Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RunCore Pro PATA Mini Zif SSD - Acer Aspire One

Default Re: RunCore Pro PATA Mini Zif SSD - Acer Aspire One

Quote Originally Posted by josephdebono View Post
    Is there any way to check whether a particular SSD will work with my Aspire One? Maybe some batch number or something?
    You can order from Solid State Central - they have them in stock and they are definitely the ones that work, as I just ordered from them and had to wait for stock to come in, and it was the unit which works with the Aspire One.

Their website is http://www.solidstatecentral.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by kaldek View Post
    Just as an FYI for other users, my drive was not stable at UDMA 5 (ATA 100) speeds and it kept having Blue-screen-of-death errors and Windows freezing with the disk access light stuck on.

This was diagnosed as the ZIF cables not working well with UDMA 5, and was fixed by locking the IDE controller in Windows to a maximum speed of UDMA 4. Instructions for this are in another post I made in this thread.
    forgive me if i am wrong, but wouldnt a better solution be to get a proper rated zif cable?

can you post read and write benchmarks for your installed upgraded ssd??
    google 'atto benchmark' if you dont have the s/ware...

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by hunimonstr View Post
    forgive me if i am wrong, but wouldnt a better solution be to get a proper rated zif cable?

can you post read and write benchmarks for your installed upgraded ssd?
    I don't think 80-wire ZIF cables even exist. If anything, there is probably a maximum length of a 40-wire ZIF cable before UDMA 5 causes problems.

I'll download that benchmark, run it and let you know thw results.

OK I have the benchmarks:

Attachment 1462

Looks like it's about 45MB/s read and 40MB/s write - at UDMA 4 (66MB/s) bus speed. No antivirus was running at the time of the test.

We should probably ask nTrance to run the benchmark as he has his at UDMA 5 (using the really short cable that came with the drive) with good stability.
    Last edited by kaldek; 08-18-2009 at 11:16 AM.

I don't think 80-wire ZIF cables even exist. If anything, there is probably a maximum length of a 40-wire ZIF cable before UDMA 5 causes problems.

thanks, the reason for my interest and ignorance is that I have been asked to help a pal with an acer aspire one 9" to upgrade his netbook after I successfully upgraded my asus 901. Zif connectors is not an interface I have worked with, and the only guides i have seen for this upgrade involve minor modding of the case to allow the replacement ssd to sit in/close to the original ssd space, therefore I am unaware of the need for a longer cable..

could I ask a further favour? could you post a link to the details of your upgrade if possible... many thanks in advance...

I'll download that benchmark, run it and let you know thw results.

I have seen your posted results, Thanks, I shall get my pal to run the same benchmark so we can see the metrics of improvement offered by this upgrade

I am very pleased to find people having success with this as until now all I have seen is tales of woe..

Quote Originally Posted by ntrance View Post
    Hot-damn, that UDMA4 really is nerfing the read speed.

The overhead of the ATA protocol probably explains the maximum read speed topping out at about 20MB/s less than the theoretical maximum (66MB/s and 100MB/s, respectively). Of course the stats from RunCore show it as 80MB/s sustained read, so I wonder if it would even be possible to hit that on a UDMA5 interface.

Good to see my write speed is about the same though. I can live with a few more seconds of load time for the sake of stability. I just can't be buggered opening the case up for the gazillionth time and buying some more ZIF cables for that extra 20MB/s. Still way faster than the original 8GB SSD which was horrrendously slow!

kaldek, sorry I have not been keeping up with this tread but it looks like you guys got them finally.

Those are some good benchmarks for that computer.

The Runcore drive probably makes the computer around 2-3X faster.

What would you say from using it?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
    kaldek, sorry I have not been keeping up with this tread but it looks like you guys got them finally.

Those are some good benchmarks for that computer.

The Runcore drive probably makes the computer around 2-3X faster.

What would you say from using it?

Matt
    I'd say that it's much more than 2-3X faster than the original 8GB SSD. Just for laughs, I imaged my system onto the old 8GB drive and booted from it to see what would happen. It was basically unusable, and I had already disabled paging files, prefetching, and all the other stuff to make XP SSD friendly.

If people beg me enough, I'll put the 8GB disk back in and run the benchmark on that for the numerical comparison.

In conclusion though, this is an excellent upgrade to the original Aspire One 110. I actually much prefer this solution over the A150 with its 160GB hard disk, as the 32GB is plenty of usable capacity for the operating system and applications, whilst allowing SD cards to be stuck in the left slot for documents or other items which need to be portable. And I can still chuck it onto the bed or couch while it's turned on, with no damage. This is what Netbooks *should* be, not some fragile thing.

The fact that it comes with a screwdriver and cables in the box as well, and is literally a replacement to fit in the same space in the case is brilliant. Top marks!
    Last edited by kaldek; 08-19-2009 at 06:55 AM.

OK, here's the update I promised:

Got my 32 GB Mini Zif last week and installed it immediately. I used the longer cable that came with it and also the original one but wasn't able to install windows. The setup kept aborting while copying driver.cab.

Didn't try the short cable though. But I can't imagine it's possible to connect the drive and fix it where it belongs. Any other experiences?

Well, finally I reinstalled the original drive, installed Windows and used the USB connector to clone the drive to the Runcore SSD. Then I installed it again. When I started the computer, it booted and then crashed with a blue screen. Till then, it always showed a blue screen while booting. Safe mode worked though.

If I read kaldeks post early enough, I wouldn't have tried to update the BIOS, which killed the system. Not even BIOS recovery works. Well, but in the end that's my fault and the drive has nothing to do with it.

Folks out there: Read kaldeks post and either limit the speed to UDMA 4 or install it like nTrance.
    Link: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f78/zif-...24/#post312205

However, in the short period of time I had the chance of testing it, it really worked out well and there was a notable performance boost. Looking forward to receiving my beauty back from Acer (it has a pizza box-like sticker on it to ultimately prevent theft :-D).

BTW: If you want to stay informed regarding Google's netbook operating system Chrome OS, check out my blog at Chrome OS-Blog.com – News and support for Google’s open source operating system .
    Last edited by aaouser; 08-20-2009 at 05:56 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information