Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runcore Pro IV Maintenance/Refresh Required ?

Default Runcore Pro IV Maintenance/Refresh Required ?

Just a general question here:

I've been running a pair or 128Gb Runcore Pro IV's in Raid 0 for several months now. The machine has been used for heavy Photoshop work and heavy gaming, as well as day to day activities. My benchmarks are identical to the numbers I got when I installed them (very fast!).

Since there is a "wear leveling algorithm" in the firmware, and I had disabled defragging originally, is there any real reason to do any type of maintenance prior to my next install, which be be moving from the Windows 7 RC to the retail version ?

Default Re: Runcore Pro IV Maintenance/Refresh Required ?

As a Photoshop CS4 user myself, and an avid SSD owner (I have a pair of Intel X25-E's in my desktop and a RunCore IV in my netbook), I can tell you the benefits from SSD are awesome -- except in certain situations.

Photoshop is one of those situations where we want MAXIMUM performance boosts, so I went even further than SSD because the SSD components tend to slow down after the wear-leveling has hit every block on the disk at least once. I don't want to be bothered with disk maintenance anymore, especially defragging or de-extenting (as Diskeeper claims to do now for SSDs) or de-leveling (ATA TRIM).

My suggestion is, for Photoshop, get a physical RAM disk installed and use it for your scratch disk. I also use it for the system Temp, Temporary Internet Files, paging files, and any other application where I can redirect its temp file processing.

In other words, use the SSD to boost your operating system and application launch times, but not to process low-value temporary working files (unless you absolutely have no other choice).

Suggested RAM disks: i-RAM by Gigabyte, or HyperDrive 5M by HyperOS Systems. One is cheaper but has smaller max capacity, the other is more expensive but holds tons of RAM and has more features. Take a look at both.

As for your question about whether you have to do maintenance or not, the answer is "No, you don't HAVE to." However, your mileage may vary and you could find a reason to do it anyway.

We are working on getting our Pro IV SSD wiper tool up on the site soon. You will be able to run it at anytime so I would not let it slow you down on doing the OS upgrade.

Matt

Matt,

Will this wiper tool be used for wiping the entire drive, or also for trimming available unallocated space?

And, if it trims available space, why not make it run in the background and have it do periodic trimming?

dijitul

Quote Originally Posted by dijitul View Post
    Matt,

Will this wiper tool be used for wiping the entire drive, or also for trimming available unallocated space?

And, if it trims available space, why not make it run in the background and have it do periodic trimming?

dijitul

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on vaporware.

Here Wiper here !

Wasn't really referring to the software being non-existent, but doubtful that Runcore will put up any official tool any time soon.

Randy2, my simple explanation is this. The wiper tool deletes any useless/redundant stored data from the SSD making it easier/faster to read and write new data.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
    Randy2, my simple explanation is this. The wiper tool deletes any useless/redundant stored data from the SSD making it easier/faster to read and write new data.

Matt

After some quick reading, I understand that it does not work on RAID 0. Will your tool be able to perform this task in RAID 0 without breaking the array ?

Quote Originally Posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
    We are working on getting our Pro IV SSD wiper tool up on the site soon. You will be able to run it at anytime so I would not let it slow you down on doing the OS upgrade.

Matt
    Hi Matt,

Have you got any firm timelines for the tool being available, and will it be able to preform scheduled maintenance wipes ?

Regards,

René

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information