Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Write speeds halved - in less than a week!!

Question Write speeds halved - in less than a week!!

Hi to all.

Hopefully someone here can help me out as I have been unable to find anything by googling around.

I've just replaced the ssd in my Asus EeePC 901Go with a 32GB Runcore Pro IV 70mm mini-pcie sata drive.

All went (mostly) well with the installation.
    I did not manage to align the drive and do a fresh install of windows from a usb flash drive as I had planned to and so settled for just ghosting back the image from the original drive.

I did this with the drive installed using WinPE on a usb flash drive. The drive does not have a usb socket built on like earlier models.

Everything was fine. Lots of lovely storage space and a quick check of the noticeable performance boost with Crystal Disk Mark gave these figures;

Sequential Read : 128.837 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 57.050 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 107.103 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 57.148 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB : 18.519 MB/s
    Random Write 4KB : 6.144 MB/s

Less than a week later these are the figures I'm getting;

Sequential Read : 100.182 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 23.529 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 92.688 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 15.883 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB : 18.588 MB/s
    Random Write 4KB : 2.141 MB/s

As you can see, all the write speeds are way down on what they were less than a week ago when the drive was fitted.

The only thing that I can think of that may have any bearing on this, outside of normal use, was using the free space wiping feature of Ccleaner which I had read about giving some people a performance boost with ssd drives.

In an attempt to try to correct this I tried re-initialising the drive with RunCore's ReRunner utility (run under WinPE) but the program did not seem to be able to find the drive.
    All the instructions for using this program refer to connecting the drive by usb which is not an option for this model.
    Is it possible to re-initialise the drive, with it installed, using the re-runner utility?

I then tried wiping the drive (diskpart clean) and re-imaging.
    Still the same speeds.

So, there we are. If you've made it this far, well done. If you can throw any light on this or can suggest anything I'd be really grateful.

Cheers

Default Re: Write speeds halved - in less than a week!!

if the disk is next to full, that's not really amazing, as the speed is due to write combining... if you dont have free space, it cannot take place, and result to not good performance....how full is your disk?

Hi, bgxmmx

There's 76% free space on the drive as I've only loaded it with what I had previously sitting on a 16GB drive. This one is 32GB.

Hi, MattEee. You can try to use the application of wiper.exe. The wiper can help you restore your drive to original performance levels compareable to the new drive.

Hi cc101,

That seems to have done it. Thank you.

Sequential Read : 125.710 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 57.174 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 106.163 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 58.525 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB : 18.796 MB/s
    Random Write 4KB : 6.173 MB/s

A big bunch of roses and a box of chocs is on it's way to you.

Hey RunCore - how about a sticky for wiper.exe with a download link and instructions ??

Cheers
    HappEee MattEee

This looks pretty important I see OCZ and Patriot have it on their sites. I think I will get it up for DL on the Runcore.com and may include it in the product descriptions.

I have a Pro 64GB IV drive 2.5" SATA. It has been running for about 5 months now. It has slow down some but not as drastic as yours did. I am going to give it a shot as well see if it makes mine faster.

I also wonder if the Windows 7 TRIM feature will negate the need for this program. I am going to send an email to Indilinx and see what they have to say.

Matt
    Last edited by Runcore Marketing; 10-16-2009 at 01:41 AM.

Hi Matt,

Wiper definitely worked for me running on Windows XP (32bit).

It does sound like Vista and Windows 7 users will find their operating systems play better with ssd drives for more than one reason.

I understand that Vista "aligns" the drive correctly during installation, for a start, and I too have read something about Windows 7 implementing this "trim" function.

For now I am happy with running a program periodically to maintain performance.

For anyone else that wants to give it a try I can save you a little leg work.

Wiper.exe (zipped) attached to this post.

I hope all of this is of help to others in lieu of a solution from RunCore.com themselves.

Me and my Eee are loving having our performance back.

Good luck.
    Last edited by MattEee; 12-15-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Corrected links.

Posted this on another thread earlier... I also have the 32GB Pro IV sata, and no response from Runcore on my thread.

I got this benchmarked pretty much after I've clone my vista home premium on the drive.

Seq 120MB/sec (read) 46MB/sec(write)
    512K 141MB/sec (read) 22MB/sec(write)
    4K 17MB/sec (read) 3.4MB/sec(write)

BTW, I believe OCZ just released the TRIM firmware for the vertex drive if not wrong.

Hi CyberTron,

Have you tried using wiper.exe?

The links in my last post should work now () if you want to give it a try.

Interesting about the "trim" firmware for OCZ drives. Does that mean "trim" would happen automatically?
    It would be nice if RunCore were able to release such firmware for their drives too.

I understand the RunCore ReRunner utility I mentioned in my first post is a firmware flashing tool. When I tried to use it before it could not find my drive whilst running under WinPE. If a new firmware were released I would need some info on how to flash it without connecting it by usb. Hopefully we would be able to do it from within Windows.

Can anyone shed any light, for future reference, on how to use the ReRunner tool in the absence of a built on usb port to connect the drive to another machine?

From what I understand, you will need Windows 7 to get TRIM support. Based on what I read in the OCZ forum, after they update the TRIM firmware, they might want to do a wipe once.

Anyway, given Runcore never non response with regards to my benchmarks figure, I've went out and get the Intel X25-M G2 80GB instead.

Until Runcore provide better firmware support like OCZ, I'll be keeping my Runcore aside for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information