Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What's the right SSD for an EeePC 1000/Linux

Default What's the right SSD for an EeePC 1000/Linux

I've searched this forum and found two references to replacement SSD for an EeePC 1000 / Linux. I'd like to confirm that the right product range to replace my very very slow secondary asus eeepc shipped SSD (32GB) with a fast Runcore replacement is to use the product range:

• RunCore Pro 50mm PATA Mini PCI-e PCIe SSD (max read/write: 78MBs / 44MBs)
      • RCP-I-M5016-C (16GB)
      • RCP-I-M5032-C (32GB)
      • RCP-I-M5064-C (64GB)

Just to clarify, I'd like to replace the 32GB SSD (secondary) but keep the 8GB SSD (primary). My primary goal is to maximise the SSD read/write performance. I'm not into soldering, or any other exotic activities - so an looking for a straight swap item that can be seated into the EeePC exactly as the item it is replacing.

I've also seen some references to EeePC 1000 / Linux working with SATA SSD's in additional to the PATA SSD's (listed above). Can any one confirm to me whether this is true and whether there are further performance gains (by using faster SATA SSD's) I can realise by optiing for a SATA drive solution (again replacing the secondary SSD I have) - again any known to be suitable model numbers would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

[EDIT - #1]

I've also seen these product advertised on resellers sites as *suitable* for EeePC 1000. However I cannot find these products on the main runcore product listing. Is this a discontinued product line?

• RunCore Pro 70mm PATA Mini PCI-e PCIe SSD (max read/write: 75MBs / 55MBs)
      • RCP-I-M7032-C (32GB)
      • RCP-I-M7064-C (64GB)

[EDIT - #2]

Hopefully the last edit before a reply. I've also read on EeePC forums that with BIOS versions for the EeePC 1000/Linux above version 0913 (at the time of latest version is: 1003) that SATA / SATA-II SSD are now supported (read monchote comment at the bottom of this thread: http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2009/0...-sata-ssd.html). If this is true, this mean that I now have a greater range of SATA products available to me (which have faster speeds than the slower PATA products). I'd really love to put one of these SSD's into my EeePC 1000, any advice on suitability would be appreciated.

• RunCore Pro 70mm SATA Mini PCI-e PCIe SSD (max read/write: 125MBs / 90MBs)
      • RCP-I-M7032-C (32GB)
      • RCP-I-M7064-C (64GB)

• RunCore Pro IV 70mm PCI-e SATA II Solid State Drive SSD (max read/write: 258MBs / 161MBs)
      • RCP-IV-S7032-C (32GB)
      • RCP-IV-S7064-C (64GB)
    Last edited by JiltedJohn; 09-15-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added additional SATA/SATA-II SSD model numbers

Default Re: What's the right SSD for an EeePC 1000/Linux

I recomend this one RCP-IV-S7064-C (64GB)
    because the 32GB version has only 32MB buffer and for sure slower write speed if it respets the last 3 editions of Runcore SSD.

My choice for a 901 was the 128GB version even if i know that i will never use it at the maximum that it ofers.

Thanks for the reply AlexutuS, I will proceed and purchase the RCP-IV-S7064-C (64GB) and feedback my results to this thread. The item is currently on back order so it may take a few weeks

Well after much research and I took a leap of faith and ordered the Run Core RCP-IV-S7064-C SSD. None of the manufactures / resellers stated that this device was compatible with an eeepc-1000. That said, installation was a breeze, just disconnect from the mains, remove the battery & 5 screws and in just 10 minutes the new SSD was seated where my factory shipped asus SSD once sat.

Now for the moment of truth. Power on and see if it works...

Entering into the BIOS setup (NOTE I'm using latest stable BIOS version: 1003), I was pleased to see that the Run Core 64 GB device had been detected and was listed under Hard Disk. I changed the boot priority of the disks, making the run core my primary disk (previously ASUS 8GB SSD). As I was going for a complete OS reinstall, this was the right approach for me. If you need to "clone" your existing 32GB SSD to a network drive/USB drive then one of the best open source utilities in my eyes is CloneZilla (Clonezilla).

Now I was in position to install Windows 7 () and Eeebuntu 3.0 Base (). Both installations picked of the Run Core SSD and installed without a single hitch.

The SSD was put through it's paces in in Windows 7, using Crystal DiskMark 2.2, the results were impressive (compared to my the device it replaced). See attached:data-drive-runcore.PNG

So in summary, the eeepc-1000 shipped with a relatively slow 32GB Parallel ATA (PATA) PCIe SSD. I replaced this device with a Run Core RCP-IV-S7064-C Serial ATA (SATA-II) PCIe SSD, with no ill effect.

My conclusion is: that with the latest BIOS (at the time of writing this was version: 1003) my eeepc-1000/linux can accept PATA and SATA SSD devices. Obviously SATA SSD are much much faster than the PATA offerings, so there's no point in investing in PATA SSD for your eeepc-1000 - SATA-I/SATA-II PCIe SSD are the only sensible option. One item to note is that I believe the SSD performance of the Run Core SSD is limited to SATA-I bus speeds (needs further research to confirm), as I'm not hitting the 250MB/sec max sustained data speeds suggested in the manufacturers marketing material (I know these are never really hit in real life scenarios, but I've seen online benchmarks suggesting 190MB/sec is achievable). With that said, I'm not complaining and seeing sustained speeds hitting ~125MB/Sec is a 4-5 fold in increase above the SSD shipped from manufacturer, and the random small file reads are even greater (when compared to what it replaced).

I hope that someone finds this information useful. It took a lot of research (there's not much out there on SATA compatibility for the Eeepc 1000/Linux) and some blind faith before I took the jump and opted to go for a SATA-II PCIe SSD.

Gavin.
    Last edited by JiltedJohn; 10-11-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Typo's

On reflection, it would be interesting to see whether Run Core engineers/technicians in this forum can influence the Run Core marketeers and get them to update their known "compatibility" for SATA-II PCIe SSD's and add eeepc-1000/Linux to the list (stating that installing latest BIOS is a pre-requisite). If I had visibility of this information, it would have significantly reduced the research/discovery required ahead of purchase. Who knows, perhaps Run Core would get more sales as a result. Just a thought.

Gavin.

with a litte tweaking i;m sure you can get far more better results.

Thumbs up Re: What's the right SSD for an EeePC 1000/Linux

JiltedJohn,

I am glad that I found your post, I am looking for a SSD too to install Windows 7. Installing it on a 8G is NOT fun.
    Now I can buy the same and enjoy.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope more people talk about eeePC 1000 support SATA II
    Last edited by RayYung; 10-23-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo

Can someone post here (writing or screencap) the speeds of RunCore Pro IV SATA II SSD on an EeePC 1000?
    I'd like to know the difference between RunCore Pro I and Pro IV (first is SATA and second is SATA II).
    Thank you!

Thread Information