Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Default Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Quote Originally Posted by poteck View Post
    Mine is a 1,6 Ghz, could you tell us how to repeat the process?
    You put it in sleep mode via the apple menu, or closing the laptop?

I want to repeat what you do in my air and check what happends.

Thanks.
    I have tried both, with the same result (1/4 to 2/5 of the time it hangs during wakeup because the Runcore blocks the ATA bus).

The normal way to use an MBA is to just close it when you are done at one meeting and open it at the next one; it usually is back to life in 2-3 seconds.
    That gives it the feeling of a "book", you no longer think about "starting" or "shutting down" the computer. (Actually, if you open it before the safesleep hibernation is done, it doesn't really go to sleep at all but just interrupts the hibernation.)

Just to see whether the lid mechanism had anything to do with the bug, I also tried the menu. The laptop wakes up when you press any key (and hangs about every third try with the Runcore).

In order to see what happens, I ran this on a root shell (sudo bash):

while sleep 3; do dmesg; done

This window must be on top when you close/sleep because you won't regain control when the wakeup hangs. When you open the lid/press any key, you can see that the system reinitializes various subsystems. It either comes back, or, after a minute or two, you get to see the error message "IOATAController device blocking bus", repeated a couple of times.

Default Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Ok, so this problem does not occur to all MBA Rev A 1.6Ghz machines with Runcore SSD.

We cannot reproduce this problem on our MBA Rev A back in China so we are not sure how to attack this problem.

I see poteck is using a 64GB drive and it is working while the 128GB drives are getting the error. Is there anyone out there with an MBA 1.6Ghz and a Runcore 128GB Drive that is not getting this error coming out of sleep or hibernate?

Matt

Exclamation Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

OK, Dear Checkitout and other runcore forum members,

I confirm that mine 1,6 GHZ 64 GB runcore that i bought last week is
    affected by the same bug "checkitout" told us.

Today i made some proofs, sleep, hibernate an so on, and like checkitout said,
    it hangs 1/4 sometimes 2/5, itīs quite aleatory. I try to see if thereīs something in my logs, but it appers to be normals. Itīs quiet dificult to see anything because the system goes freeze, so no logs in my case.

When I get this problem, my system is running on battery power, wifi on, safari, firefox, mail.app, skype, ichat, iterm, console, and some more. It appers to hangs easily in that scenario.

Please "RUNCORE MARKETING" Pass this information to the engineer team.
    The disk work flawlessly out of this bug, please resolv it asap.

Regards Ignacio.

SL 10.6.1
    Last edited by poteck; 10-23-2009 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
    Ok, so this problem does not occur to all MBA Rev A 1.6Ghz machines with Runcore SSD.

We cannot reproduce this problem on our MBA Rev A back in China so we are not sure how to attack this problem.

I see poteck is using a 64GB drive and it is working while the 128GB drives are getting the error. Is there anyone out there with an MBA 1.6Ghz and a Runcore 128GB Drive that is not getting this error coming out of sleep or hibernate?

Matt
    Note that the MBA comes back out of hibernate OK (well, most of the time -- I had two glitches so far but I didn't examine in detail, so I'm not claiming a bug here).
    It's coming out of sleep that reliably is unreliable.

You can use the "while sleep 3; do dmesg; done" trick I mentioned to see what's going on during wakeup; but you have to be patient as the kernel wait for the ATA interface tends to block things and you may not see anything until the MBA has given up on the drive, which takes several minutes (and, of course, you won't see anything if any part of Terminal or the shell has been paged out...).

Exclamation Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Iīm going to give you some more info i found online.

It appears to be an issue/bug on the indilinx controler and the sleep mode on the disk. If you search online for the OCZ VERTEX and VERTEX EZ, wich both use the indilinx controller have the same issue. As i read on the OCZ support forum there are only some firmwares afected. The fail does not affect macs only, pcs too.

I add the ocz forum link if you want to check it by yourself.
    Discussion Sleep issues on Mac with Vertex and 1.4Beta FW or 1.41Beta FW...its time to back flash to 1.30 getting ready for the new FW release. - OCZ Forum

So Runcore support members, maybe thereīs time to call those boys at indilinx to speak about that....PLEASE

I will give a workaround for the issue in the meantime. I repeat that itīs a workaround not a SOLUTION. The trick is to change the sleeping mode modality from "3" (default in the newest machines) to "0" (older modality).

As always "try this at your own risk".

Detailed explanation i found online:

After you launch Terminal, the first step is to determine which sleep mode your Mac is currently using (in case you wish to go back to it). You can both view and change the sleep mode using the Unix program pmset. To see your current settings, type pmset -g | grep hibernatemode. You should see something like this:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode hibernatemode 3

Great, so your machine is using mode 3, whatever that might be. Well, thanks to the documentation for the handy Deep Sleep Dashboard widget, which puts your machine immediately into hibernation mode (so you don?t have to yank all the power sources to invoke it), we can tell exactly which mode is which:

0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.
    1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while ?sleeping,? and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.
    3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically.

To change your sleep mode, you use pmset again, providing the variable and value you wish to assign. So to return to the old style sleep mode (which is mode 0 from the above list), enter this command:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Press Return, and you?ll be asked for your password. Provide it, and your sleep mode has been changed. Note that restarting is not required for these changes to take effect.

Recover some drive space
    If your machine was previously set to mode 3 (or 7 ) and you?ve reverted to the old style sleep mode, you?ve got one more step to take: recover the drive space used up by the copy of your system?s RAM, which was created the last time you slept the machine prior to making the switch. In Terminal, enter these two commands, pressing Return after each and providing your password when asked (in my case it didn't ask for my password again after changing the sleep mode)

cd /var/vm
    sudo rm sleepimage

In my case it released almost 8GB of disc space. I guess it will closely amount the amount of RAM your system has. Ironically, by trying to make a "super system" by paying $2,000 for 8GB RAM plus the SSD drive, it might have been to much RAM to copy and recover to the SSD every time the system goes to sleep and wakes up...as they say "the best is sometimes enemy of the good".

Good luck!

JR Mora

Thanks to JR Mora for the workaround,

Regards Poteck.

PD: CHECKITOUT Maybe itīs time to put these in a new threat, thatīs no more related to the ZIF.
    Last edited by poteck; 10-23-2009 at 07:19 PM.

I will give a workaround for the issue in the meantime. I repeat that itīs a workaround not a SOLUTION. The trick is to change the sleeping mode modality from "3" (default in the newest machines) to "0" (older modality).

(...)

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    Indeed, that is a valid workaround. I didn't bother trying that as hibernatemode 1 "worked" too (with the incredible wakeup time), but of course hibernatemode 0 is much closer to how a Mac should work.

Let's recap:

hibernatemode 3: default setting. System retained in RAM and backed up on disk. If the battery does not run out you resume from RAM, otherwise you resume from disk. Hence, "Safe Sleep." With Runcore, hangs during 1 out of 3 wakeups -- that is the bug we are talking about.

hibernatemode 1: slow wakeup. System retained on disk only. Works with Runcore, but really slow wakeup (60-80 seconds) is against the Mac's "instant-on" spirit.

hibernatemode 0: System retained in RAM only. Unless the battery runs out ("never happens for me", famous last words), this feels very close to 3. If the battery runs out, you get to reboot destructively. Appears to work with Runcore (I suspect it just hangs much less often, but I couldn't reproduce a hang in non-rigorous testing).

As safe sleep (hibernatemode 3) is an advertised feature of Macs, I'd think that a product for Macs would have to support hibernatemode 3. In reality, that hang is just a symptom for something more fundamental not working right, and I'd rather have that repaired. Until then, hibernatemode 0 seems to work for people who don't let their batteries run down.

PD: CHECKITOUT Maybe itīs time to put these in a new threat, thatīs no more related to the ZIF.
    No, I think the discussion of workarounds is fully on topic for this thread until Runcore delivers a fix.

Oh by the way, there is no need to remove the sleepimage -- just keep it around for when Runcore fixes this and you switch back to hibernatemode 3.

BTW, the OCZ problems discussed over there are with a newer firmware -- Runcore IV seems to run on 1571 which appears to be the same firmware that OCZ calls 1.3 and which doesn't seem to have the sleep issues.

This MBA owner is waiting anxiously for a working 128GB version for his 1.6GHz MBA rev.A...

Just a hint, When I disconnect airport prior to put into sleep, I never get in trouble.....

Nothing in the console.

I'm still in mode 3

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy007 View Post
    This MBA owner is waiting anxiously for a working 128GB version for his 1.6GHz MBA rev.A...
    Well, I have to take back my "DO NOT BUY". If you are adventurous (and don't tend to run out of battery), poteck's workaround to use hibernatemode 0 is perfectly workable.

I'm now reasonably happy after a week of use. An SSD of the Indilinx caliber is really helpful for coping with the anemic main memory of the MBA.

Still, the bug needs a fix, but if you buy, there is one more user pressuring for that :-)

BTW, the SMART information seems to indicate that I will get 3999 more weeks of useful life out of the MLC cells. If I get 400, I'm more than happy :-)

The remaining long-term performance issue will be when OSX (HFS) gets ATA TRIM support, and whether/when the Runcore SSDs will get firmware that supports TRIM. But the SSD already shows great performance even without TRIM!

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread Information