Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience with 128GB 1.8" ZIF in HP 2710p

Default Re: Experience with 128GB 1.8" ZIF in HP 2710p

It is certainly one of the largest boosts in performance I have ever seen. Love the feeling myself I have Runcore drives in everything I have now and every-time I upgrade something the difference is so big it is like I have a new device.

Also, the HP 2510p could have some built in bottle necks that we don't know about. For example the Dell Mini 10 can only reach 125/51 Read/Write with a Runcore Pro IV SATA SSD and that drive can operate at 240/170 Read/Write. That being said everyone who has upgraded the Mini 10 to a Runcore drive says they would never part with the upgrade.

Turp, any chance you know what is going on with Magic's computer?

Matt
    Last edited by Runcore Marketing; 10-07-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Hi, I'm also trying to use a 32gb ssd in my 2510p, but without much luck. When connected the BIOS no longer shows the hard drive or the optical drive, so I am guessing this is a master/slave issue?

Other posts here have talked about removing R49 to turn off cable select, but my RCP-I-Z5032-C doesn't have a resistor labeled this high or in the place other posters have indicated...

Any ideas? How did you guys get yours to work?

Thanks!

Does it work via the USB case?

Matt

For my 2710p upgrade, there was absolutely nothing special that I had to do.

After I had cloned my HDD to the SSD, I simply disconnected my HDD from the Zif cable and connected my SSD. Of course you have to find pin one of the SDD and make sure that you match it to where pin one was for the HDD. The 2710p required that I resuse the Zif cable from the HDD on the SSD.

Thanks for your replies,

It works great via USB (so fast!), and using the zif connector in an Acer Aspire one.

I'm pretty sure I have the cable the right way up to get the pins to match, but I have tried both ways just in case. If the cable is the 'wrong' way round, the BIOS only sees the optical drive - which is the same as when no drive is attached at all.

Quote Originally Posted by turpindm View Post
    For my 2710p upgrade, there was absolutely nothing special that I had to do.

After I had cloned my HDD to the SSD, I simply disconnected my HDD from the Zif cable and connected my SSD. Of course you have to find pin one of the SDD and make sure that you match it to where pin one was for the HDD. The 2710p required that I resuse the Zif cable from the HDD on the SSD.
    @turpindm

Is it just a simple connector that you pull out of the original drive and put it in the ssd ? And is it hard to find the pin 1 on both ? I have a 2710P and your results look very good.

After a period of now using the ssd... are you experiencing a slow down ?

regards,

René

Quote Originally Posted by rmjanzen View Post
    @turpindm

Is it just a simple connector that you pull out of the original drive and put it in the ssd ? And is it hard to find the pin 1 on both ? I have a 2710P and your results look very good.

After a period of now using the ssd... are you experiencing a slow down ?

regards,

René
    Honestly, the hardest part of the whole job was figuring out how each Zif connector's locking mechanism worked.

HP 2710p Runcore installation notes:

From the instructions that came with the SSD it wasn't clear where pins 1 and 40 were. If the you are looking at the SSD with the Runcore logo facing up and the ZIF connector on the right, then pin 1 will be at the bottom of the connector and 40 will be at the top. This is the proper orientation for the SSD when installed in the USB case. Note: I never closed the USB case. I did all of the cloning, etc. with the USB case open (to keep from bending the Zif cable too much).

When connecting the SSD to the laptop via USB, make note that the included cable has two standard-sized USB connectors. Use the one with two cables feeding into it. Also, the only USB connector on my 2710p that would recogize the drive was the one or right side (near the rear).

HDD removal instructions are given in the service manual for the computer at http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/.../c01566987.pdf

The orginal HDD was difficult to get out. You should follow the the instructions referenced above. Take the cable loose from the motherboard before attempting to remove the HDD. Likewise, insert the Zif cable into the SSD before putting the Runcore SSD back onto the 2710p. Like me, you probably won't be able to get all of the rubber packing material back into the laptop; however, since the SSD has no moving parts, it should be pretty insensitive to shock.

Attached is a photo of the Runcore SSD installed in the 2710p.

Also, you asked about benchmarks, there has been no measurable change in performance since I installed this drive in early September (~1.5 months ago).

I hope that this info is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by turpindm View Post
    Also, you asked about benchmarks, there has been no measurable change in performance since I installed this drive in early September (~1.5 months ago).

I hope that this info is helpful.
    @turpindm

This sure helps. Thanks for the detailed response. It takes me a lot closer to taking the step. Coming back to the performance. Also no problem with large consecutive writes ? Also I see some threads with people having problems coming out of hibernate/sleep. Are you having any problems like this since using the ssd ? (btw which OS are you using ? )

regards,

René

Coming back to the performance. Also no problem with large consecutive writes ? Also I see some threads with people having problems coming out of hibernate/sleep. Are you having any problems like this since using the ssd ? (btw which OS are you using ? )
    No problems with read/writes at all (that I'm aware of). I *never* reboot my laptop. I always put the system to sleep between locations. I have experienced NO PROBLEMS with the SSD and hibernate/sleep. My OS is Vista Enterprise SP2 (32-bit). The laptop has 4GB of RAM.

I plan to upgrade this system to Win7 between now and the end of the year. I'll provide an update if I see any problems.

I hope that this information helps.

@turpindm

This sure helps. Thanks for the detailed response. It takes me a lot closer to taking the step. Coming back to the performance. Also no problem with large consecutive writes ? Also I see some threads with people having problems coming out of hibernate/sleep. Are you having any problems like this since using the ssd ? (btw which OS are you using ? )

regards,

René
    Hi René´,

I have problems with this hibernate/sleep problem with my 128 GB Runcore IV. The disk doesn't restart after wakeup my 2710p. I had this problem with Vista SP2 (64bit) and the same with Windows 7 (64 bit). Would be glad to get any further hint, what's going wrong.

regards

Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information