Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which SSD suits me?

Default Which SSD suits me?

I have some questions about the SSDs and I want to find one which suits me to upgrade my netbook.

1. What are the differences between "ZIF" and "mini ZIF"?
    2. I saw there are 1.8" and 2.5" ZIF SSDs and there are also 5mm, 7mm, 9mm SSDs. What are these dimensions all about?
    3. Is a 1.8" ZIF SSD = mini ZIF SSD (as 1.8" means smaller when compared to 2.5")?
    4. Sometimes I saw certain SSDs have the word 'PATA' in front of the term "ZIF" in its description. What does it mean? I mean, what are the differences (if any) between a PATA ZIF or a merely ZIF? (The same question applies to the mini ZIF)
    5. I got a MSI U115 netbook which comes with a 8G SSD. When I checked with the MSI technical support online they just told me that the SSD is in mini ZIF format. So, what will be your suggestion (brand and model, better with a close estimate of price) if I want to upgrade the SSD to a 30G/32G one?
    6. By the way, to my understanding that 8G SSD of the netbook is a SLC one but I am afraid a 30G/32G SLC SSD would be quite expensive (even more than the value of the netbook itself) so I might consider to replace with a MLC one. What do you think of the overall performance change after the change (i.e. 8G >> 32G and SLC >> MLC)?

Hope someone could answer my questions!

Thank you very much!

Default Re: Which SSD suits me?

Dear,

1. The difference between ZIF and miniZIF is the physical dimensions of the SSD. ZIF is 1.8 inch, and miniZIF is 1 inch.

2. There is no 2.5" ZIF SSD in the market. RunCore 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD is 5mm that is the thickness of the SSD.

3. MiniZIF is the dimensions of the SSD is only 1 inch.

4. PATA ZIF is means that it complies to PATA protocol, because there is a LIF interface similar to ZIF which complies to SATA II in our products. But the LIF interface in some other vendor they named as SATA ZIF.

5. MSI U115 SSD netbook you have is a 1 inch miniZIF SSD. You can choose our miniZIF, the max capability is 32GB.

6. Our prosumer products all uses MLC NAND. You may cost more than double price to buy an SLC NAND SSD. I think as a common user the MLC NAND is enough, there is no need to pay a mount of extra money for an SLC SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by RunCore Tech_Support View Post
    Dear,

1. The difference between ZIF and miniZIF is the physical dimensions of the SSD. ZIF is 1.8 inch, and miniZIF is 1 inch.

2. There is no 2.5" ZIF SSD in the market. RunCore 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD is 5mm that is the thickness of the SSD.

3. MiniZIF is the dimensions of the SSD is only 1 inch.

4. PATA ZIF is means that it complies to PATA protocol, because there is a LIF interface similar to ZIF which complies to SATA II in our products. But the LIF interface in some other vendor they named as SATA ZIF.

5. MSI U115 SSD netbook you have is a 1 inch miniZIF SSD. You can choose our miniZIF, the max capability is 32GB.

6. Our prosumer products all uses MLC NAND. You may cost more than double price to buy an SLC NAND SSD. I think as a common user the MLC NAND is enough, there is no need to pay a mount of extra money for an SLC SSD.
    Thanks a lot for your reply & advice!

Referring to #5, has RunCore checked/tested the compatibility of your miniZIF SSD with the MSI U115 netbook? I read some messages in which some consumers found compatibility problems when they change the SSDs for their labtops.

Is your MSI U115 netbook have two driver ?
    One is 2.5" SATA, the other is MiniZIF ?

Quote Originally Posted by RunCore Tech_Support View Post
    Is your MSI U115 netbook have two driver ?
    One is 2.5" SATA, the other is MiniZIF ?
    Yes, it is a hybrid netbook with one SSD for OS and one HDD for data.

Sorry, the max capability of miniZIF is 64GB.
    We have customers purchased the miniZIF used on MSI U115 notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by RunCore View Post
    Sorry, the max capability of miniZIF is 64GB.
    We have customers purchased the miniZIF used on MSI U115 notebook.
    Great! It's much clear now.
    Thanks for your advice!

Thread Information