Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro IV 64GB ZIF in hp 2510p

Default Pro IV 64GB ZIF in hp 2510p

Hello,

I'm trying to get the ProIV 64GB ZIF SSD to work in my hp 2510p, but I'm not having much success.

I'm experiencing freezes/hangs, sometimes followed by a BSOD (error code 0x0000004F iirc). These issues show up in Windows 7 as well as the Debian (5.0.3, never managed to update). These seem to be somehow connected to how much load the SSD is experiencing.

The SSD is brand new (was delivered this past tuesday) and as such should have the latest firmware. I have not been able to verify this as I havn't been able to find any information on how one goes about doing that.

The 2510p uses a hp-specific ZIF cable, and I have been able to verify that the cable itself has not been damaged (it works as expected with the original hard drive). The cable is as far as I can see fully seated in the SSD, but I have not been able to "open" the ZIF connector. I'm guessing the one I have simply requires that you insert the ribbon cable. To avoid it slipping out, I secured it with a piece of sticky tape.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or tricks I might try? Since I ordered it from Ireland (memoryc.com) I really don't want to RMA the drive unless I'm positive it's broken.

Default Re: Pro IV 64GB ZIF in hp 2510p

Quote Originally Posted by Irlut View Post
    The SSD is brand new (was delivered this past tuesday) and as such should have the latest firmware. I have not been able to verify this as I havn't been able to find any information on how one goes about doing that.
    'hdparm -i /dev/sda' will shown you the firmware in Linux like here.

The 2510p uses a hp-specific ZIF cable, and I have been able to verify that the cable itself has not been damaged (it works as expected with the original hard drive). The cable is as far as I can see fully seated in the SSD, but I have not been able to "open" the ZIF connector. I'm guessing the one I have simply requires that you insert the ribbon cable. To avoid it slipping out, I secured it with a piece of sticky tape.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or tricks I might try? Since I ordered it from Ireland (memoryc.com) I really don't want to RMA the drive unless I'm positive it's broken.
    If you've been able to reconnect the original ZIF HDD you'd note it needs to enter 1mm into the socket. Same deal with the ProIV. The 2510P ZIF cable is foiled backed so can be pushed in without possible damage. I've done the 2510P + Runcore ProIV ZIF SSD Review and the ProIV is running beautifully for 1 month now. No BSOD or load related quirks with "D-Die" Samsung Flash and firmware 1571 [though have suspend/resume issue and no trim, waiting for fw 1819 or newer release].
    Last edited by nando4; 12-19-2009 at 08:57 PM.
    DIY ViDock O/C HP dualIDA | PLL pinmod | grub2 loader Storage 1.8" ZIF SSDs: ProIV, Photofast V4 | ODD caddy SSD/HDD | e-sata/usb

Now: 12" HP 2510P U7600@1.6 2GB 64GB ProIV SSD + 500GB.caddy + GTX470/3dmark.vant=P5561 | Win7/64 XP.sp3 Ubuntu9.10
    Now: 14" Compaq CQ41 i5-430M 2.26 4GB 500GB + GTX470@x2/3dmark.vant=P10481 | Win7/64
    Next(Q1.2011): Sandy Bridge + pci-e 3.0 + GTX470-OC/3dmark06=22k

Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    'hdparm -i /dev/sda' will shown you the firmware in Linux like here.
    Thanks, I'll try re-installing the SSD and checking the firmware version via a linux live CD. Is there any way of "downgrading" to 1571 if I have a more recent version? Newer versions seem to be working less well...

Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    If you've been able to reconnect the original ZIF HDD you'd note it needs to enter 1mm into the socket. Same deal with the ProIV. The 2510P ZIF cable is foiled backed so can be pushed in without possible damage. I've done the 2510P + Runcore ProIV ZIF SSD Review and the ProIV is running beautifully for 1 month now. No BSOD or load related quirks with "D-Die" Samsung Flash and firmware 1571 [though have suspend/resume issue and no trim, waiting for fw 1819 or newer release].
    Yes, I did notice that. The white line on the back of the ribbon confused me a bit, but I guess it simply shows where the exposed connectors end. Did you have to do anything special to make it fit properly? It seems it's snug enough (about the same as the original HDD), but maybe it's one of those annoying and hard-to-reproduce glitches?

For the record, your review was actually what made me decide to get the Runcore SSD :)

I checked the drive, and it is indeed using firmware 1819. Except for that and the serial number, the output of hdparm looks like the one in the text file linked earlier in the thread.

The connector is firmly seated as well, so this does not seem to be a glitch-related issue.

Given that there are numerous reports of similar behavior I feel that the two most plausible conclusions are that either firmware 1819 causes the drive to die under load, or I have a defective SSD.

I'll wait and see if Runcore can release a new firmware before christmas. If a new firmware fails to materialize or solve the problems I have I'll simply RMA it.

I checked the drive, and it is indeed using firmware 1819. Except for that and the serial number, the output of hdparm looks like the one in the text file linked earlier in the thread.

The connector is firmly seated as well, so this does not seem to be a glitch-related issue.

Given that there are numerous reports of similar behavior I feel that the two most plausible conclusions are that either firmware 1819 causes the drive to die under load, or I have a defective SSD.

I'll wait and see if Runcore can release a new firmware before christmas. If a new firmware fails to materialize or solve the problems I have I'll simply RMA it.
    Can you provide the PN code of your SSD on the back of it ?

Quote Originally Posted by RunCore View Post
    Can you provide the PN code of your SSD on the back of it ?
    Sure. I've sent both PN and SN to you via private message. Thank you for responding in such a timely fashion (and on a sunday at that!)

Since I haven't received an answer in 48 hours I'll try posting the requested information in this thread.

My PN is 14086400. If you need my serial number, please contact me and I'll send it privately.

So christmas has come and gone, and still no word from Runcore. I tried e-mailing support@runcore.com a few days ago, but I have yet to receive a response.

From other threads on this forum I have been able to gather that I most likely have Intel flash memory in my SSD. Is there a fix, or am I stuck with a non-working SSD until Runcore releases a working firmware?

I must say that I'm somewhat disappointed in Runcore's support - this thread is over a week old (9 days at the time of writing) and still no response.

Join the Club...

E-mailed Runcore again, hoping for a response either via e-mail or on this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information