Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Update on FirmWare Upgrades for Pro IV

Default Re: Update on FirmWare Upgrades for Pro IV

Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    Firmware 1916 adds Garbage Collection AND Trim, so it's the most desirable one for all systems - XP and Win7, though when will Runcore release that version?
    Here is a question.

Does the Garbage Collection function work with the HFS+ or similar filesystems or is it only NTFS/FAT32 compatible?

Hi, LinTweak

Yes, RunCore firmware support GC and Win7 trim always from 1881 revision.

GC is performed internally, so it is not the matter of support no-support.

In DOS/Windows/Linux/Mac/etc., GC will be performed internally.

hi all,

do I understand correctly concerning TRIM and GC. If I have the

- Runcore RCP-IV-Z1864-C SSD
    - with firmware 1916
    - and Windows XP SP3 (or regardless of the OS)

I do NOT need to run wiper.exe anymore because TRIM works within the SSD? or is just GC working regardsless of the operating system and the trim function of firmware 1916 only fixed something in the Windows 7 operating system?

another question: is there a way to find out my PN-code of my SSD without looking at the backside of my SSD, eg with some software which reads out the information of the drive? because the SSD is already in my notebook in a rubber casing and I don't want to open the ZIF connector again.

thank you very much,
    super7707
    Last edited by super7707; 01-23-2010 at 12:37 AM.

TRIM is a Windows 7 only feature. MS may at a later stage provide TRIM as apatch, but most likely only to Vista in a similar way to the DX11 Platform Update.

Garbage collection is an entegral part of all SSD's. After all, TRIM does not delete anything, it just marks data redundant. It's then up to teh drives built in G|C to pre-erase the sections of blocks flagged by TRIM and consolidate the remaining data if needed.

I presume that this 1916 version will be a souped up Garbage Collection similar to the version available with OCZ's 1.41 Vertex FW. In this case, you leave the PC idle either at the log on screen, at the BIOS screen or in S1 sleep and the GC kicks in to consolidate data then pre-erase the remaining blocks.

This kind of GC is currently the only way to effectively clean a SSD in XP without using a secure erase tool. wiper will run but in my experience on my Indilinx drives, wiper actually makes things worse. Aggressive Garbage Collection is also the only way for drives in RAID to keep themselves clean as TRIM can't be passed through even in Windows 7 if the drives are in a RAID array or even if they are in JBOD. Wiper.exe also doesn't work on RAID arrays because the RAID controller prevents wiper seeing individual drives. It will however work in JBOD, but sometimes extremely slowly.

One word of warning, last time aggressive GC and T|RIM were combined (in a beta OCZ FW) it caused major problems including data loss for many of the people who used it. Lets hope that this FW has those flaws worked out...

By PN-code do you mean the drive serial number? If so then you can read this using CrystalDiskInfo.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

hi psycho,

thank you very much for your explanation.

thus, I follow:
    - GC is good for cleaning the SSD for security matters, works only after TRIM. is a Firmware issue (at least since FW 1916)
    - TRIM is a thing for performance. is a Software/OS issue.

but wiper.exe: does is this now GC or TRIM? if it is for GC only, how can I immitate the TRIM function of eg Windows 7 under Windows XP?

PN-code: mhm, crystaldiskinfo does show the serial number ( http://666kb.com/i/bg24kq8pjdliz1pya.jpg ) but this has a different format than the PN-code should have: 4 x 2 letters/digits in a row. and why do I have "only" 74% health status? because I never ran wiper.exe or something similar? or is my drive broken?

thank you ;-)
    super7707

Super, if you are running Windows XP, you do not have the Trim function, it is part of Windows 7 only.

For Windows XP, you would use Wiper.exe, which is an external program, and, as explained elsewhere, it marks all 'unused' cells, so that Garbage Collection, which is a function of the firmware, can return those cells to 'As-Manufactured' blank status for reuse by the filesystem., then performance will return to 'normal'

These are not 'issues', but functions

'Issue' is a word misused almost as much as 'solutions'. Don't do it.

Not quite. The type of garbage collection being refered to in the latest FW has in the past been implemented as an alternative to TRIM for XP, Vista and users running a RAID array. GC is a performance restoration technique, not anything used for securely erasing data.

This type is (I presume, Runcore haven't really given a great deal of info) an "On Idle GC" facility which will go through data on the SSD in quite an agressive manner, deciding what data is redundant and also pre-erasing any fre blocks. For more information on this type of GC and the results obtained from using it, unfortunately you will have to search else where as Runcore haven't implemented a FW like this yet. (hint: OCZ have, search Vertex FW 1.41).

You can not truly imitate TRIm on XP, the TRIM referred to as integrated into the latest Indilinx FW's is the Windows 7 implementation. This implementation is also far from perfect and some problems with it remain. For example all too often Windows looses track of the volume bitmap and is thus unable to carry on accurately reporting junk data locations to the controller.

Usually, anything below 100% health for a SSD indicates that there may be some "spare blocks" now being used to replace ones that may have failed. However, note that Indilinx SMART data is notoriously unreliable. To be honest I wouldn't put too much faith in it. Even the erase count value can be wrong. Both my X32's were flagged "Warning" when brand new, due to the Average Erase Count field being filled with some silly figure, rather than 0. in contrast, my Intel SSD reports SMART data perfectly accurately.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I need help with applying the firmware on a MacBook Air. So far I failed.

I got the firmware update from runcore (I have those nasty freeze issues) and have been advised to build a dos boot cd and run the .exe file from there.

Well I managed to build the dos boot cd. However I get an "the file could not be found" error when I try to run the file. A double click in windows 7 opens the file just fine. (tried with parallels).

So far I have tried everything I could think of. Create a bootable usb stick and run it from there: same error.

Wipe drive, install windows 7 in order to get the repair tools from windows 7 install dvd and run the file from command promt: same error.

make use of pebuilder to build a windows gui boot cd. The file won't even report an error. Command promt would just hang.

I'm lost and don't know what elso to try. Right now I'm an expert in applying dos boot floppy's to cd-rw's and ubs stick's and manipulating iso files but I'm no further with my firmware update.

I wonder if the dos procedure would work an mac in the first place. After all there is not even an BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by hippocratesnoah View Post
    I need help with applying the firmware on a MacBook Air. So far I failed.
    Read this 3d:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f78/how-...70/#post342454

Download this file:

http://www.crucial.com/firmware/1916/FW1916_CD.zip

than edit the iso adding IE2808.exe to folder fwupt, burn the CD.
    Restart your MacBook Air from superdrive with this CD inserted, it will ask if to proceed with DOS boot (confirm), than you'll find yourself inside the Crucial check/update SW. Just press 0 (than enter) to exit the program and you'll see the DOS prompt.

type:

cd fwupt
    ie2808
    (than follow the instruction)

On my rev A Air the fw update process was terminating with an error but than I realised that Snow Leopard was showing the SSD with the new fw.. and the performance were good again!

Till now everything is good..

Quote Originally Posted by marianic View Post
    On my rev A Air the fw update process was terminating with an error but than I realised that Snow Leopard was showing the SSD with the new fw.. and the performance were good again!

Till now everything is good..
    I feel silly. It worked perfectly and straightforward. To be honest runcore did send me an iso image of 0,86 MB in size. (second time I asked for help. First time they just send an rar file with the .exe).

Even in PathFinder with "show hidden files" option turned on the image seemed to contain just the single im2808.exe file. So I assumed it can't be an bootable cd.

When your linked cd image did not show anything else except the im2808.exe file as well I began to wonder an connected the runcore iso as a virtual drive in parallels. Oh my. A bootable dos cd.

Silly!

Thanks for making me wonder.
    noah

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information