Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Default Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

are there any on-line instructions on opening the air and putting the runcore into the case. it looks simple but the instruction that came with are a bad copy and too faint to read and i do not want to damage the ribbon cable for the hard drive case.

Default Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

@Patcar13:

Yes, iFixit did a perfect Macbook Air teardown with clear pictures en explanations...

MacBook Air Teardown - iFixit

Agree that this is easy... have one issue. i am trying to pry off the connector for the audio from the hard drive bracket and it does not seem to want to move. any advice. i donot have the spudger and i am digging into the piece below. is this move an actual break of the plastic? any advice welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by zaxxon View Post
    Hi,

does anyone have comparison data with a photofast V3? According to them, the indilix should push 100MB/s which is the PATA maximum....
    I saw a Samsung tablet benchmark the other day with a Runcore 1.8" zif it got 98/98 read/write so the drive definitely can get that fast. I think it has a lot to do with any bottle necks in the various computers.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Patcar13 View Post
    Agree that this is easy... have one issue. i am trying to pry off the connector for the audio from the hard drive bracket and it does not seem to want to move. any advice. i donot have the spudger and i am digging into the piece below. is this move an actual break of the plastic? any advice welcomed
    I believe that is glue, not sure though.
    I do remember that afterwards not everything was as sticky as before, but it didn't bother me...

How are we going to use TRIM in MacOS? It's not (yet?) supported from the OS, yes, I know.

Will this SSD support it as soon as the OS does?

Is there an equivalent of the wiper.exe? can I run that on windows with a HFS+ formatted ssd to reclaim speed/space?

would it just do GarbageCollection in the background?

and how about that 'alignment' this that one often reads about in PC forums?
    Last edited by zaxxon; 10-17-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Matt, I need to order a couple of other drives as the tests are very good.

RUNCORE IV PRO 128

Please tell me how I can order at least one in emergency.

Gilles

I put a Runcore-IV 128 GB in my Macbook Air rev A, after the noises from my Samsung 80 GB became worse and worse.
    Installation was without problems, if not entirely painless (that damn microphone cable).

Let me say two things:

1) This thing smokes. I haven't done formal benchmarks yet, but let my just show you this:

VM: 112G + 0 668654(4166) pageins, 117415(2289) pageouts

Thats more than 2000 real-world IOPS/s in the three seconds I used as the measurement interval here. This is like an SSD should be, not the lamers that were sold first. (The Samsung HD gets, like, 100.)

2) DON'T BUY IT. It only wakes up after sleep approximately 3 out of 4 times.
    The error message is nine copies of "IOATAController device blocking bus" (I'm typing this from screen shots, as a catatonic disk of course makes sure you have no log).
    The MBA finally goes into "ATA: Device recovery failed (0x00000003), terminating device", and you have a nicely woken up laptop that thinks it doesn't have a disk.
    Works again after powerdown and reboot, but this is not the way an MBA should work.

I have the unrealistic hope there might be a firmware upgrade for this.
    Until then, I'm keeping the SSD (see 1).
    I had to "pmset -a hibernatemode 1" to get useful life out of my MBA again.
    Painful.
    Last edited by checkitout; 10-19-2009 at 06:24 AM. Reason: (clarification)

I experienced the same thing of impossibility to wake up.
    What is your "pmset -a hibernatemode 1" supposed to do?

Will it work on a 10.6.1 system?

In the mean time I just switch it off as the boot time isn't much longer than wake up ...

Quote Originally Posted by GillesB View Post
    I experienced the same thing of impossibility to wake up.
    What is your "pmset -a hibernatemode 1" supposed to do?
    It switches on immediate hibernation, so the state is always saved to disk in stead of trying to wake up from RAM. This means that on wakeup the laptop goes through power-up selftest which seems to reliably wake up the runcore.

Will it work on a 10.6.1 system?
    It should. Not tested.

In the mean time I just switch it off as the boot time isn't much longer than wake up ...
    True. But then I'd need to restart all my applications and put them in the right state -- that's a lot of work.

BTW, the SMART state of the runcore is all jumbled. So I can't ask it how it feels.

Pioneers get shot full of arrows.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread Information