idea how to use it, especially to that degree.

You're right though, because the industry is currently in a hole advertising is hard to come by - and that sucks.

The role of media is to cause attention, and if you owned your own website and were given some *exclusive news* which you were fairly certain was true and accurate, you would be silly if you didn't post it which at the very least would give everyone some juicy stuff to read, which I am sure you've all found interesting, right?

The conclusions you've drawn are unfounded - I have a copy of the e-mail sitting in my inbox if I need to prove myself. The person who sent it to me won't be happy but if I have to prove myself, I will.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Hell, I just looked at the card and could tell it was fake. The proportion looks completely wrong. Everything is a bit skewed, some of the parts seem to be the wrong size for their location (distance from camera). Information from ATi wouldn;t be filled with parenthesis and little anecdotal explanations. It doesn't read like the usual marketing speak.

HACK THE PLANET -
    NOOOoB!
    HACK THE PLANET
    i am ZERO COOL

Quote Originally Posted by NOOoB oF DEAtH
    Hell, I just looked at the card and could tell it was fake. The proportion looks completely wrong. Everything is a bit skewed, some of the parts seem to be the wrong size for their location (distance from camera). Information from ATi wouldn;t be filled with parenthesis and little anecdotal explanations. It doesn't read like the usual marketing speak.

HACK THE PLANET -
    To me it read like an internal document to prep the person for whoever would prepare the press releases.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

i wouldnt mind hearing from another site that got this info

EDIT: i knew those heatsinks looked familier : Radeon1, 7500? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by pgarza
    that image is a combination of the image of a radeon 64MB and the image of a radeon 7500 (both from the ATI webpage) and some extras..

the front of the card is from the 7500 and the back is from the 8500..

also they do did a decent job with photoshop... but please dont take us as fools .... we are not drunk...

look what i did in about 5 minutes with the photoshop, i didnt add the 2nd gpu... it will take maybe another 5 minutes, also i didnt adjust the colors or contrast...
    Now that's interesting - Let's see what happens in a couple weeks time.

I can see the image is fake, as well, and it probably is - Imagine it like this, if this document (and image) was being spread around the marketing department at ATi with the purpose to give less tech-savvy PR's a better idea of what the final product would look like so they can write about it and give cilents a better idea, it would do a great job of doing just that -- If the card wasn't phsyically ready, which I would have thought it would have been if they were in the process of preparing press releases and so forth. Maybe the image was actually photoshopped for that exact reason - I couldn't say for sure of course, nor am I making up excuses, they're just ideas!
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Here's what I think. Looking from past record, Anandtech only put things up in their news section which they believe are true. This was in the news section, so their should be an element of truth in it. Anandtech are usually in the know regarding upcoming products.

Weshy.

The following sites were also sent the news...

mikhailtech.com
    ixbt.com
    pcpowerzone.co.uk
    hardocp.com
    tweakers.com.au
    ocworkbench.com
    tomshardware.com

Anyone is welcome to approach any of these sites for confirmation of the e-mail - If they are telling you the truth, they will tell you the samething I know.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Mr. Tweak, i am not saying the information is fake, i am only saying that the image is FAKE, and that is for sure.

your point have validity, they maybe did that image to inspire PR people to write something good.

Quote Originally Posted by Weshy
    Here's what I think. Looking from past record, Anandtech only put things up in their news section which they believe are true. This was in the news section, so their should be an element of truth in it. Anandtech are usually in the know regarding upcoming products.

Weshy.
    I hope that's the case because if so, this card is going to rock! :)
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by pgarza
    Mr. Tweak, i am not saying the information is fake, i am only saying that the image is FAKE, and that is for sure.

your point have validity, they maybe did that image to inspire PR people to write something good.
    Yep - It was just an idea, but it makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information