Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: RunCore Pro IV PATA 1.8 Unrecognized

Default RunCore Pro IV PATA 1.8 Unrecognized

Dear Sirs,
    I purchased a RunCore Pro IV PATA 1.8 64 GB SSD for my Lenovo X41T laptop running Windows XP SP2 (32-bit) . When I first connected the drive via the usb controller the drive was recognized, the size looked good and I was able to copy the Acronis software to my laptop. I ran Acronis Migrate Easy and setup the script that would be run once I rebooted the machine. The script would not allow my primary drive to be copied unless I checked the option to reformat the SSD (secondary drive).

When I was prompted by Acronis, I rebooted the machine. The first stage involved reformatting the SSD. The next step, presumably to reassign the partition on the SSD, failed. Acronis threw an error at the prompt noting that the secondary drive could not be found. I restarted the latop again and when Windows booted completely, the SSD drive was no longer shown under Explorer.

I tried using disk management to reassign a partition for the SSD, but the drive was not being shown. I also tried running Partition Magic, and there too the drive could not be found. I disconnected and reconnected the drive via the usb and I do hear the computer beep indicating the controller was recognized. However, when I checked the Device Manager I see a yellow exclamation mark for the USB Mass Storage Device. Sometimes instead of "USB Mass Storage Device", I'll see a combination of foreign characters. I've contacted Fedtic (company I purchased it from) Sales support but, I have yet to get the problem resolved.

Is anyone aware of a technique or a driver that could help me to assign a partition to the drive? I've heard that I should be able to see the drive in BIOS if I were to remove the laptop's existing drive and exchange it for the RunCore drive. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to avoid sending the drive back as the costs to ship from the U.S. to China are considerable. I've exchanged this drive once already and I spent $35 Fedex to do so.

Thanks very much,
    Garrett Smith

Default Re: RunCore Pro IV PATA 1.8 Unrecognized

Make sure the laptopís power is 3.3V or 5V,usually the SSDís rated voltage is 5V

Thanks 3Water for your suggestion. The SSD is rated at 5v. When the drive first arrived to me it was preformatted and worked when it was plugged into the supplied usb attachment. After Acronis ran, the drive's partition was deleted and now I can no longer see the drive. Since I could see it before, I'm quite confident that the voltage is not a factor with my current problem.

Kindly,
    Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith223 View Post
    Thanks 3Water for your suggestion. The SSD is rated at 5v. When the drive first arrived to me it was preformatted and worked when it was plugged into the supplied usb attachment. After Acronis ran, the drive's partition was deleted and now I can no longer see the drive. Since I could see it before, I'm quite confident that the voltage is not a factor with my current problem.

Kindly,
    Garrett
    The 5V version can be recognized on X40/X41 but surely it will be down soon since the mismatch of power supply. You need return it to your distrubutor ASAP to change it to 3.3V version then.

Thank you for your response. I'm surprised I was sent a 5v SSD if the X41 is unable to power it properly. They advertised this SSD as working with the X41 which was my main reason for purchasing it. I'm also quite surprised that despite never actually installing the drive in the laptop, (I have only ever used the USB to PATA adapter) that I am having so many problems. The distributor I purchased the drive from, Fedtic, has been very easy to work with but, as this will be the second time I have to send the drive to China I will now be $80 out of pocket. I'd be foolish to try for a third time and the right choice will be to simply return the drive for a refund. Thanks to those who offered their help.

Kindly,
    Garrett Smith

These people does not know what they are talking about.

yes, there is a mistmatch between usual 1.8" HDD (3.3V) and the SSD (5v), but it works fine on X41/T (it does not work well on X40).

AFAIK, there is no 3.3V version of this SSD!

i guess yours is just not well connected to the connector, simply. Push it deeper, dont use the screw (in the back at least) in order to connect it better.

I'm having the same problem in my x41. I have pushed the SSD into the slot as hard as I can but the BIOS still does not recognise it. I believe my drive is 3.3V also (that is what is written on it).

Kinda sucks.

Thread Information