Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot boot anymore on 128 GB SSD on Macbook Air

Default Cannot boot anymore on 128 GB SSD on Macbook Air

Hi,

I received 2 days ago a 128 GB SSD for Macbook Air Rev. A and I successfully cloned my previous disk and installed it inside MBA. It started and worked correctly during 2 days.

This morning, I restarted the MBA, and got a blank grey screen. Turning verbose mode on, I realized that os could not boot on SSD. I decided to boot from install DVD and check the SSD with disk utility. I got the following message : "Invalid node structure, volume check failed".
    I can successfully delete the partition, recreate it and re-install Mac OS. Install works fine, until I try to reboot : then I get the same behavior as previously described.

Is there any specific action I can do to solve this, or is this due to SSD failure and should I return it ?

Thanks for your help

Francois

Default Re: Cannot boot anymore on 128 GB SSD on Macbook Air

Same here. MBA rev A, FW is 1819. Going back and forth with RunCore support, they believe it's a defective drive however your experience now may indicate otherwise... BTW, cold boot for me works fine. Reboot only causes a blank screen.

Good news and bad news guys.

Good news it is not a major new problem that will affect the SSD shipped.

Bad news your drives need to be returned for replacements. The guys in China figured out what is happening it is a soldering problem that will affect very few drives. They said they will talk with the SMT factory to make sure it never happens again.

Matt Dawson CMO
    Runcore

Matt,

Good or bad, thank you for the update.

MDD is sending me a replacement. Is there anyway to tell whether the drive I receive will have this problem prior to installing, e.g. serial number, particular die flash, etc.?

I'd prefer not to open up my MBA again and fuss with the zif cable anymore than necessary. This is the RCP-IV-ZA1828-C.

Thanks,
    John

I have the same problem. Because if this I decided to remove the Runcore drive from my Macbook Air and try it in a netbook. It worked there for a few days before drives errors caused me to also remove if from my netbook. It is currently a $400 paper weight. How do we go about getting this fix?

Hi Matt

Can you assist me here, not sure if I am suffering the same problem or not.

Have had a 128GB ZIF SSD running on my Macbook Air Rev A for about 3 months now, it can with the latest firmware from the factory. Have had no issues with the drive till about 1 week ago.

Running 10.6.2, ran some software updates from Apple needed a reboot and then the apple logo will appear for about 20 secs. The apple logo would then change to a error (unable to load symbol) circle with a line through it.

I had to reinstall 10.6 via DVD, everything returned to normal then, no data was lost etc. Again redownloaded 10.6.2 via software updates and rebooted, no issues there, been running for 3 days with no issues.

I then ran a security update this morning, rebooted and now have the same unable to boot issue.

Can you advise if this is the issue that you have been detailing above. As I can't keep reinstalling 10.6 to recover everytime.

Thanks

Garry

I am using the 128 GB version with the latest firmware on a rev A Macbook. Everything worked fine for the first few weeks. Then suddenly the unit would not boot and I would get the grey screen with the line through a circle. Running Disk Warrior would report corruption on the disk. If I let it repair the disk I could boot again. The problem is that it started happening every few days. I could not live with this. So I wanted to get some use out of the drive and moved the drive to a netbook running WinXP. Low and behold it too started getting disk errors after a few days and now will not boot. It definitely sounds like a defective piece of technology.

Quote Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
    I am using the 128 GB version with the latest firmware on a rev A Macbook. Everything worked fine for the first few weeks. Then suddenly the unit would not boot and I would get the grey screen with the line through a circle. Running Disk Warrior would report corruption on the disk. If I let it repair the disk I could boot again. The problem is that it started happening every few days. I could not live with this. So I wanted to get some use out of the drive and moved the drive to a netbook running WinXP. Low and behold it too started getting disk errors after a few days and now will not boot. It definitely sounds like a defective piece of technology.
    Can you provide the SN and PN code of your ssd to support@runcore.com.

Matt

I have sent my details through

Thanks for your assistance

Garry

Kudos to MDD; they've been extremely cooperative with these RMA's. This time, they advance replaced the drive... HOWEVER... same problem!

Reboots result in a flashing folder with question mark. This is now the 4th drive from MDD. 1st was the initial release that wasn't tested with rev1. The 2nd was FW1571 that wouldn't reliably wake from sleep. The 3rd, and now this 4th, has this reboot problem (reported to be a soldering problem).

I understand the majority of folks have no issues but, as a single customer, this has been the most frustrating experience with a product I have ever had: buggy, untested product; long delays in response; poor communication (just read any thread in these forums); ongoing issues since August, almost 5 months!

Again, Matt, how do I ensure I get a drive that won't have this problem prior to installing in my laptop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information