Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm building a new computer

Correct...

Mike's old stomping grounds is not bad either....:laugh:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/29/index.html

Although, he'd probably disagree....:no:

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousMan
    If you are going the Intel route I'd wait. The 3 GHz processors will require a new motherboard to support the higher 70W power output spec.

Barton I believe will be much better, though. But that is not until the beginning of next year in my estimation (UMC won't start ramping until then from what AMD reports). Of course, "Hammer" is supposed to make its introduction around that time as well...so it will make a buying decision that much tougher!

So good luck and enjoy whatever your decision. You'll be happy either way, I believe.
    The 3Ghz P4's will require a new mobo ? forget that idea then..
    Will barton require a new mobo also ? Or would a KT400 mobo do the job ?
    again, thx for your help...

From all indications from AMD and most of the motherboard/chipset manufacturers, no. Most Socket-A (not all) will only require an updated BIOS. Very easily done.

If you are building or buying a new system, by all means go with the latest chipset releases to get the more advanced feature sets.

I'm waiting for VIA, SIS, and especially nVidia (nForce2) to come out. I'll read the numerous benchmarks and view the feature comparisons and make my decision. Whichever one offers the best price/performance features set will get my nod.

I'm thinking that the nForce2 will probably get my nod. But I'll patiently wait and see.

But definitely, the feature sets in the upcomming chipsets are worth the wait IMHO.

Basically this PC that I'm building will be the last Socket A setup as by the time I need to upgrade the "Clawhammers" be out and any 1st up "bugs" should well and truely taken care of. The EPoX EP-8K5A3+ motherboard should be able to handle a "Barton" upgrade though. ;)

As for the XP 2000+ I've found most to get around 1800MHz but there are those odd few that fall or that few that will go well beyond. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I really like the new Thoroughbred revision. The new revised core is worth serious consideration IMHO. Of course they not out yet, but if you plan on waiting a little while longer, I would give serious consideration to it.

Otherwise, I think the most economical course is to buy a XP1600 and unlock it. The latest releases are very good overclockers...but, unfortunately, there is no way of determining which ones will be good OC'rs and which ones won't when making a purchase.

That's the downside...but, if you find a good one! :lips: Wow, what a bargain!!!

Thanks for the link to the register

You are most welcomed. And thank you for the acknowledgement. I love reading tech site info. My bookmarks are quite extensive!:p

Exactly how do you keep them straight? Finding what I already have is a problem for me.

So true, I run into that problem as well. I try to catalog the sites according to the info they best provide.
    Tech news
    CPU architecture
    3D/Graphics
    Gaming/Video
    DTP/CAD/Illustration sites
    OS sites
    And the hardest of all - Review sites!!!

Review sites I catalog by how often they update their sites with useful information - reviews, news, good tech articles etc.
    Then I list them in a folder of visit daily, weekly, monthly.

A cursory first hit on the index page with a quick perusal usually gives me a good indication if something is worth reading further....

But, I still find the task of cataloging a chore....like you I just do the best I can...

Since I enjoy it, it is not terribly unbearable!

It looks as if I'll need to get much more organized than I am. I am forced to be so organized so much of the time that I tend to resist it on occasions such as this.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information