Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCP-IV-Z1832-C + HP MINI 1000, not working

Default Re: RCP-IV-Z1832-C + HP MINI 1000, not working

Quote Originally Posted by dijitul View Post
    Matt,

Hallelujah... I figured out the error of my ways.

Trying to comprehend the included instructions is somewhat a hit or miss, apparently, with me.

Anybody else: The solution to my problem was to ensure the cable (I used the original bronze HP SSD cable) in the netbook faces with the metallic contact down, and the RunCore SSD also facing with the ZIF connector DOWN (as opposed to how it should sit in the external USB enclosure). Not intuitive to say the least, but now understood.

Everything appears to be working like a charm -- super fast.

I'll eat my hat for venting on the forum but I hope this post will at least help someone else...

Here's to a long-lasting piece of hardware...

dijitul

I'm having this same problem. So using the original SSD->MB cable from the HP Mini, Does the label "SSD" face the same side UP as the label on the SSD itself? Meaning, does the "SSD" and "Runcore 1.8" ZIF..." both face UPWARDS?

Any help appreciated!

Default Re: RCP-IV-Z1832-C + HP MINI 1000, not working

Quote Originally Posted by egprelude View Post
    I'm having this same problem. So using the original SSD->MB cable from the HP Mini, Does the label "SSD" face the same side UP as the label on the SSD itself? Meaning, does the "SSD" and "Runcore 1.8" ZIF..." both face UPWARDS?

Any help appreciated!
    I thought it was pretty clear in my description above, but I feel your pain. I'll try again even though my laptop is not taken apart right now to verify.

I was also confused because it worked in the USB enclosure but not in the HP Mini. From your private message to me, it seems you're not flipping over the RunCore SSD before putting it back in the HP Mini, which seems counter-intuitive, but it's the correct procedure.

The RunCore SSD's special ZIF connector apparently has two sets of pins in it -- upper and lower -- but the HP Mini only has a lower set. (I believe they did this to avoid using a special "crossover" SSD cable, which was the previous solution.) As a result, you'll flip the drive but NOT the cable.

When inserted in the HP Mini:

* The original HP (bronze) cable will have the metal contacts facing DOWN (HP's original way).

* The RunCore SSD will have the ZIF socket facing DOWN (opposite of the USB configuration).

For me, the original HP cable did not insert easily into the RunCore SSD and required some gentle encouragement to go in all the way. Do try to be careful but firm. Once in, it should not easily pull out if it's anything like mine. I guess the HP cable is a bit thicker than the RunCore-included ones.

So, look again at how you have things setup in the Mini. Is the SSD's ZIF socket facing up or down? If it's facing down, you won't be able to see it once it's installed in the HP Mini. If that's true, then is the SSD cable facing with the metal contacts down?

(If memory serves, after testing it in the USB enclosure successfully, disconnect it and flip the SSD cable over and put it back into the SSD drive, then flip the entire assembly over and attach it 'ZIF-side down' into the HP Mini.

Sorry no photos... but.... Hope that helps!

dijitul
    Last edited by dijitul; 12-10-2009 at 02:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information