Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which firmware version will be released and when ???

Default Re: Which firmware version will be released and when ???

I'm not passing any judgement on Runcore customer service here, that's for you guys to draw your own conclusions, you know better than I.

On the subject of firmware, yes it is entirely possible that Runcore need to physically have the drive there to flash it. If the software flasher is unstable etc they can hook it up direct to a hardware flasher and flash that way. Another reason may be that if the firmware update goes wrong they can just ship you back a replacement and nobody's the wiser.

Indilinx firmware has been more problematic than some of you seem to realise. I understand that some may be waiting for FW to fix compatibility issues etc, but for others, don't be in such a hurry to update. Runcore should release FW when it's 100% or as close as possible to being stable, both the actual FW itself and the flashing process/program.

Until TRIM FW is available for download, wiper.exe is freely available from a number of sources and works well. It takes about a few minutes to run and will completely TRIM the drive. If you can't be bothered to execute it once a week, use task scheduler to automate the process.

Currently TRIM in Windows 7 is patchy at best. There are all sorts of problems with it and with FW from other Indilinx drive vendors . Write caps of less than 100MB, TRIM not passing through correctly on an imaged drive, data corruption on one specific FW that had aggressive Garbage Collection and TRIM simultaneously implemented etc. Not to mention the fat that TRIM is completely non functional for RAID users (includes a SSD that isn't in an array when the ICH is set to "RAID") and the default MS IDE/AHCI drivers must be used too.

The ideal solution would be to offer two FW versions. One with TRIM support for Windows 7 users and another with aggressive GC at idle for XP/Vista and RAID users.

I have an Indilinx based drive myself, but would rather wait for a 100% stable FW release than risk turning it into an expensive aluminium paper weight.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 12-08-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    I'm not passing any judgement on Runcore customer service here, that's for you guys to draw your own conclusions, you know better than I.

On the subject of firmware, yes it is entirely possible that Runcore need to physically have the drive there to flash it. If the software flasher is unstable etc they can hook it up direct to a hardware flasher and flash that way. Another reason may be that if the firmware update goes wrong they can just ship you back a replacement and nobody's the wiser.

Indilinx firmware has been more problematic than some of you seem to realise. I understand that some may be waiting for FW to fix compatibility issues etc, but for others, don't be in such a hurry to update. Runcore should release FW when it's 100% or as close as possible to being stable, both the actual FW itself and the flashing process/program.

Until TRIM FW is available for download, wiper.exe is freely available from a number of sources and works well. It takes about a few minutes to run and will completely TRIM the drive. If you can't be bothered to execute it once a week, use task scheduler to automate the process.

Currently TRIM in Windows 7 is patchy at best. There are all sorts of problems with it and with FW from other Indilinx drive vendors . Write caps of less than 100MB, TRIM not passing through correctly on an imaged drive, data corruption on one specific FW that had aggressive Garbage Collection and TRIM simultaneously implemented etc. Not to mention the fat that TRIM is completely non functional for RAID users (includes a SSD that isn't in an array when the ICH is set to "RAID") and the default MS IDE/AHCI drivers must be used too.

The ideal solution would be to offer two FW versions. One with TRIM support for Windows 7 users and another with aggressive GC at idle for XP/Vista and RAID users.

I have an Indilinx based drive myself, but would rather wait for a 100% stable FW release than risk turning it into an expensive aluminium paper weight.
    You are 100% right. The reason i was asking as because of sleep/hibernate issues and incompatibility fears.

I myself would rather use a program like wiper, and have control myself (or make it a scheduled run in windows), until the fw with either trim support or a good gc is there. I hear to many speed issues with trim.

The question if the next firmware would be able to be flashed our by us, is a simple yes or no i would imagine.

The reason that other folks are probably getting angry in here, is because of them having to wait long for answers from runcore. They have said answers within 24 hours on emails and there are several people here that have been waiting much longer. It could be that there is a large group that receives there answer in time, but they are never the ones that state their experience. The one thing that runcore should do is have somebody monitor this forum and provide answer to their issues quickly. This so that at least the perception out of this forum is a positive one for Runcore.

regards,

René
    Last edited by rmjanzen; 12-08-2009 at 02:18 PM.

It would be nice if Runcore were to visit here more frequently. If I can manage 9 posts a day on average with less than a hour spent I'm sure they can. Even logging on occasionally to answer the odd post. With the tiny volume of new posts each day, this foum should be extremely easy to keep productive and keep customers informed. Also little things like making the latest wiper.exe available if possible or at least seeking Indilinx's permission to release a version.

A lot of FW is actually subject to NDA (non disclosure agreements). If Indilinx don't authorise its release then Runcore can't release it unfortunately. They do have access I'm sure to Indilinx support who will mod existing FW to correct bugs though.

With major players like Western Digital and Seagate readying themselves to launch into the SSD market, Indilinx have to guard their proprietary info well. Things like Garbage Collection and wear leveling algorithms are valuable things.

I would stick my neck out and say that yes, you will be getting a FW with end user flashing. When I don't know. Runcore probably don't know 100%. Note that if any Runcore drives have the two pin jumpers on the back, a series of flashes may be needed, to for example V1.10, V1.3, then the next version. The jumper forces the drive to be recognised as a "Yatapdong barefoot ROM" ie a direct tap into the FW chip. This jumpered flash would be destructive ie all NAND would be reset. Even some with non jumpered drives may need a destructive flash depending on the FW version the drive shipped with.

Hope you guys all get the support you deserve and the bug fixes you need. Remember TRIM is nice but until then wiper is OK.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

I am using a Runcore pro iv 2.5" SATA II, 64gb. I did a clean install of Win 7 on it and all seems fine. Do I need to use the wiper.exe?? If so, could someone please post a link to the wiper.exe I need? Thanks in advance for your kindness and help!

I can't post a link to where I got Wiper from. It was on a competitors site. If you do a Google search for "wiper_0525.zip download" you will find it easily.

I don't know if you have TRIM enabled on your drive or not. It depends on the FW revision. Running wiper.exe will still be perfectly safe. Note that TRIM is only working on the IDE and AHCI chipset drivers supplied with Windows 7.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

thanks psycho

No problem.

Be sure to set your BIOS to Legacy IDE mode for optimal Wiper.exe performance. I had mine in AHCI mode and thought it was normal to take 1 hour+ to TRIM the drive. Turned out it takes 1 minute on my 32GB drive using Legacy IDE mode. Also be sure to run it as an administrator. Being logged onto an administrator account isn't enough, you need to right click and choose "Run as Administrator", or even better, right click, choose properties and click the "Compatibility" tab. Tick the check box for "Run as Administrator" and it will run in admin mode at all times. This last step is required if you want to run wiper.exe on a schedule using Task Scheduler.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information