Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm building a new computer

Hehe get the Klipsch 5.1 system :D.

I'm on a tight budget. ;)

ok guys, i'm back...installed WinXP...yesterday i stopped at a computer store...and the guy was trying to sell me on a P4 /533 FSB system....he made some good points...but it'll cost me ~$300 extra...(cpu & mainboard) it would be a 2.26Ghz 533fsb chip...compared to an athlonxp 1800+ ....what do you guys think...would it be worth it or not ??? thx...
    :?: :?:

Hey wiggo, you will love your processor! It is the same as mine! And if you put it in a fast MB...watch out! You can overclock it at pretty good speeds too!

I really do not think you will see that much a difference and it cost more money. The only way it would be better is if you get Rambus Ram, PC1066...and it cost alot to(512=@379USD)! I would save the money, but buy a KT400 board, that way you will be able to upgrade your AMD processor to FSB333 (2800, due in october) without having to get a new motherboard! Plus 8x AGP!!! Unless you are getting a DDR333 board extremely cheap....i would not spend the $ on it, especially with the new mobos on the horizin...(which will mean price drop on the 333 boards)

Wait or buy wait or buy - tough choice but unless you go the 1066 route why get a 2.26 in the first place?

If you are going the Intel route I'd wait. The 3 GHz processors will require a new motherboard to support the higher 70W power output spec.

And if you go the AMD route I'd wait for SIS, nVidia, and VIA to come out with their latest offerings. Although, SIS and nVidia (especially nVidia) looks like they may have the best DDR400 implementation.

It was reported on the Inquirer that the VIA KT333 CE chipset for most of the good quality motherboard manufacturers already have implemented a 166 MHz CPU FSB upgrade path.

TweakTown's review of the Epox 8K5A3+ didn't look too bad. These boards are reasonably priced and have always been good overclockers.

Personal preference - you will most likely be happy with whichever platform you chose. Go for the best price/performance and features and you'll be happy.

Personally I prefer AMD, but I don't hate anyone who decides to buy an Intel P4. The "Northwood" core is respectable in performance.

Barton I believe will be much better, though. But that is not until the beginning of next year in my estimation (UMC won't start ramping until then from what AMD reports). Of course, "Hammer" is supposed to make its introduction around that time as well...so it will make a buying decision that much tougher!

So good luck and enjoy whatever your decision. You'll be happy either way, I believe.

CuriousMan - Where can I find Enquirer?

Thanks Ehhe. Wish they translated the Japanese parts for us too.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information