Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows 7 installation problem with Runcore

Default Windows 7 installation problem with Runcore

I have a problem with a Runcore drive. When trying to install windows the installation stops always in the "extracting windows files" phase (0%). The disk is a Runcore IV 64GB 1.8 micro sata drive.

I have tried partitioning the disk in another machine (in the USB enclosure) and cloning a backup of the old drive with Acronis True Image. The cloning seems to go fine, but windows startup also fails. It just stalls at the point before user icon selection and boots after a while. Otherwise the cloning seems to work (no error messages).

The machine is a Nokia booklet. Other SSDs (X18M, Samsung) have been confirmed to work with it.

This is the exact model:

RCP-IVS1864-C (M22)

What should I do? I am getting a bit frustrated.

Update 1: Ubuntu netbook remix seems to install fine. Too bad some hotkeys don't work or I could just use this.

Update 2: Firmware is version 1819 according to ubuntu disk manager. These posts seem to decribe a similar problem:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f78/upda...tml#post340269
    Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - 2510p - Owner's Lounge

At least redly1's problem seemed to go away after (special?) firmaware update. Anyone willing to lend me a hand and send me a link to a firmware update?

Update 3: At least I got a response fast. Too bad it didn't work.

As per instructions from Runcore support (to create a partition and format it separately from the installation process) I made a partition with WinPE (Windows XP live cd) and diskpar.exe. Then I formatted it to NTFS with disk manager.

Still doesn't work.

Maybe I should also mention I'm using an USB stick to install Windows 7. I have also tried different versions (Home premium, Ultimate) so I don't think it is a problem with the installation media.

Getting very frustrated. I think an Intel X18-M would have paid for itself by now.

Update 4:

E-mailed Runcore a response. Waiting for their reaction.

Update 5:

Received new firmware, version 1916. Installed it.

No effect. Windows 7 install still stalls at "expanding windows files".

Using diskpart from the installer's repair menu results in this output:

Code:
    DISKPART> select disk 0
    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.
    DISKPART> clean
    Diskpart succeeded in cleaning the disk.
    DISKPART> create partition primary align=64
    Diskpart succeeded in creating the specified partition.
    DISKPART> active
    Diskpart marked the current partition as active.
    DISKPART> format quick fs=ntfs
           0 percent completed
    Diskpart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect.
    See the System Event Log for more information.
    DISKPART> _
    Haven't yet tried again to create them in another OS, but doubt it will do much difference. I mean what is going on here? The disk is obviously not broken since I can install linux. Haven't tried to install XP.

If this is an incompatibility between the Runcore drive and a 'PATA to SATA bridge' in the machine is there something else that can be done? Can this problem even be solved? Should I get a refund (if possible)?

Also: I managed to break the USB caddy (mini-USB connector broke off) . So be careful with it.

Update 6:

Tried again installing to partition that I created and formatted in XP but no luck...

Update 7:

No reply from Runcore. Ran 'Error-checking' from winPE's disk tools. It didn't find any errors.
    Last edited by bld; 01-21-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Default Re: Windows 7 installation problem with Runcore

Runcore seem quite slow at answering on the forums some times.

Can I suggest you contact them direct too at the customer support e-mail address? Link this post and also the post where Redly1 was sent a FW fix and hopefully ypou should get support quickly. Note that it may be tommorrow before anyone gets back to you because it's Sunday.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Runcore seem quite slow at answering on the forums some times.

Can I suggest you contact them direct too at the customer support e-mail address? Link this post and also the post where Redly1 was sent a FW fix and hopefully ypou should get support quickly. Note that it may be tommorrow before anyone gets back to you because it's Sunday.
    Ok, I did that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would be really, really glad to receive any suggestions.

I'm all out of ideas.

Sounds like you have already tried the recommended method by Runcore (see below) but might also be worth you trying to create the partition via Win 7 (rather than XP) and installing via CD to see if makes any difference

For XP partitioning, you can also try the alternative format command shown in URL below (point 11)

Quick IT tip: How to build bootable USB stick | Tamir Khason - Just code

If none of these work you may need to get an RMA

Installing Win7 on RunCore PATA SSD
    Solution
    Note:
    If you want to install the Windows 7 by CD-ROM instead of cloning your original HDD to the RunCore SSD, you need to install windows 7 according to the following steps.
    Applicability:
    RunCore Pro IV PATA products, such as RCP-IV-Z18XX-C, RCP-IV-ZA18XX-C, RCP-IV-P18XX-C, RCP-IV-P18XX-CF, RCP-IV-P25XX-C, RCP-IV-M50XX-C.
    Procedure:
    Step 1: Connect the SSD to your laptop via USB case. Create and format a primary partition as NTFS file system in disk management. The primary partition for Windows 7 installation will be better if it is larger than 20GB.
    Step 2: Install the RunCore SSD to your laptop.
    Step 3: When entering into the following installation interface, select the disk for Win 7, donít format it again. Then click the next button.
    Step 4: It will completely finish installation

Thread Information