Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: MDD accidentally sent Mac version of 32GB 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD - Will it work in PC?

Default MDD accidentally sent Mac version of 32GB 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD - Will it work in PC?

As title, MDD accidentally sent me the Macbook Air Rev A version of the Runcore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF SSD 32GB drive (RCP-IV-ZA1832-C). I need the RCP-IV-Z1832-C model for my Sony VAIO P.

Just installed it and it fits, but I'm having problems formatting in the Windows 7 installer. It just hangs.

So is there a difference between the Mac and PC version of this drive? Any solutions for my hang while formatting in Windows 7 installer problem?
    Last edited by jayc; 11-21-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Default Re: MDD accidentally sent Mac version of 32GB 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD - Will it work in PC?

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    As title, MDD accidentally sent me the Macbook Air Rev A version of the Runcore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF SSD 32GB drive (RCP-IV-ZA1832-C). I need the RCP-IV-Z1832-C model for my Sony VAIO P.

Just installed it and it fits, but I'm having problems formatting in the Windows 7 installer. It just hangs.

So is there a difference between the Mac and PC version of this drive? Any solutions for my hang while formatting in Windows 7 installer problem?
    Z18XX can't work in air but ZA18XX will work well in Sony P
    first of all , With the partition magic and other partition tools to delete the original MAC partition, re-establish the NTFS partition and then install the windows7
    If it still fail, turn off AHCI in the BIOS

Default Re: MDD accidentally sent Mac version of 32GB 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD - Will it work in PC?

I had the same exact issue with with the runcore pata zif SSD's. It would hang in the windows 7 install when it was copying files, I think it was formating the drive and that was the main issue.

You might want to try formating the drive NTFS with windows disk management (not from my computer- dont just right click and format)

You have to do this with the SSD in the usb enclosure and format it with another computer. This isnt the easiest solution but it seems to work for me.

Windows 7 install would hang every time when I cleared the partion and created a new one.

When I used another computer to format the drive and just selected that partion in install it put the files on and installed windows fine. I actually drove down to my digital discount in ny and I tried it on a few runcore drives even the mac version. I think it should be fine either way.

Great! I have tried it on my ZIF SSD.

It would be hang when after copy files in the process of intalling Win7.

But if I have creat and format the new partitions in another computer by USB cable. Then put into my sony P to install win7, it competely finished installing.

It's wonderful.

Ya glad to help. I was convinced it was a bad drive when I had this issue.

I don't think the normal user should be happy about the extra step. Every hard drive I ever used going back to a P2 and P3 computer didnt hang like this, or require formating on a different computer.

I also dont think the normal user who is actually the type of person who would build their own computer or change their own drive would have a problem with this simple fix. It just would be nice for the company to come out and mention if you have an issue please format it with another computer first. It would save a lot of people a lot of RMA's and shipping. It also prevents people from enjoying a good SSD drive that runcore is offering. It's also possible Windows is the problem and they could improve their install programs ability to drive an SSD correctly.

Either way the fix is simple format it with the USB drive and be happy

Thread Information