Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem installing OS on RunCore Pro IV 64G 1.8'' PATA Zif SSD

Default SOLVED: Problem installing OS on RunCore Pro IV 64G 1.8'' PATA Zif SSD

Dear RunCore Tech Support,

I have order 64GB RunCore Pro IV Pata ZIF 1.8" Solid Sate Drive for my Dell Latitude D430.
    The drive is working ok when I use it with the USB Case. But my problem is that there is no way to install fresh Win 7. Here is what I've tried:

1. I have followed instructions that was into the drive but Windows 7 can't install anything on the drive and exit with error.
    2. I've tried different methods of partitioning the drive with different alignments and format with different allocation unit sizes, but again windows 7 can't copy anything on the drive and exit with error.
    3. After a long research on the net I found solution that seems to be working: format the drive with windows Vista disk and then install Win 7 on formated drive. I was happy that finally I've install successfully win 7, but then problems starts again. The windows freeze randomly without reason. I found something strange: on Device Manager I found 2 unknown devices that didn't have with my original hard drive. When I search the net with the hardware ID there was nothing like this.
    4. Then I've create 2 partitions on the SSD from Vista Install Disk and format then. Install Win 7 on the first one and everything was like the first install (randomly freezes with BSOD). Then I found that win also freeze when I try to open windows explorer and I think that the problem is with the second partition so I try to format it. And there is problem again - win 7 said that he can't format the drive. I've delete the partition from the Disk Management Console and the I've tried to create it again. But win 7 said that there is a problem with device and couldn't preform the action. So this method with partitioning and formating the drive from Vista didn't work.
    5. After all I think that I couldn't install Win 7 will try to install XP. It's stupid idea to install XP after paid so much and not use the benefits of SSD, but I have to try. I have followed a few guides for preparing the SSD for win XP (alignment and formating with 32k allocation unit size). Then I was surprised that the XP start to copy installation files to the drive and I think that everything is ok now. But after his copy all necessary files and reboots hi ask me to insert a disk because hi couldn't find some file. I think that this is a problem with installation media and the I've tried the same with another media, but again with the same error. Then I think that maybe the problem came from formating with different allocation unit size (I have install fresh XP on 4 laptops with SSD with same alignment and format with 32k allocation unit size) so I try to reformat it from the XP installation. But XP told me that there was a problem with formating the drive and exit installation. Then I try to delete partition and create it from the XP installation, but again the XP told me that there is problem with the drive and exits.

So I couldn't find a way to install fresh OS on the drive after around 20 different tests, mounting and dismounting on the laptop (and who have ZIF drive know what pain in the a*s is this procedure).

Then I've write a letter to supplier and they told me that they will transfer the case to you. This was 2 days ago and I don't have any answer from them so I want to ask you directly: Where is the problem and what do I have to do now ?

For your information:
    RCP-IV-Z1864-C (M26) with latest FW
    PN: 14176404
    SN: 641005200049

Best Regards,
    Vesselin Gavrilov
    Last edited by Becko; 10-26-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Default Re: Problem installing OS on RunCore Pro IV 64G 1.8'' PATA Zif SSD

"3. After a long research on the net I found solution that seems to be working: format the drive with windows Vista disk and then install Win 7 on formated drive. I was happy that finally I've install successfully win 7"
    Actually we are not so sure yet why it has to be this complicated to install Win 7, but can you please try this way again to install it, and for the OS freezes problem, you might want to disable the trim function in win 7.
    Here is the command:
    Run as administrator and input in command prompt:
    fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 1
    The trim function will be disable.

Dear Tech Support,

" ... and for the OS freezes problem, you might want to disable the trim function in win 7."
    But what is the point to have Win 7 and SSD without Trim function?! I have experience with SATA SSD's and the reason that I've chose RunCore was the trim function. Now you told me to disable it ... I don't see the point to have something that you can't use.

Anyway I've already tried this, but didn't mention it in my previous post. I've read here in the forum that disabling the trim may fix the freezes and that was exactly what I did. I don't like the SSD without Trim, but I have to find a way to make it work. After some time of work I tried to use wiper.exe described into the Runcore ProIV ZIF SSD User Review but the wiper.exe told me that he didn't find any SSD ?!?!? So then I realize that there must be a problem.

Anyway today I've send the drive to the supplier for replacement and I really hope that the next drive will work without a problem.

Best Regards,
    Vesselin Gavrilov

Dear Vesselin,
    does your new drive work now correctly ?
    Kind regards
    Michael

Dear Michel,

The new drive work perfect. I'm using it without problem.
    I was afraid that if I install XP it will not possible to use trim function, but actually the TRIM works on XP with wiper.exe from OCZ. With old drive it didn't work.

So now I'm happy and my laptop is 10x times faster and more.

Thanks and Best Regards,
    Becko

Thanks a lot for the info.
    Kind regards
    Michael

Thread Information