Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Default Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Quote Originally Posted by cc101 View Post
    Maybe you can connect the Apple Service for a new one.
    Because we are unable to buy an apple ZIF cable elsewhere.
    thanks,
    I definitely will try to contact them,
    up to know no luck on the Internet!
    I guess I would need to find somebody with a broken MBA Rev A selling it in pieces.

Default Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Quote Originally Posted by RunCore Tech_Support View Post
    Firstly, connect the SSD to MacBook by the USB case.

Secondly, create(select the GUID Partition Table in the option) and format as HFS+ in the partition of Disk Utility.

Thirdly, clone the mac os of original driver to the new RunCore ssd by Carbon Copy Cloner.

Lastly, using the RunCore SSD to replace the original driver.
    I have done that already a few times. First, the installation was foolproof, and the disk worked for a couple of weeks. Then, the MBAir would not boot anymore. So I took it out and I am trying to repeat the formatting/cloning procedure via USB. Only that after formatting and cloning, the disk has all sort of weird errors. Maybe my ZIF connectors are dirty or broken after so much plugging and unplugging, or maybe something happened to the disk. Any ideas?

there is no relays etc inside the drive, there should be no sounds at all, the entire device is solid state components.

shocks will only serve to weaken physical contact connections, and can even damage weak solder joints.

Quote Originally Posted by cc101 View Post
    Maybe you can connect the Apple Service for a new one.
    Because we are unable to buy an apple ZIF cable elsewhere.
    Apple iPod Accessory iPod Accessories Mac Software Mac Memory Apple Repair Store might be an option

Quote Originally Posted by mjmolano View Post
    I have done that already a few times. First, the installation was foolproof, and the disk worked for a couple of weeks. Then, the MBAir would not boot anymore. So I took it out and I am trying to repeat the formatting/cloning procedure via USB. Only that after formatting and cloning, the disk has all sort of weird errors. Maybe my ZIF connectors are dirty or broken after so much plugging and unplugging, or maybe something happened to the disk. Any ideas?
    I believe something is wrong with the 200 MB EFI partition at the beginning of the disk. Does anyone know how to restore it? I have no backup of it...

Quote Originally Posted by mjmolano View Post
    I believe something is wrong with the 200 MB EFI partition at the beginning of the disk. Does anyone know how to restore it? I have no backup of it...
    If you do a conventional full install from CD/DVD, with a new drive, does it not create that partition?

Eliminate all other possible problems, such as worn/broken cables, insert the cables by the proper method, and then try again to do the install

Talking Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

I just got the Runcore 128GB SSD (RCP-IV-ZA1828-C) for my MBA Rev. A and thought I'd share my experience with whoever is reading this.

BOTTOM LINE: It works! It's fast! I'm happy!

But there were a few hickups regarding the installation:

1) There where two ZIF cables supplied. I wasn't able to use the one shown in the installation manual (the one with one blue end). The blue end was simply too thick to go into the connectors. I had to use the other one - but that worked fine.
    2) When I connected the SSD to the USB port using the supplied connector I was able to copy my native MBA harddisk to the Runcore SSD, but I was unable to boot from it even though it was recognized by the MBA at boot up. I tried to copy the disk twice using Carbon Clone Copy once and SuperDuper once - same result. All the files were there and I was able to browse the SSD, but it wouldn't eject normaly in OSX.

So what I did was to hope for the best and install it anyway (using iFixit's guide. It was relatively easy - took me only about half an hour even though I havn't been inside a Mac before. I'll recommend buying the screwdriver and spunger recommended by iFixit like I did).

After installation I booted up from the DVD-drive with the Snow Leopard installation disc. Installed Snow Leopard again on top of the old system which wasn't bootable and VOILA - everything works perfectly.

As a bonus I have installed the old 80GB HD in the case supplied by Runcore and now have a tiny external 80 HD "for free".

That's about it.

You've seen the nice Xbench-marks before, but I've attached mine, before and after, anyway.

Well, Flopsy, whatever ya do, dont wipe anything off your old 80gb HDD until that critter has been runnin faultlessly for a month or more...

Just to be safe, heh?

Got Ya Blue Screen! Havn't touched it and wont for a while. Thanks.

PS: The SSD is still running fine - one day later - and no problems with going in and out of sleep mode.

UPDATE: Had it for a month now - still works fine with no issues at all :) Me happy as h**l
    Last edited by Flopsy007; 02-07-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Hello, I would like to buy one 64gb runcore ssd on shop4memory.com but how is it possible to know if ssd in stock have last firmware?
    Thanks.

PS : Has anyone already bought something on shop4memory ?

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread Information