Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: runcore 1.8" pata zif

Default runcore 1.8" pata zif

Hi guys,

Just a note to say that i received my drive yesterday. And it is work now problem on our Sony Vaio tz31wn laptop. Only thing which took me a while to figure out was the connector is 'upsidedown' compared to the original drive so i had to mount the runcore drive upside down. This did slightly stagger the cable but it is still not kinked or folded.

All in all it works.

Default Re: runcore 1.8" pata zif

Installed RunCore 128 GB 1.8" Zif SSD in my new Lenovo U110.
    Previously had a 32 GB 1.8" Zif SSD (Mtron) in my Vaio TX15N.
    Mounts upside down and requires discarding rubber shock shroud.
    Windows 7 experience for hard drive performance increased from 4.1 to 5.9. But I've experience several occasions when the hard drive LED comes on and everything freezes (very slow motion, taking minutes for mouse clicks to respond) after finally getting task manager to come up and checking processes (many more minutes for this to finally happen) System Idle shows 98-99% and processor usage 3-5%. Points to something in the SSD hardware. Anyone else encountered "freezing" with the new SSDs?

may use a different side cable

side or size? There is only one connector on the drive.
    I understand that initial shipments of the RunCore drives had a zif connector which was extremely thin and I was supplied with a longer replacement ribbon cable which was thinner (but still was definitely not zero force insertion!). The drive works reliably "most" of the time. I just can't determine if its the drive or Windows 7 that's commandeering all the clock cycles. I was finally able to observe a freeze while W7's Performance Monitor utility was up and running: no disk activity was displayed in the files window and the graphic showed no green spikes but the blue average line was pinned along the top of the graph at 100%. Sure points to the drive. Anyone else observing this?
    Last edited by Cghullquist; 06-30-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typo

use a different side~
    1.the zif cable has two ends, one is connected to M/B, the other is to SSD;
    2.every end have two sides, one is blue, other is white. You should make the white side face down both for SSD&M/B.
    have a try:)

I disassembled the laptop (again. This is the 3rd time. I'm getting very good at it!) and realized that the SSD is using the cable that is supplied by Lenovo: it's a special proprietary "active" cable with embedded circitry/chips--probably a zif to sata adapter, as the M/B has only a few contacts. I used the replacement cable (with the white and blue ends) that was seperately shipped in the external drive case with the original Lenovo harddrive.

I have eliminated the OS as the problem, however. Added another partition and installed XP, and dual booting into it the drive still "freezes" periodically with the drive light stuck on, then finally (after 2-10 minutes) finishes doing whatever it's doing and resumes normal operation. But I do seem to get the BSOD's more with XP.

Maybe this is just a Lenovo U110 incompatibility issue. Pity. I could try the drive in my Sony, swap it with the Mtron 32GB there and see if it behaves any differently. Lot of work, but for the sake of science and progress...

yeah i have the pro mini zif installed in my mini 1000 its suppose to do 75mb read and 35mb write but i never get more than 69 read 19 write ever. I also get the same freezing you are talking about. kinda wish i had not bought it as my 16gb sandisk actually never froze up as bad. not sure what to do now as there arent alot of choices for zif connector. thinking about rigging up a zif to sata convertor. i read somewhere that its doable. jeff

Exclamation Re: runcore 1.8" pata zif

Quote Originally Posted by techger View Post
    Hi guys,

Just a note to say that i received my drive yesterday. And it is work now problem on our Sony Vaio tz31wn laptop. Only thing which took me a while to figure out was the connector is 'upsidedown' compared to the original drive so i had to mount the runcore drive upside down. This did slightly stagger the cable but it is still not kinked or folded.

All in all it works.
    Hey techger,

I just got my drive and I installed it on my Vaio TZ170N/B, the drive works fast and its ok but is configured to Ultra DMA 2 (ATA 33) and not DMA 5 (ATA 100), did you get the same issue on your TZ31WN?.

Cheers!!

CMC

I've had some success in reducing the drive freezes...at least as long as I stick to hibernation. Seems to only plague me now when starting up from a cold boot and kicks in during its load of background processes, but not with every boot.

I found a lot of helpful information at the OCZ Forum where I learned that Prefetching in Windows (which gathers together files and file fragments i.e. "partial defragmentation") counteracts the wear leveling in SSDs which attempts to scatter files about the drive intentionally. When Prefetch is left on it results in needless wear leveling activity every frew boot processes. This is exactly what I've experienced, only it's not for just a few seconds of "stuttering" as reported by the OCZ group, but many minutes sometimes, like the OS is bogged down in performing a complete disk defrag!

Here's what I've done:
    in a DOS window run: fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1 (requires reboot)
    then fsutil usn deletejournal /d C: (disables NTFS change Journal
    Disabled scheduled defragmenting of drive in drive properties, tools, defrag
    Disabled "Windows Search" service in Administrative Tools, services
    In regedit: Hkey_local_machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
    modified EnableSuperfetch from 3 to 0, same for Enableprefetcher
    Disabled "superfetch" service in Administrative Tools, services
    Disabled pagefile in My Computer, properties, advanced system settings, advanced tab, performance, settings, advanced tab, Virtual memory, change (uncheck Automatically manage paging file for all drives" & check "no paging file"

One suggestion was to make sure that the registry key for
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOpt imizeFunction\Enable is set to 'N' (rather than 'Y')
    But mine was already set to No.
    Another was to enable Write Cache, but I got a message stating that this was not being allowed by the drive.

After making these changes, I have been freeze free for over 4 days.
    Only when I did a cold boot this morning did it hang for 20 minutes with the drive light on solid before I finally powered down. Luckilly, all is well after booting again. I'm sticking with hibernate as much as possible.

Well, after a week long trip to Alaska, I'm disappointed to report that the freezing is still there. This time it was precipitated by plugging in an alien USB thumb drive that Windows 7 tried to load the driver and popped up a message saying that it was looking for "preinstalled drive folders." The drive light came on and then FREEZE. Oh, the mouse can still move around, and Task Manager eventually came up after a couple minutes. Again, the CPU was "resting" with 98% system idle reported. No OS process was hogging the clock cycles.

I'm convinced that the Runcore SSD is slamming on the brakes with hardware interrupts that essentially paralyze the OS. This is intolerable and unforgiveable. Runcore should make their disk maintenance firmware much less commendeering. Let us do something while the housekeeping stuff is going on.

I was uncertain for a while whether it was the SSD or the new OS. But I added another partition to the drive and installed XP. Freezing still happens with it as well.

Do I just have a lemon or is anyone else experiencing this? In attempting to send this post, it just went into a freeze and eventually died with a BSOD and reboot. This is my second attempt, hope it goes through this time....
    Last edited by Cghullquist; 07-28-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information