Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Default Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Ok I hate to say this guys, but for anyone with the old FW and wants the Sleep/Hibernate issue fixed you are going to have to send your drives back for a FW update.

I have been trying all week to figure this new FW update out via USB and it does work but as someone posted before it does not work as well as it should. When doing it via USB for some reason it affects the performance of the drive. The only way to make it work properly is to send it back to the Runcore factory and have them do the FW via the chip itself not via USB. Looks like they are going to have to dissect these puppies.

I am so very sorry about this guys I wish there was something I could do to make it up to you. I am sure most of you will be happy to send them back because you see how great the drives is and don't care if it takes walking on hot coal to get the drive back into your computer. The only thing I can promise is that we will turn your drive around within 24hours of it hitting the factory in China.

I suggest to get the ball rolling you contact the vendor whom you purchased the drive from or simple send it to the HangZhou China facility with a clear document with your personal info and the status of the drive.

Matt Dawson
    Runcore

Default Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Matt

I was notified my order for mydigitaldiscount.com for the 128Gb SSD was shipped today. How do I know if this SSD has the latest firmware? Is there a serial number or diagnostics I can run to check?

I rather not rip my MacBook Air apart, install the SSD, find out it has the sleep problem, only have rip it apart again to remove the SSD and ship it to China. I rather skip those steps.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
    Ok I hate to say this guys, but for anyone with the old FW and wants the Sleep/Hibernate issue fixed you are going to have to send your drives back for a FW update.

I have been trying all week to figure this new FW update out via USB and it does work but as someone posted before it does not work as well as it should. When doing it via USB for some reason it affects the performance of the drive. The only way to make it work properly is to send it back to the Runcore factory and have them do the FW via the chip itself not via USB. Looks like they are going to have to dissect these puppies.
    Hi Matt,

Could you please send me the 1819 firmware to attempt to flash? I've send you an email. I'd be booting either off either a DOS USB stick if it's a DOS-based flasher, or the slave HDD on the optical bay interface off my 2510P into Windows if it's Windows-based.

I had already tried the Crucial/Supertalent 1819 firmware, hacked the update binary with the Runcore ProIV ID string, which then detects SSD drive, but then appears to do some checksumming against the ID string to prevent flash upgrade.

Nando
    DIY ViDock O/C HP dualIDA | PLL pinmod | grub2 loader Storage 1.8" ZIF SSDs: ProIV, Photofast V4 | ODD caddy SSD/HDD | e-sata/usb

Now: 12" HP 2510P U7600@1.6 2GB 64GB ProIV SSD + 500GB.caddy + GTX470/3dmark.vant=P5561 | Win7/64 XP.sp3 Ubuntu9.10
    Now: 14" Compaq CQ41 i5-430M 2.26 4GB 500GB + GTX470@x2/3dmark.vant=P10481 | Win7/64
    Next(Q1.2011): Sandy Bridge + pci-e 3.0 + GTX470-OC/3dmark06=22k

Exclamation Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Dear Matt and Technicall Stuff at runcore,

You can not be serius about that solution. Sent the disk back to the factory in China?

Let me tell you that thatīs and incredible poor and buggy solution.
    Whatīs going on if in 4 month the disk suddenly stop to work, or something strange and the only solution is to upgrade the firmware? Whatīs going on if we need to resolve another bug in the disk via firmware update? Again sent it back to the factory? So what could be the total cost of my disk at the end of the year, 200$ + Taxes costs 2 more times + Delivery costs 2 more times.... thatīs not a good solution. I never heard such a solution from a Technical stuff to upgrade a firmware in a disk. If the process to upgrade donīt work, solve it, itīs the runcore responsability to find a solution not a workaround like the one i post in the forum for the mac users.

You told us that they are going to dissect the chip to upgrade it? They are going to unplug the chip from the PCB for the updagre? Again you can not be serius, if thatīs the way they are going to solve the issue sent me a new disk please.

I always update the disk firmwares on my IBM servers at work without sending it back to IBM. The same for Hp an Dell servers...
    Itīs really annoying this solution...

You are right, as you told, most of us are happy to send it back, but maybe we are not so happy to pay for it again?
    Runcore are going to pay all the Taxes, and delivery costs for such international manoeuvre?

Iīve another ZIF 1.8" disk from MTRON, I always update the firmware without any problem but not by USB, I do it via IDE to ZIF interface, like that one

Connected directly to my PC. Did you try that solution? Please debug the firmware upgrade process via IDE to ZIF like Mtron, OCZ and others do.

Regards,
    Ignacio
    Last edited by poteck; 11-21-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vipnyc View Post
    Aside from this issue - the drive is great. New life into my favorite laptop.
    Hi all,

Just something that may or may not be of interest to some of you with the sleep/hibernate problem :
    I had a similar problem right after I upgraded my Macbook Air to Snow Leopard (2 weeks ago), not instantly but after the first of Apple's Updates had run.
    I thought I had a faulty HDD at that point (which is actually the main reason I bougth the RunCore SSD as a replacement) only to find out a couple of days later that I could fix the issue by simply switching the LED display to a lower resolution and then back to the highest resolution!

Also I'd like to confirm that I got my PATA Runcore IV SSD and have no problems with it (no sleep/hibernate issue), so I am delighted with it. But since there are two types of the Runcore 1.8" Pro IV I do not know if that is really relevant to this thread, mine is probably a later version.

greets,
    Benny
    Last edited by kleykenb; 11-23-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Dear kleykenb,

Thanks for your fix for the issue, probably we could find lot of workarounds, but we still need a final SOLUTION from runcore on the firmware problem.

Regards
    Last edited by poteck; 11-23-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Poteck I know you want to do this FW upgrade yourself but like I said you are not going to be happy with it.

Did you buy it form MDD? If so send them DM on the chat program they have. They will find a way to get you the drive with the upgraded FW in a way that will not be costly. I remember I said that last time and something happened with the UPS system and you ended up getting charged tax again but I guaranty you will not have the problem again and if you do it will come out of my personal paypal.com account.

Matt

Nando please send the drive back we will send you a new one with the new FW as well. I will email you in a few as well to talk further.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by poteck View Post
    Dear kleykenb,

Thanks for your fix for the issue, probably we could find lot of workarounds, but we still need a final SOLUTION from runcore on the firmware problem.

Regards
    Hi,

To be clear : what I said was not a "Workaround" : the sleep/hibernation problem I had was caused by a bug in Snow Leopard and it never came back after I changed my resolution to 1152x720 and then right back to 1280x800. I just thought that some of the hibernate/sleep problems that people see here MAY not be caused by the Runcore SSD firmware problem but by what I saw. In any case, setting your resolution lower and then right back that one time isn't gonna hurt anyone so it's worth the try.

Best regards,
    Benny

Klykenb, that is cool but I wonder if you have one of the drives with the old FW or the new FW.

If it is not to much trouble could you get me the SN from the drive please?

Anyone else try this?

TY,

Matt

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information