Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Runcore Pro IV PATA 32GB Hanging Issues

Angry Runcore Pro IV PATA 32GB Hanging Issues

I have been having problems with this ssd since I got it. I wasn't able to install Win 7 onto it, it would hang during install. So I aligned a partition and installed win XP. It seemed to work ok, If I just left the laptop on it wouldn't hang. But when I started to install updates and software it would hang during the installs. It would hang with the harddrive light on soild and just freez, no blue screen.

I assumed I was having a similar issue as bgxmmx in this topic: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f78/bran...-screen-35071/

But then under light usage and during reads it would also freez. After one freez, XP wouldn't boot and it looks like it had cause data corruption.

Is there a way for me to know if the drive is defective?

The place I purcahsed it from already agreed to replace it but i'm worried that the next one I will received will have the same problems.

The laptop it is installed in is a Compaq V2000 more sepcificly V2630CA.

Default Re: Runcore Pro IV PATA 32GB Hanging Issues

Got my second drive, and so far I have the same problems as the first. Win 7 won't even install! Has anyone got Win 7 on this drive?? I have tried it in a different computer and still nothing. I haven't tried to install XP on this drive as I would rather Win 7 for the trim support.

Does this new firmware have any chance of fixing this? Is it only a problem with Runcore? Does the fact that this is a PATA and not a SATA the cause of the problems?

My laptop has been sitting for about a month between trying to get this drive to work and shipping back and forth for an RMA that has got me no far ahead.

When is the new firmware scheduled to be released?

If more details are needed for a solution then I'm happy to work with runcore as long as they are willing to work with me. (ie. responding)

I have EXACTLY the same problem as this poster with my new 32GB Pro IV PATA ZIP in my Vaio P. Any solutions or suggestions would be helpful.

Try to shut down the AHCI mode, change to the IDE mode in BIOS.

We'll release a new firmware 1819 which will better support AHCI mode .
    Last edited by RunCore; 11-24-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Unfortunately, my Sony VAIO P BIOS does not have an option to disable AHCI. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    Unfortunately, my Sony VAIO P BIOS does not have an option to disable AHCI. Any other suggestions?
    I suggest that you confirm operation mode first via test software, for example hdtune. Under UDMA 4 mode or any other ?

When I run HDTune, here's what I have listed under Info:

Standard: ATA/ATAPI-0 SATA II
    Supported: UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)
    Active: UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)

Firmware 1819
    Last edited by jayc; 11-24-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions Nando4. However, the Sony Vaio P is a netbook and doesn't have any optical drive.

Also, as for the 33MHz/66Mhz channel issue, my tests with CrystalDisk have shown my drive is running on par with the average Vaio P with this Runcore SSD. That is around 85mbps read, 50mbps write.

I have no complaints with the speed, but it's just the total system hard freeze problem that is the issue.

update.

I tried this drive in another laptop and still wasn't able to install Win 7. On to the 3rd computer (desktop this time). I was able to install Win 7 without any issues what so ever. Uninstalled the drivers installed for the desktop. Moved the drive to the laptop and it booted and found the drivers without issue. Great......

But I still have the same issues I did in win XP with freezing. Unfortunately it seems to be quite random. Though it does seem to happen more with disk access. But it can freeze in under 5 mins from boot. If there is a program that could do a better analyze then I might be able to narrow down the problem.

To RunCore:

I also have no option for AHCI mode in bios. I have almost no options in bios. The problem I see is with older computers. Which will most likely not have any AHCI support. So having the new firmware with better AHCI support won't help.

More then likely (almost for certain) anyone who buys a PATA SSD is going to be putting it in an older laptop to get a speed boost. I would suggest working on supporting older hardware for the PATA version as that's where it is going to be used.

This issue is quite irritating. I'm working on this for a friend. She uses this laptop for school and I can't give it back to her if its going to randomly freeze. Not going to be good if it happens in the middle of writing a paper.

Any idea on what I can do? Is there an idea on what you are doing to resolve this? Is there anything in the new firmware that might fix this? Clearly better AHCI support won't.

EDIT:
    Incase your wondering I'm running in UDMA mode 2.
    Last edited by bnevets27; 11-24-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bnevets27 View Post
    The laptop it is installed in is a Compaq V2000 more sepcificly V2630CA.
    You have an AMD I/O chipset, running UDMA6/ATA133.

My 64GB Runcore ProIV ZIF PATA SSD has run with zero freeze or errors. Admittedly it's on a Intel ICH8M I/O interface running UDMA5 speeds. So perhaps it might be an idea to switched it to UDMA5 mode using hdparm-for-Windows as described here and test further??
    Last edited by nando4; 11-24-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    DIY ViDock O/C HP dualIDA | PLL pinmod | grub2 loader Storage 1.8" ZIF SSDs: ProIV, Photofast V4 | ODD caddy SSD/HDD | e-sata/usb

Now: 12" HP 2510P U7600@1.6 2GB 64GB ProIV SSD + 500GB.caddy + GTX470/3dmark.vant=P5561 | Win7/64 XP.sp3 Ubuntu9.10
    Now: 14" Compaq CQ41 i5-430M 2.26 4GB 500GB + GTX470@x2/3dmark.vant=P10481 | Win7/64
    Next(Q1.2011): Sandy Bridge + pci-e 3.0 + GTX470-OC/3dmark06=22k

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information