Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 1.8 Pata Zif and USB case

Default 1.8 Pata Zif and USB case

Just recieved my 1.8 Pata Zif SSD. It doesn't have a USB port but came with a USB case. The SSD goes in the case and connects to the USB board via the Zif cable. Does anyone know what the orientation of the cable is to the Zif connectors on the drive and USB board? For example connection side of the cable face down towards the drive and board?

Default Re: 1.8 Pata Zif and USB case

Just as update after trying different things. First the package had no instructions. If you place the drive in the case where as the drive Zif connector (which is really a Lif) is facing up and at the same time the Zif connector on the USB board is facing up (which is really a Zif connector), then it assumed that is correct oriention. In this orientation the connectors lline up for the straight cable that is sent. Unfortunately this is incorrect. I had to insert the very tight cable into the Lif connector on the drive with non contact side of the cable down toward the drive (tinned side up), then flip the drive in the case where as the connector on the drive is flipped opposite of the USB board, then plug the cable into the USB board connector contact side down toward that board. Now the drive and USB board connectors do not algn at can't be placed in the case. But the drive is seen.

I then got this note from RunCore:

Dear Valued Customer,
    It has recently come to our attention that the zif cable in the HP mini
    does not work with the new Runcore 1.8" Zif drives we recently shipped
    to you. Today we are authorizing shipments of the correct cable to you
    which you will receive in a few days, We are very sorry for this
    inconvenience. Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

...Tim

hope you rma works better after got the correct connector ok!
    What is your device?
    Its tiring to get answers about compatibility from runcore support here....

I got it working using the wrong cable they sent, I just can't put the cover on the usb case (the alignment of the connectors are offset). The main problem is it was a lot of trial and error figuring out which way the usb board and ssd wanted the tinned side of the cable faced (usb was fairly easy to figure out but drive wasn't). The other problem is the Lif connector on the drive is so tight that it destroys the tinned surfaces of the cable putting it in because so much force has to be used). There's no documentation online or sent for them. I am just hoping once I clone it, that it will fit in my machine. I bought this just as an experiment to install in my Lenovo U110 (which is a pain because the laptop has to be taking apart to get to the drive. There's no access panels). If it won't work, I will try something else. My main reason for buying it was speed vs others and the fact it had the built in usb which now isn't the case (they completely removed the usb micro interface from the new drives). That was one of RunCore's biggest factors in my opinion in picking it vs others. I guess they ran out of realestate on the drive.

...Tim

Forgot to mention, it's a 1.8 Pata Zif 128Gb

Recieved new cable today. It's different but still not the correct cable to be used in the RunCore external USB case. The cable needed should have an offset in it because the connectors are not adjacent from each other, they are offset about a 1/4 of an inch. Still no responce from RunCore here on this issue. ...Tim

RUNCORE SUPPORT, where are all of you? if runcore is still working on the problemS, please always update it to us, too much silent here from Runcore. Don't leave us with uncertainty like this...

Sorry guys here is some info that will help you get it installed.

www.mydigitaldiscount.com

Matt Dawson
    Runcore CMO
    www.Runcore.com
    www.twitter.com/runcore

I have the install instrucion, but have no idea to upload here

Here is zif/toshiba 1.8 to usb adapter, you can install zif hdd or toshiba 1.8 hdd with usb cable. it come with usb cable and zif calbes.

USB 2.0 to ZIF/LIF Adapter [109007] - $9.78 : Era Adapter

Thread Information