Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Master setting on eee 901 go?

Thumbs up Master setting on eee 901 go?

Hello!

1. My problem is that my new RunCore Pro IV 32GB is not master an so I have to press "F1" to boot. I've found one article here but installing software to solve this problem is no choice.

2. The SSD has no USB connector and was shipped without cable and case! The software was on the SSD itself. Is this normal for the PRO IV?

My config:
    eee 901 go / fw 2103 (newest)
    RCP-IV-S7032-C / fw 1571 (is there a newer one)

I took a look at the RunCore site before ordering and found that this SSD works in my 901 go, so I don't understand this problem. Are there different versions for master and slave?

Please help!

Yours,
    Markus
    Last edited by technics@gmx.at; 11-19-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Default Re: Master setting on eee 901 go?

Hi technics@gmx.at,

I have the same EeePC and Runcore drive as yours and did not have this problem. Weird!

I just wanted to check if you can achieve anything by going into the bios and adjusting boot device priority.
    Looking at mine now it shows:
    Removable Dev. as 1st.
    HDD:PM-RunCore 32G 2nd.
    ATAPI CD-ROM 3rd.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say you have to press F1 to boot. Is that something to do with what's on the drive because F1 does nothing on mine.

I currently dual boot mine with Linux on an SDHC card and have to press escape at boot to interrupt it booting into Windows and enter the boot menu. (I set it up this way purposely so as not to touch the SSD.)

Do you have boot booster enabled in the bios? Has boot booster got it's partition on the drive? Try without boot booster enabled. (F2 for bios.)

How have you loaded your operating system on the new SSD?

By the way, you won't regret the upgrade, when you've got it working.

Good luck.

Hi!

Thanks for your fast answer!

My boot order is exactly like yours, boot booster is not available on "901 GO".
    I installed Win7 using an external dvd drive.

The problem is that I get the following message during POST:

No IDE Master H.D.D. Detected!
    Press F1 to Resume

In BIOS HDD Configuration the RunCore is found as "Primary Slave" and this I think is the problem.

I use one SSD (system, programs) and one SDHC (data) and no dual boot.

Thanks,
    Markus

Ps: I like the new drive, there is nothing faster in market I think!
    Last edited by technics@gmx.at; 11-19-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Hi Markus,

First of all, boot booster is on my 901 Go (same bios as yours).
    Have a look at the bottom of the boot section in bios.
    You have to create an EFI partition for it on a new drive.
    No partition and it won't work. The easiest way I know of creating one would be with gparted on a Linux live cd or usb flash drive (my preferred option).
    However, if it's really not there or you have it disabled it shouldn't have any bearing.

I was just wondering if connecting an external drive is able to re-designate the SSD's status.
    You could try adjusting boot device priority with the DVD drive connected.
    Make the SSD first boot device.
    Check in "boot - hard disk drives" that the SSD is the first drive. The SDHC shows up in here. Maybe remove the SDHC card if you have one in there.
    Now when you want to boot from DVD you have to select it manually by pressing escape at startup.
    Maybe it's new temporary status as first boot device would be different to what's happening now.

While you are in the boot section of the bios you might want to temporarily disable "quick boot" and "quiet boot" to see if you get any useful info during boot time. (They are under "boot settings configuration".)

Good luck.

Hi!

After a few hours at google here ist the solution:

The EEE 901 GO uses the same MB like the 901, this means it is made for TWO SSDs using cable select. 901 comes with two SSDs (one fixed, one to change), 901 GO comes with only one.

The problem is, the original Phison SSD in 901 GO is PATA and layouted as MASTER, so it works! The RCP-IV-S7032-C is SATA and uses CSEL. The 901 GO interpretes this as SLAVE. So the problem is the missing fixed SSD in 901 GO.

I got no answer form RunCore Support if it is possible to set their SSD as master, but with the workaround described by MattEee works fine for me.

The workaround is the following:

8 MB EFI partition and using "Boot Boost". Descriptions of how to make such an partition can found on various forums.

Thanks MattEee for your help!!!

Yours,
    Markus

Nice one!

Good to hear you are up and running.

I have to admit I did not consider the boot booster and the EFI partition thing as a workaround but just something that may have been throwing a spanner in the works if it was enabled with no partition to use.

But hey! I'll take a pat on the back if there's one to be had.

Thumbs up Re: Master setting on eee 901 go?

Sure, you get your pat!

@MattEee

Iīm using the same configuration as technics:
    eee 901 go / bios 2103
    RCP-IV-S7032-C / fw 1571

but Iīm satisfied with XP SP3 and want to use it as long as secure. But in XP you donīt have an EFI-Partition. So, do you have any idea for me?

My Runcore Pro IV is running as Primary Slave. Thatīs what I can see after disableing quick- and quiet-boot. There is also not shown "boot booster" in bios.

Any Help from others than MattEee would also be fine.

Hi peterkwo,

First of all, the EFI partition has nothing to do with XP.
    Think of it as part of the hardware/firmware/bios of your machine.
    Independent of your operating system.

If you install a blank drive you need to re-create the partition.

I have not experimented with trying to install an operating system without it myself but it sounds like you may be experiencing the same problem as technics did and for the same reason.

How have you loaded your operating system onto the new drive?

I cloned my old drive onto the new one.
    I cloned the whole drive which includes the EFI partition rather than just cloning the Windows partition.

Is this anything like what you have done?

If you are installing from scratch as technics was you will need to create that EFI partition.
    If you use the Asus restore ghost image I believe that would recreate the partition but obviously you lose your data.

If you have just imaged over your Windows partition you could simply start again and clone the entire drive including the EFI partition.

Or, as mentioned before, you could use some method of resizing the windows partition and creating the EFI one such as with gparted on a "Live" Linux USB Flash drive or CD if you have an external optical drive.

I hope you find something in that lot that will work for you.
    I suppose it depends on things like what hardware you have ie:optical drive, flash drive and what methods you are using if you are cloning.
    Personaly my cloning was done with a WinPE bootable flash drive with Ghost32 which is all available for free. I cloned the whole drive to an external hard drive . Installed the new drive and just cloned the image back.

Good luck.

Thread Information