Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Runcore 128Gb SSD MacBook Air - very unhappy

Default Runcore 128Gb SSD MacBook Air - very unhappy

I ordered the runcore 128gb ssd for my mba rev C and I am so far very unhappy.

I opened the ssd pack to discover the following:

• runcore 128gb ssd drive
    • two screwdrivers
    • 10 tiny screws
    • small circuit board with ribbon cable attached
    • the top and bottom parts of an external drive case with two gaps for external cables
    • a transparent plastic thing
    • usb cable

Okay, so far so good. Time to follow the "Easy 3 step setup & installation" instruction promised on the website and on the pack:

1. Plug the RunCore SSD drive into an available USB port.
    2. Run the included cloning software.
    3. Install the SSD and enjoy.

WTF!!!

I paid hundreds of dollars for this thing and that's all the instructions you provide?? Listen I'm comfortable opening up a machine and tinkering with it with some guidance, but this is crazy.

I've spent an hour trying to figure out how to get this drive attached to my mba to clone it and have failed so far.

Based on which connections fit where, I can figure out that the zif cable goes into the ssd drive (which side goes up?) although it seems very loose to me. One end of the usb cable attaches to the circuit board and the other to the mba. All of this goes into the enclosure which is closed with the screws (haven't figured out what the transparent widget goes). Needless to say there is no sign of it appearing/being recognized by my mba.

I plan to follow the instructions on iFixit to change the drive in the mba when/if that time comes. That's about a 20 step instruction process with photos on their website. All runcore say is: "Install the SSD and enjoy".

The only excuse for the lack of instructions is complete laziness and utter contempt for your customers. I fully acknowledge that there are technical people out there that seem to be able to install without help. I salute them. But when I buy a product whose box reads: "Easy 3 step setup & installation", I expect to be able to install it.

The videos on the runcore website (not produced by runcore - surprise!) feature ssds that have usb connections built-in so are irrelevant to the mba model.

I really want this to work so any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing the problem is in my connection between the circuit board and ssd??

Are there any instructions anywhere? I know there were zif problems in the past but I ordered and received this drive from my digital discount in the past couple of weeks.

Please help!

Default Re: Runcore 128Gb SSD MacBook Air - very unhappy

First of all,please make sure the type SSD If your MBA is rev C, it should use the LIF, rather than ZIF .lif is easier to install than ZIF .ZIF is more difficult to install,so we are making new detailed manual ,

Thank you for giving us valuable advices. We will improve in our new package.

You can install the RUNCORE SSD according to the following tips:

Fix the RunCore SSD by the fixed set of rubber .

Connect the LIF cable to the RunCore LIF SSD.

Install the SSD to the MBA rev C.

How to install the LIF SSD to the USB Case?

1. Insert the LIF cable to the SSD.
    2. Fit the SSD to the USB box.
    3. Insert the cable's other side to the adapter.
    5. Cover the lid, finish the installation.

Runcore,

Can you also post a picture of how to ideally install a 1.8" ZIF PATA drive into the included USB cable?

There will be a detailed installation instruction in our manufactures products later.

The MBA rev A use 1.8" ZIF SSD, but the MBA rev B & C use 1.8" LIF SSD.
    The 1.8" ZIF SSD install on MBA rev A you can refer to this web:

RUNCORE IV PRO 128

Connect the 1.8" ZIF SSD to the USB case by ZIF cable you can refer to the following picture:

Thread Information