Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Pro IV Pata Zif 1.8" 32g Problems as many others.....

Default Pro IV Pata Zif 1.8" 32g Problems as many others.....

Well trying to buy one of these things has been hell honestly. I received my ssd after waiting 3 weeks because of backorder. I have no problem with that, however after receiving it, I had the thing out of the package for maybe 5 minutes, and the zif connector snapped off the ssd. Sent it back to mdd in which they were nice enough to warranty it, as it should be. NOW, Ive cloned the new ssd, I've tried 4 different zif cables, and this is what I get every time..........

- I turn on the computer.
    - Press F10 to change boot order, it picks up the ssd on there, so I select it, then when it goes to boot up, it says nothing is there?!

So now do I have to send this thing back again?! Its going to take a year before I even get one to work correctly........

Any help would be great from anyone and/or Runcore Tech Support.

Runcore Tech- My SN# is 321005190297

Default Re: Pro IV Pata Zif 1.8" 32g Problems as many others.....

Have you tried it on USB, can it be detected by USB?

Yes it works on usb. I already cloned the old hard drive so the new drive has everything on it.

It's been a common issue recently that the SSD can be detected by USB but not BIOS. After the discusstions with several tech guys, here is what we sum up:
    1. cable problem / connecting problem
    2. zif connector damaged / pin points oxidated
    3. BIOS firmware / BIOS compatibility issue with SSD
    Now for those of you who still have the problem, can you please leave your PN and SN to support@runcore.com as well as the platform that the SSD was trying to run on/ computer model, I will report to R&D and they'll try to find a way out. Hopefully I'll get the answers by the end of this week.
    example: PN: RCP-IV-P1832-C
    SN: 321005190297

Sn- 321005190297
    pn- 14103204
    rcp-iv-z1832-c

Any updates on this problem? Kinda sucks having a new ssd just sitting as a paper weight.........

I recall a similar problem when installing a 32G runcore into an hp mini a while back. Take a look at :

YouTube - RunCore Pro IV 1.8in Zif SSD instal in an HP Mini Netbook

Watch how they orient the zif cable very closely. One end (either the drive or the mainboard, I don't remember which) is reversed from the way it plugs in to the usb enclosure. i.e. zif pins up vs. down. It doesn't make any sense, but that's the way it is.

I installed mine as the video shows and it is working flawlessly right now.

Regards,

You don't say what computer you have (or I missed it). I have a suggestion, if it's a PC go into BIOS setup and disable a TPM if you have one. (Often the overall disable will be in a tab called Security if you have an AMI BIOS). I know it sounds odd but it worked for me (or it would, except I need the TPM).

The main issue, of the flexi not being all the way in (or the wrong way up) was already covered.

However for completeness:

(1) The ZIF connector is open when the black bar (which sits over the legs) is up, i.e. perpendicular to the drive. You close it by pushing it towards the main body of the drive. It's a thumbnail job.

(2) The flexi should go about 2mm into the connector. (If the flexi has a strengthener at the end it's typically about two fifths to half that.)

(3) The contacts go towards the drive, so the stiffener is facing out.

There are actually two thicknesses of flexi, which can add to the fun, but as Runcore supply them in the retail drives it should be fine. (I haven't had a problem with Runcores and existing flexis, although they can be a tighter fit than some other manufacturer's drives.)

If it's any consolation I have a bunch of them I can't use 'cos of this... and MTron went out of business :-(

BTW does anyone have an installer for the 1819 firmware, or anything later than that and not 1916? (It's a pain that the flash types keep moving up, as I doubt there's a 1819 for the "11" type that many of my drives are - it's the 3rd/4th digits in the PN.)

I have no connection with Runcore, except being a customer.

Hope that helps a little...

John

Thread Information