Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: RunCore Pro PATA Mini Zif SSD - Acer Aspire One

Default Re: RunCore Pro PATA Mini Zif SSD - Acer Aspire One

Is anyone at Runcore looking into the marginal stability seen with the Mini ZIF drive in the Acer Aspire One? It is definitely not the simple drop in replacement it should be. From what I see elsewhere the Super Talent option is trouble free, and does not require the shenanigans that this Runcore drive does. Is there a way to permanently set the max transfer mode to udma4 in the firmware, as an alternative to the registry setting provided by kaldek. That could be a solution for Windows 7 and any other operating system. A better solution would be for the engineers to revise the hardware to eliminate the issue all together as other drive manufacturers seem to have been able to do.

What brings about these questions is that my setup is no longer trouble free. The first problem occurred after my netbook fell to the carpet. It would not boot after that and the drive activity LED would remain solid green. I imagine what happened is that the cable was jostled slightly out of position due to the fact that the original piece of double sided tape on the ferrite choke had lost much of its tackiness thereby allowing the choke (which has a relatively large mass) to move the cable on impact. After that, I removed a portion of the plastic wall in the ACER case and remounted the drive diagonally across the original mounting holes in such a way that that it allowed for more gentle bends in the short cable. I reattached the ferrite choke and it worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then, it started freezing in Windows again and eventually became corrupted to the point where the machine would no longer boot along with a bootmgr is missing error.

Quote Originally Posted by ntrance View Post
    What brings about these questions is that my setup is no longer trouble free. The first problem occurred after my netbook fell to the carpet. It would not boot after that and the drive activity LED would remain solid green. I imagine what happened is that the cable was jostled slightly out of position due to the fact that the original piece of double sided tape on the ferrite choke had lost much of its tackiness thereby allowing the choke (which has a relatively large mass) to move the cable on impact. After that, I removed a portion of the plastic wall in the ACER case and remounted the drive diagonally across the original mounting holes in such a way that that it allowed for more gentle bends in the short cable. I reattached the ferrite choke and it worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then, it started freezing in Windows again and eventually became corrupted to the point where the machine would no longer boot along with a bootmgr is missing error.
    I've had at least one occurrence of the same problem, which required re-seating the cables and restoring from backup as the disk was wickedly corrupted.

Ultimately I think the PATA interface is the root cause here. If you are a hardware hacker, there are some options. The disk controller on the motherboard supports SATA but on our models the SATA header is not soldered onto the board. You could solder a SATA header on and purchase a SATA-interface SSD, which would likely solve all of the problems.

There are instructions for soldering a SATA header here: http://maximumoverclock.com/?p=13
    Last edited by kaldek; 10-12-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added link to SATA header install.

Thanks kaldek. I just have to wonder though if it is is purely the PATA interface or if Runcore did not address all signal integrity concerns with this design. Other manufacturers, like Mtron, can make ZIF drives that work just as fast with no reports of problems like this that I have seen. I was aware of the SATA mod, but opted for this Runcore drive instead thinking it would be the easier route. In retrospect, the SATA mod may have been the better choice. Here is another guide that also gives some details on the the power solder points.

I have the same issues as discussed above, i usually just press on the keyboard on the place where i assume the motherboard connector is and it boots up correctly.

Does anyone have a good solution for this?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information