Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: RunCore Pro PATA Mini Zif SSD - Acer Aspire One

Default Re: RunCore Pro PATA Mini Zif SSD - Acer Aspire One

Quote Originally Posted by aaouser View Post
    If I read kaldeks post early enough, I wouldn't have tried to update the BIOS, which killed the system. Not even BIOS recovery works. Well, but in the end that's my fault and the drive has nothing to do with it.

Folks out there: Read kaldeks post and either limit the speed to UDMA 4 or install it like nTrance.
    Link: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f78/zif-...24/#post312205
    Just as an appendix to that, there is some additional advice regarding the drive and connecting it:

• The runcore SSD socket is not as "simple" as the stock 8GB drive. You may need to close the clip and then push it in towards the back of the socket. I needed to use a fair bit of force using my fingernails to do this, but it applied a good deal more pressure to the cable, pushing the contacts together.
      • If you can very easily pull the ZIF cable out of the SSD, you haven't secured it enough. It should be just as hard to pull it from here as it is to pull it from the motherboard socket.
    • If your system won't stay stable long enough to alter the UDMA registry setting, try booting in safe mode to make the changes.
    • If you want to use a very short ZIF cable, you won't be able to screw the SSD down to the chassis. In this case, you need to provide some padding to secure the SSD in the right general location. Note that too much flex on the ZIF cable may cause it to pop out of the socket on the SSD.
      • You may be able - like nTrance did - to use the short cable and flip your SSD upside down, and have the ZIF cable facing the LCD screen. As with anything, your mileage may vary on doing this!

I just received the SSD and installed it on my Acer Aspire One.

Windows installed correctly but it keeps crashing all the time since I changed the hard disk.

After two or three times having to restart because of the crash, windows just fails to load completely. It gets stuck on the progress bar before loading.

Any idea what it could be?

It was working fine, albeit incredibly slow before I did this procedure...

You think the SSD could be over heating or something?

Edit: I'm trying to install Windows and it keeps stopping while "Expanding Windows files".

Edit 2: Everything works fine if I open the AAO (up to removing the top plate which is below the keyboard) Do you think that when closing up the thing there could be some pressure being applied which causes problems? Should overheating be any problem at all strictly speaking?
    Last edited by josephdebono; 09-01-2009 at 01:16 AM.

Overheating should not be an issue.

It must have something to do with the connection.

Not sure if you have already tried this but try to make sure the cable is not being moved by the keyboard when installing the keyboard.

Matt Dawson
    Runcore CMO

It shouldn't be moving. I'll check to make sure again. Problem is that from what I've tried only the short (5cm?) cable seems to be working at all and therefore I can't put the SSD in the place where the previous SSD was located so basically now it's attached using padded double sided tape.

As I said the cable *shouldn't* be moving. The SSD is located upside down directly under the slot where it connects to the motherboard and the cable is in a C shape looping from the top to the bottom.

I've been trying various setups and that seemed to be the best fit. Since it is already dismantled i'll make sure that the cable remains in place when closed.

Do you suggest that I perhaps tape it down to make sure it doesn't move?

josephdebono, I had exactly the same problems as you are having. Try transferring the ferrite choke that came with the original ZIF cable to your short cable, or limiting the ZIF interface to UDMA4 as described by kaldek here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f78/zif-...24/#post312205

Quote Originally Posted by ntrance View Post
    josephdebono, I had exactly the same problems as you are having. Try transferring the ferrite choke that came with the original ZIF cable to your short cable, or limiting the ZIF interface to UDMA4 as described by kaldek here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f78/zif-...24/#post312205
    Thanks! I'll try the UDMA4 tweak as soon as i manage to get Windows back up and running. However butting the ferrite choke seems to be impossible with that length of cable.

Do you know if there exists a picture of how the RunCore SSD is placed inside the AAO?

I seem to have managed to find a position that works and i attached the choke using double sided tape to keep the cable in place.

So far - stable :]
    I'll shake the netbook around a bit and see if it stays okay :D

Quote Originally Posted by josephdebono View Post
    I seem to have managed to find a position that works and i attached the choke using double sided tape to keep the cable in place.

So far - stable :]
    I'll shake the netbook around a bit and see if it stays okay :D
    Mate those are some good speeds you're getting there. It's amazing how much difference that short cable makes.

I'm sure that someone probably makes high quality ZIF cables which can operate at UDMA5 over longer lengths, but finding them would take a while I bet.

Hey guys, another update on this topic:

I got my AAO back from Acer Support Germany (BIOS was gone), free of charge, although they must have noticed I opened it a hundred times and the warranty was expired, too.

However, I got it back and it worked. Then, I installed my 32 GB Runcore SSD with the SHORT cable that came with it (with the connectors on the same side of the cable), without any twisting, left the netbook disassembled and installed Windows 7 Professional from MSDN on it. Everything worked fine, I got 60 MB/s read and 40 MB/s write with HD Tune Pro. But as soon as I twisted the cable, Windows freezed from time to time. By the way, the UDMA 4 limit described by kaldek doesn't work with 7.

However, then I installed XP SP3 again. As soon as I left the whole thing disassembled it worked well. But with the twisted cable when it is assembled it always crashed. Transferring the blue thingy with the letters MB on it from the original cable to the Runcore cable made it crash less often. From what I experienced, the motherboard end of the cable is the problem. Nevertheless, I limited UDMA speed to 4 and got this result:

Still pretty good. After system encryption with True Crypt 6.2a (which also works with Windows 7 by the way) I got this result:

That's really a lot better than with the old SSD. And the limiting factor now is obviously the CPU, not the SSD... It takes approx. 25 seconds to boot after I installed all the programs I need. Didn't test hibernation yet.
    Last edited by aaouser; 09-08-2009 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aaouser View Post
    By the way, the UDMA 4 limit described by kaldek doesn't work with 7.
    Yeah it will be buried somewhere else in Windows 7. I think it was blind luck that somebody found out how to do it in XP - I found it on a blog written by a guy who only had to work it out because he had some server-style disk caddies (for easy disk removal) which could only support UDMA4 when he had UDMA5 disks in them.

If it wasn't for that, I'd never have found and posted the solution. :-/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information