Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

View Poll Results: What do you think of Runcore Pro IV 1.8 zif ssd's in netbooks?

Voters
4. This poll is closed
  • Usuall do not work in a netbook

0 0%
  • Always work

3 75.00%
  • Work usually well, but with special cables

1 25.00%
  • Need firmware update in order to work

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64GB pro IV zif 1.8 won't work on Intel Classmate Convertible

Angry 64GB pro IV zif 1.8 won't work on Intel Classmate Convertible

Hello,

I received a runcore 64GB pro IV zif 1.8 last week from Fedtic. The ssd works fine in its usb case, but it won't be recognised by my intel classmate convertible netbook, although the hdd led lights up and I have checked the cables and connections over again.

Fedtic offered a replacement, but what's the point? The ssd seems to be ok when in usb case, and the hdd-led lights up when in the netbook. Why can't it boot?

I am attaching pictures of my original toshiba HDD.

Runcore should not be trusted for their products, unfortunately.

Any ideas?

Default Re: 64GB pro IV zif 1.8 won't work on Intel Classmate Convertible

Just a quick idea:

I have an Eeepc and when I changed my stock drive for a Runcore sata drive I read that it was necessary to check the netbook's bios for compatability.
    Earlier models of the Eeepc than mine had a bios that did not recognise sata drives. The earlier stock drives were pata ones.
    A bios upgrade was necessary for some users to upgrade to a sata drive.

Might this be the situation you have?

You say that the drive works via usb. So it does work.
    Your machine is not recognising the drive.
    That sounds more like a problem with the machine it's being fitted in to me.
    You might want to check the specs of your machine and the drive in detail to determine compatability and update your bios if necessary/possible.
    The link you provided does not specify if your machine uses pata or sata and it is not clear from your post if the drive you are trying to use is sata or pata.

There is a very big difference and it is really the responsibility of anyone wanting to install a new drive to check for compatability.
    If the two are incompatible you now have a working usb drive for external storage.

Good luck.

Thanks for the prompt reply! You are a very good professional.

My ssd is RunCore 64GB Pro IV 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD for Dell HP M26 and my netbook has a 60gb pata zif-hdd, the one you see in the pictures above. So the runcore ssd should be compatible, right?

What do I do now?

abatris

Let's clear one thing up first: The only thing I'm a professional at is plumbing (and some might question even that)...

As I said, my last post was just a quick idea based on a lack of details.
    I may well not be of much use here but I will have a little go.

So it seems you should be doing a relatively straight swap ie; pata for pata.

Could you elaborate on a couple of details.

You say the drive is not recognised and will not boot up.

Have you checked in the bios to see if the drive shows up?
    Depending on your machine press the apropriate key after powering on to enter bios. Drives are usualy listed on the first tab and again under the boot tab.
    If the drive is not showing up in the bios it's unlikely I'll be of any further help here.

The drive not being recognized by the bios and not booting up are potentially two very different things.

By saying that the drive will not boot suggests you have installed an operating system on it.
    How did you do this?
    I understand Runcore supply a drive cloning solution with some of their drives.
    Is this what you did?
    Maybe something went wrong in the process that could be fixed by trying again.

When I installed my new drive I first cloned the old one with Ghost32 to an external drive using a bootable winpe flash drive, fitted the new drive and "ghosted" the image back to the new one the same way.
    I can't help feeling this may be a better solution than cloning a "live", booted system if that is the way the Runcore solution does it. It's just relatively involved.
    You would presumably be able to do this directly from drive to drive using your usb drive caddy.

If it sounds like I'm pushing the winpe solution a bit it's because I am.
    It's a very handy tool.
    It allows you to use a system that will not boot otherwise and lets you fix a whole host of problems.

However, all of that is just academic if your drive is not showing up in the bios so i suggest you start there if you haven't already.

Again, good luck.

Of course I have checked the bios; it doesn't show the ssd, although the hdd led lights up.

Moreover, I cloned the hdd with the acronis software provided by runcore, following the exact procedure. Then I did it once again, this time with Norton Ghost. And finally tried to make a clean install from scratch, with my original winxp installation disk.

No luck! The drive didn't appear in the bios, but hey! The boot procedure just froze. It didn't tell me that there is no drive, as it did when I deliberately left the drive socket empty. This means to me that either there is a mysterious conflict that doesn't quite let the pc use the ssd, although it "secretly" detects its presence, or the ssd is faulty somewhere in its boot cirquitry and/or firmware already since I got it in my hands.

What would you say?

PS Thanks again for what you are doing here!

Mmm...!
    I must say it doesn't sound good.

I have no idea what you mean by boot circuitry. The fact that the drive works via usb suggests the drive works. The boot bit is taken care of by data on the drive.
    As far as I'm aware the circuitry that operates it via usb is the same as when it's installed in the machine. This is rather different to some of the Runcore mini pci-e ssd drives that have a usb socket built on to the drive itself as well as the mini pci-e connection.
    The usb caddy just emulates the pc's internal connection and re-routes everything to a usb socket.

When you say the entire boot sequence freezes up are you saying you don't even get into the bios?
    If so I can't help feeling there is something amiss with the connection and maybe this is what causes it to lock up. Kind of like a blown fuse because of a short circuit or something.

I've no experience of using these zif connections myself. Can you tell me if it is possible to fix the cable upside down or back to front if you see what I mean.
    On a lot of connections inside a pc you cannot physically plug things in upside down or back to front because of the design of the sockets and plugs.
    What about zif? It just looks like a flat ribbon to me.

Another very long shot: Do these drives use any kind of jumpers to determine their status?
    I once fitted a non original laptop optical drive and even though it didn't have any physical jumpers I had to change it's status via it's firmware as it conflicted with the hard drive.
    It's unlikely to be relevant here but, hey...!

As you can see I'm really running out of sensible ideas at this point outside of the obvious ones so I'll just end by wishing you good luck again and I hope you get to the bottom of it.
    Whatever it is...!

abatris, Fedtic is not really a partner of Runcores and it is 100% possible that they have some older drives that had the cable select issue. You see the 1st batch of these drives were made set to cable select and if your computer cannot accept cable select and needs it set to Master then your computer would not recognize the drive.

I don't think your problem has to do with your computer I think it has to do with the drive. Can you please post the SN# and I will check to see when it was made. My guess is you will have to send it back for exchange for a new drive.

The good news is I think are going to be up and running on a super fast SSD soon. I am not sure how Fedtic's return procedure is so I think Runcore can take care of you directly in this case.

Matt Dawson CMO
    Runcore
    Last edited by Runcore Marketing; 11-10-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Unhappy Re: 64GB pro IV zif 1.8 won't work on Intel Classmate Convertible

Thank you very much, Matt!

The serial no is 0900025849. Can you check it as soon as possible, please?

Best regards,
    abatris

It will be around 24 hours until I can get back to you but if you want to fix it yourself you can. Please see this image

http://g.baulard.free.fr/PICS/RCPIVMBAREVA.jpg

If you take that resistor off (use the point of a sharp knife) it should work for you. If that resistor is not there on your SSD then that means there may be another unknown problem entirely.

Let me know ether way.

Matt
    Last edited by Runcore Marketing; 11-11-2009 at 01:40 AM.

So is this is a hard wired "jumper"? Have I understood correctly?

Can the status not be altered by flashing the settings to the firmware as I did with my optical drive?

Oh well looks like I may have hit the nail on the head with my last "long shot" anyway.
    Not too shoddy for a plumber eh? Professional or otherwise

Looks like you are in more capable hands now abatris.

Good luck.

PS: How might taking a knife to that resistor affect any warranty??
    Last edited by MattEee; 11-11-2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Afterthought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information