Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Well, it works in my MacBook Air rev A!

Default Well, it works in my MacBook Air rev A!

I just wanted to offer a positive experience of the 128Gb RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF SSD for MacBook Air Rev A. RCP-IV-ZA1828-C.

I ordered mine from MyDigitalDiscount on November 13th hoping that earlier problems were resolved.

1. The packaging has very limited instructions for installing on a HP Netbook. Not helpful at all.
    2. It took a while to figure out that the little 'tape' strips were the actual PATA cables! Remember 5.25 inch floppy disk drive cables?
    3. The little black strip on the SDD is actually a clamp to secure the cable that you can lift up!
    4. Once I figured all that out it was easy to install the drive into the included enclosure and get Snow Leopard installed.
    5. I used the iFixit guides to help me disassemble and reassemble my MacBoor Air. The hardest part was reassembling the rubber bumper around the SSD and getting it into its metal frame. I used some contact glue.

I booted up. It works! Its fast! And its firmware 1819. Nice. Shutdown, restart, reboots, and sleep. No issues. I'm happy (and relieved)!

Transferred 50gb of stuff onto it. Time Machine backed all that up. No issues. Once though, under heavy load, when switching users the whole system froze for about 15 sec and came back, not sure if that was the SSD. Its a lot faster than the ol' 4200rpm drive I had in there. Photoshop loads in 15 secs when it used to take 1 min. I had three active users going, iTunes, file copies, etc. I know with the old drive doing all these simultaneously would have brought the Air to its knees but with the SSD everything ran smoothly.

Thanks Runcore! I'll let you know how it goes after a few weeks of use!

BTW. You should to come up with a USB firmware updater.

Default Re: Well, it works in my MacBook Air rev A!

like yours, engyew, mine works, it's just fun getting it in...

the USB firmware updater sounds like a good idea too

Please, please tell me how do i find out the firmware number in usb mode (before I disarm my computer). It seems there is a problem with older firmware.
    Thank you

How is everything going so far? I just bought mine and do not whether I should put it on my mac rev A. A lot of people are complaining.
    I have few questions:
    1.- Did you clone the drive with the cloner?
    2.- Are you using parallels by any chance?
    3.- Are cold starts working?
    4.- In your preferences, have you switch off the stop the disk for battery performace?

Any other counselling? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by engyew View Post
    I just wanted to offer a positive experience of the 128Gb RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF SSD for MacBook Air Rev A. RCP-IV-ZA1828-C.

I ordered mine from MyDigitalDiscount on November 13th hoping that earlier problems were resolved.

1. The packaging has very limited instructions for installing on a HP Netbook. Not helpful at all.
    2. It took a while to figure out that the little 'tape' strips were the actual PATA cables! Remember 5.25 inch floppy disk drive cables?
    3. The little black strip on the SDD is actually a clamp to secure the cable that you can lift up!
    4. Once I figured all that out it was easy to install the drive into the included enclosure and get Snow Leopard installed.
    5. I used the iFixit guides to help me disassemble and reassemble my MacBoor Air. The hardest part was reassembling the rubber bumper around the SSD and getting it into its metal frame. I used some contact glue.

I booted up. It works! Its fast! And its firmware 1819. Nice. Shutdown, restart, reboots, and sleep. No issues. I'm happy (and relieved)!

Transferred 50gb of stuff onto it. Time Machine backed all that up. No issues. Once though, under heavy load, when switching users the whole system froze for about 15 sec and came back, not sure if that was the SSD. Its a lot faster than the ol' 4200rpm drive I had in there. Photoshop loads in 15 secs when it used to take 1 min. I had three active users going, iTunes, file copies, etc. I know with the old drive doing all these simultaneously would have brought the Air to its knees but with the SSD everything ran smoothly.

Thanks Runcore! I'll let you know how it goes after a few weeks of use!

BTW. You should to come up with a USB firmware updater.

Thread Information