Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 128GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF - Compatibility with Sony Vaio TZ12VN

Default 128GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF - Compatibility with Sony Vaio TZ12VN

128GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF - Compatibility with Sony Vaio TZ12VN

Hi All

My Sony Vaio TZ12VN was shipped with a 32GB Samsung SSD originally - which is too small and has become full.

I'd like to replace it with a 128GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF.
    Does anyone know if this is compatible with the Sony TZ12VN, or has had any experience in its installation?

Thanks,
    Nel

Default Re: 128GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF - Compatibility with Sony Vaio TZ12VN

another user has it in his TZ and it works. Unfortunately only in UDMA2, which has to be changed in Windows after every boot. Then it works great Maybe this is fixed with the new firmware.

I have a 128GB runcore en route for my TZ myself.

Default Re: 128GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF - Compatibility with Sony Vaio TZ12VN

Winbird

Cheers for your post. Do you mean you have to change the mode to UDMA2 everytime in Windows? UDMA2 is a bit on the slow side (33MB/s?) pants.. considering the drive supports UDMA7.

Seems to be a problem with both Kingspec and Runcore.. (posts on LeoG.net)
    Sony TZ12 has latest version of BIOS - checked on Vaio link website, so points to a limitation of the drive (firmware update may fix this?!).

Could you let me know how your installation goes - seen a lot of posts regarding trouble with the ZIF cable and drive orientation - upside down etc.

Much appreciated!

Cheers

N

yes, as of now it has to be changed everytime but this can easily be automated. As booting mainly requires random reads the udma2 limitation should not be that much of a problem.

I won't be able to put it into my tz before december and i will have to let the sony service install it as i still have about 3years of warranty left :)

Thanks again for you reply Winbird.
    I read on a couple of other threads that the UDMA mode was changed with HDparm.
    33MB/s still seems slow to me - takes me back to my days with my P2 200MHz MMX PC! Hence more like going backwards than forwards!

Memoryc.com have this drive for 325 inc VAT. Although it would solve the space issue, it feels a step back in performance even though SSD is a new technology.
    Looks like the better known brands of SSD look the best option - from a quick google search though, 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD's seem pretty rare.

An expensive upgrade for you then - having to pay for Sony for the install as well, but better than voiding your extended warranty.

Thanks,

N

I really don't know how to do this. Hope you keep it new forever

as of now there are virtually no alternatives if you need 128GB AND speed. Only the new Photofast V4 (wich isnt available and will cost A LOT more) might be an option. The other drives have slower controllers.

I'm still confident that a firmware update will fix the udma problem so hdparm will not be necessary. If it'S not the new update then it will be the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Winbird View Post
    as of now there are virtually no alternatives if you need 128GB AND speed. Only the new Photofast V4 (wich isnt available and will cost A LOT more) might be an option. The other drives have slower controllers.

I'm still confident that a firmware update will fix the udma problem so hdparm will not be necessary. If it'S not the new update then it will be the next.
    grub2 bootloader, supplied with Ubuntu 9.10, has a hdparm module. So can set the faster UDMA5 mode *before* the OS boots. See here. You'd likely also need to have a script that runs hdparm after a resume-from-standby, as the UDMA2 mode would be set then too. Could just add the 'hdparm -X udma /dev/sda' command to the the resume-faster.vbs script <A HREF="http://forum.notebookreview.com/report.php?p=5229286">here</A> to do it.
    Last edited by nando4; 11-21-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    DIY ViDock O/C HP dualIDA | PLL pinmod | grub2 loader Storage 1.8" ZIF SSDs: ProIV, Photofast V4 | ODD caddy SSD/HDD | e-sata/usb

Now: 12" HP 2510P U7600@1.6 2GB 64GB ProIV SSD + 500GB.caddy + GTX470/3dmark.vant=P5561 | Win7/64 XP.sp3 Ubuntu9.10
    Now: 14" Compaq CQ41 i5-430M 2.26 4GB 500GB + GTX470@x2/3dmark.vant=P10481 | Win7/64
    Next(Q1.2011): Sandy Bridge + pci-e 3.0 + GTX470-OC/3dmark06=22k

Thread Information