Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RunCore 32GB Pro IV 2.5" SATA SSD problem

Default Re: RunCore 32GB Pro IV 2.5" SATA SSD problem

Your Acer contains a SATA 150 interface. see specs here: Acer Timeline 1810TZ Laptop LX.PJ502.051 - Acer Direct

The 32GB model is not half the performance of the 64GB model. The Highest speeds are seen on the 128 and 256 versions, and the 64 and 32 are slightly slower due to there being less flash IC's. At full speed your 32Gb drive is capable of ~200MB/s Sequential read and ~135MB/s Sequential write.

Your laptop will never reach these speeds with a SATA 150 controller. 120MB/s is an acceptable Sequential Read figure because of the SATA limitation. Your writes are low, I would expect arount 90-100MB/s. Random performance is about on par with what you can expect from the firmware version that ships with these drives. OCZ's latest firmware gives 20MB/s random 4K read and ~11MB/s Random 4K write.

I can't see how you're getting maximum performance on an Intel X25-M on your current chipset. You will get much faster random figures as that is Intel's strong point. However you should also, on a drive free to give max speed, see a sequential read on the X25-M of between 230MB/s and 260MB/s. There's no way you'll be getting those figures on a SATA 150 interface. Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a screenshot of my Intl X25-m G1. If you're not getting the same (roughly) sequential figures then your chipset is limiting things. You should not be seeing more than 150MB/s sequential read.

Indilinx based SSD random performance is lower compared to Intel drives but is still much faster than a regular HDD. Intel drives random IOPS are tuned for server use. This can be seen from the way that it dominates all benchmarks involving these kind of operations such as web server and apps server tests as well as data base servers. For general purpose, the Indilinx drives (in PC Mark Vantage) sometimes pull ahead due to their more balanced read/write figures.

Did you mistakenly do a full format of your drive before installing the OS? If so you have "dirtied" all the flash blocks causing the drive to run at it's lowest performance. To restore the drive to factory fresh you will need to run either Sanitary Erase or HDDErase and then either image from your original drive or install Windows using Quick format. wiper.exe should work too. This will mark all flash blocks filled with trash data as available, thus avoiding the write amplification effects ("Read > Erase > Write") and turn writes on these freed blocks to a single ("Write") operation.

Fro the looks of things Runcore need to try and release the TRIM and Garbage Collection with Block Consolidation firmwares asap. TRIM for Windows 7 users and GC & BC for those using XP/Vista or using RAID.

If you post up a screenshot of CrystalDiskMark and ATTO for each drive, both on your Laptop it would be clearer to help identify any issues.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

This is what I get running on my G2 on battery while doing a bit light tasks while the benchmark is running. So I dun think my 1810TZ comes with a SATA, but a SATA2. The scores should be higher running on AC, but can get a feel on the differences with the Runcore 32GB. Anyone can show me a benchmark of the Runcore Pro IV SATA 32GB hitting above 200MB/sec in sequential as claimed on their website?

--------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
    --------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read : 247.890 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 86.631 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 180.281 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 87.682 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB : 15.702 MB/s
    Random Write 4KB : 40.435 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB
    Date : 2009/11/16 11:59:10
    Last edited by CyberTron; 11-16-2009 at 12:49 PM.

The Runcore is identical in all resects to the OCZ vertex 30GB (no capacity difference, OCZ reflect the formatted capacity). The Runcore should perform at the stated speeds correctly.

Firstyly you need to find out for sure if you have a SATA 300 interface. Download and run CrystalDiskInfo. It will tell you the interface speed on the very first page. Seems that you may well have a SATA 3 interface (which is a good thing).

The sacond thing to do is as I described in my previous post. Run HDDErase on the SSD chosing option one, Secure Erase. This will set every NAND block to "available, meaning the drive should now be performing at top speed.

When you've done this, hook it up in your desktop as a second drive. Open disk manager, createa single partition on the drive and format it NTFS ith the default (4K) allocation size. Now bench the drive again with crystal disk mark. If speeds are as advertised, it's now worth spending the time re-installing the OS on the drive while in the laptop.

If you still get poor speeds after doing this (and your desktop also has a SATA 3 interface) then I'd say you have a case for Runcore customer service to take this matter further. I'm not going to say out right that they should exchange it, but that would be the conclusion I'd draw if those measures do nothing.

If you find that it works full speed in yourdesktop and not your laptop, it may be that the Indilinx controller and chipset aren't playing properly. Try using the generic Microsoft IDE/AHCI driver rather then the driver that came with the laptop, you'd be surprised how often that works.

All of these steps combined should take no more than 40-50 minutes and are well worth it. If they work then you have a functioning drive. If they don't then you have done all you can and it's up to Runcore or your retailer to sort this out for you however you request (Exchange, repair, refund etc).

Please let me know how you get on. SSD's are a pet subject of mine at the moment. Any help I can give, let me know.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Will give it a try next month when I'm more free. Anyway, doubt it will make any significant difference. And even if there is a problem, Runcore does not even reply any of the support emails sent to them.

Compare to OCZ, till now, Runcore yet to officially released any wiper tool nor even a single firmware upgrade...

If it makes nodifference and your Desktop has similar results with a confirmed SATA 3 interface, then you have a defective SSD. I'd return it for RMA then. Pe persistant and hopefully you won't get ignored forever.

RE firmware, yes OCZ are leading the way with updates. They are directly involved with Indilinx though, so they get custom Firmwares and also exclusive rights to Higher binned 180MHz Indilinx Barefoot controllers to put in their Vertex Turbo and Agility Turbo.

That said, Crucial have released firmware and the wiper tool, so no reason why Runcore can't, apart from laziness or out of fear that they're going to have loads of broken drives. Flashing Indilinx FW has been known to break drives.

Also without knowing what FW is on retail drives, you may or ma not need to use a jumper on the drive before you flash. Also some Indilinx FW requires a minimum version already there so you may need to flash multiple times. The jumper flashes are destructive as I think is the flash to 1.10.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Smile Re: RunCore 32GB Pro IV 2.5" SATA SSD problem

Quote Originally Posted by CyberTron View Post
    I'm not sure if it is a faulty SSD I've got, or a wrong model was given to me, or this is the performance I expect.

I got this while I was in Hong Kong last week, and when I came back home to do a benchmark with Crystal Disk Mark 2.2 last night, I was quite surprised to see the benchmarks to be far lower than what I was expecting.

This morning, I've transferred it to my desktop to verify it is not due to my Acer 1810TZ, and see similar results. Even my WD 640GB can do 90+MB/sec (write) on my desktop.

Seq 120MB/sec (read) 46MB/sec(write)
    512K 141MB/sec (read) 22MB/sec(write)
    4K 17MB/sec (read) 3.4MB/sec(write)

Anyone seeing similar results with their Runcore Pro IV 32GB?

The speed of your SSD is very close to SATA I but our product but Our products are designed in accordance with the standard SATA II. So First of all, you should make sure your motherboard supports SATA II

I could do > 200MB/sec on my Intel X25 - G2 on the same laptop that give me such low readings on the Runcore. It that good enough to show my laptop can do > 200MB/sec?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information