Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zif cable specification for 64GB Pata 1.8"

Default Zif cable specification for 64GB Pata 1.8"

Does anyone have access to the cable size that the 1.8" 64MB PATA should use to get a good solid connection? My drive is intermittent when mounted using the supplied cable for use in my HP mini. So it would be most helpful if someone from Runcore would publish what the correct zif or lif cable specifications should be. It would be even more helpful if the specification for both cable ends were published. Mine is the HP 1010NR, and I'm hoping to be able to use the Runcore drive inside the machine, but have only been able to get it to detect the drive an average of 1 in 6 times.

Default Re: Zif cable specification for 64GB Pata 1.8"

as follows

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ksohtml/wps_clip_image-0.png[/IMG]
    <!--EndFragment-->

Hey Rusty,

I have the 32GB version of this drive in my Aspire One, and have similar problems. Mine always detects but I get IDE controller errors, sometimes a BSOD during boot (file checksum errors), and Windows needs to drop the bus speed down to UDMA 4 to avoid the errors.

The ZIF connector on my SSD is weak - it puts very little pressure on the cable and pops open easily. I have secured it with tape, but it's not enough pressure still and the electrical connection is obviously not the best. If I push down on the connector with my finger, I get no errors in Windows and UDMA 5 speed on the IDE interface.

So, your problem may not be your cable but rather the ZIF connector on the drive. Check it out, and try to re-seat your cable a few times to see what happens.

Not able to view your image file. RustyGuy

Hey RustyGuy,

I managed to fix my SSD so that I get solid UDMA 5 (ATA 100) connections every time.

My problem turned out to be the ZIF cables themselves. The original cable with the Aspire one would not be stable at UDMA 5 and this caused either a speed drop down to UDMA 4, or if the error occurred before this it sometimes resulted in a crash (blue screen) when Windows was booting. Generally the errors were "corrupt file" messages.

Of all the cables that came with the SSD, the long cable would not work at all (massive file corruption issues). I ended up having to use the shortest cable, and place the SSD in the Aspire chassis sideways, with no screws retaining it and using some foam to act as a shock absorber. It's somewhat of a hack, but at least it works.

I'm going to purchase a few ZIF cables from wherever I can get my hands on them, and try to get a solid UDMA 5 connection between the motherboard and the SSD when it is secured in place using screws, and with the fold in the cable as it comes from the factory.

Damn.

OK, so the short cable kept overstressing the ZIF socket on the RunCore SSD (I had to fold it to make it fit) and popping the clip open. Needless to say, my machine crashed a lot over the last 24 hours.

So, I've gone back to the original cable that came with the Aspire One, and I've managed to find a way to force a maximum of UDMA 4 (66MB/s) on the IDE interface.

The following code in a .reg file will limit the IDE interface on the Aspire One secondary IDE channel (the ZIF socket) to UDMA 4. This may help other folks out there!

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002]
    "MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:fffcffff

kaldek, I was having the same problems you were having. I had also switched from the Acer Aspire One cable to the short cable provided with the SSD. This seem to eliminate all the blue screens if I left the cable straight and the drive loose and ran the computer open face. However, I still had problems when I sealed up the netbook. I removed the corner alignment tab and mounted the new SSD such that the ZIF connector was on the opposite side from the original SSD, so I was able to use the existing mounting holes. I then removed the ferrite choke from the original SSD cable, and put it on the new short SSD cable. I sealed it all back up and haven't had any problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by ntrance View Post
    kaldek, I was having the same problems you were having. I had also switched from the Acer Aspire One cable to the short cable provided with the SSD. This seem to eliminate all the blue screens if I left the cable straight and the drive loose and ran the computer open face. However, I still had problems when I sealed up the netbook. I removed the corner alignment tab and mounted the new SSD such that the ZIF connector was on the opposite side from the original SSD, so I was able to use the existing mounting holes. I then removed the ferrite choke from the original SSD cable, and put it on the new short SSD cable. I sealed it all back up and haven't had any problems since.
    Nice work! I think the only thing holding me back from doing that at the moment would be that UDMA66 seems to be plenty fast enough!

Did you find that the ZIF connector on the SSD was a bit dodgy and required a bit of force to push and lock into place? I sure did!

No, I think my ZIF connector was OK. I didn't really experience that. I did, however, mess up the cable that connects the touchpad. One of the traces partially peeled away from the cable and is now loose, so it's difficult to ensure that trace touches the correct contact.:(
    Last edited by ntrance; 08-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Hey nTrance can you downoload and run the Atto benchmark with default settings and post your results here?

I posted mine over in the other Aspire One thread. I'm getting max 45MB/s read and max 40MB/s writes at UDMA 4.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information