Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Boot Windows XP Install CD after installing RunCore SSD

Default Re: Unable to Boot Windows XP Install CD after installing RunCore SSD

Hi again cc101,

Are you doing a fresh Mac OS X installation on the SSD first? If so what version? Snow Leopard?

Or are you cloning an existing Mac OS X installation using Carbon Copy? I'm using Carbon Copy to clone my existing Western Digital 7200rpm HDD and then installing the RunCOre SSD into the MacBook. I then create the Boot Camp Partition and try to start the install from the Windows 7 Installation DVD.

thanks

Stuart

I think there is some confusion... I don't have a MacBook Pro, I have a MacBook like your screen shots - you were referring to a MacBook Pro for some reason, that is why I was correcting you.

I have attached a screen shot of my system specs. I notice that they are different to yours. I've tried updating the SMC and Boot ROM on my MacBook and the installers say that my laptop doesn't need the latest updates. So I'm assuming that means there aren't any new updates for it.

Stuart

Hi,

My system version is Mac OS X 10.5.6(9G2110)
    I cloned my mac to RunCore SSD from my original HDD by using Carbon Copy Cloner.
    The only possible causes maybe the boot ROM version or SMC version. I think you can try to update your EFI Boot ROM version.

Any new information, let me know.

Hi cc101,

As I already mentioned in post #12 I have tried updating my SMC (v1.2-v1.3) and EFI/Boot ROM Version (v1.1-v1.4). I have just tried it again and for each of them the installer downloads, starts and immediate displays a message saying "The computer does not need this update". I get the same message for each of the updates I try to install.

Here are my Software/OS specs attached.

Stuart

Have you any other version Mac OS Installation DVD?
    If you just have, you can try it.

Quote Originally Posted by RunCore Tech_Support View Post
    Have you any other version Mac OS Installation DVD?
    If you just have, you can try it.
    Sorry, are you asking me to try and install a fresh version of another version of Mac OS X on the SSD instead of my cloned Snow Leopard drive? Such as Tiger or Leopard?

Stuart

We recommend that you can try Leopard version.
    If a fresh install version of another version of Mac OS X can't solve your problem, you can contact with the agency for a placement.

In the end, i don't think this really has anything to do with "Bootcamp" per say... from my experience with my iMac and MBP, there is something about either adding a SSD or simply a third party drive that prohibits some macs from booting off a windows disk or partition.

Over on the OCZ forums, there are hundreds of posts about people who have to take the SSD out of their macs and put into a windows machine to upgrade the firmware because the mac wont boot with a simple unix CD with the SSD in place.

However, since I haven't been able to get a clear answer on my MBA rev A and the RunCore drive, I am on the edge of giving it a try. Maybe using Winclone would eliminate the need to boot off a DVD/CD. (Or maybe that partition wont boot ether :-( ) Unfortunately, the MBA isn't powerful enough to run Windows in a VM well enough to work an since I use the MBA for work, bootcamp is a necessity.

Hi bdavidson,

thanks for your comments. Yes I've arrived at the same conclusion now too I think. We're paying the early adopters tax here! I need both partitions for my development work and I'm loosing far too much time and money just trying to test all the possible combinations of booting, installing, partitioning, trying different Mac OS X versions, Parallels, and so on. This past week I think I've easily spent over 40hours trying to solve this issue and it's time to give up.

thanks

Stuart

Thanks for bdavidson.

I am a new user of Mac and SSD.
    My friend have a MacBook Air Rev.A, he purchased a RunCore SSD and feels great. I am very interested in it, So I pruchased a RunCore SSD for my MacBook last few days.

But in my Mac it boot Windows CD/DVDs is ok.
    And my friend boot DOS for firmware update to the last version via CD-ROM according to the RunCore support's guide.

Whether the versions of mac os or other issues causes can not boot Windows from CD-ROM on Mac ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information