Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runcore SSD USB enclosure not recognised on OS X

Default Runcore SSD USB enclosure not recognised on OS X

I purchased the Runcore 1.8" SATA II LIF enclosure for an SSD drive I rescued from a relatively new MacBook Air. When I plugged the drive in via the USB ports, nothing happened. I tried plugging the LIF cable in and out, and swapping the two USB cables around. A few times, when I tried, I would see this message in the syslog:

Non-smartcard device launched pcscd [Vendor: 0X13FD, Product: 0X1618]

I have tried everything I know to see if I can find out more about what is going on here. Disk Utility shows nothing, nothing in /Volumes, nothing interesting in /dev and no other log entries that look related. USB Prober fails with a very strange message though:

USB Prober: GetUSBDeviceInformation() for device @ 6610000 failed

Eventually I decided that I may have a faulty unit. So I purchased a second unit of the same kind. Exactly the same symptoms show up. I plug it in, I see the little green light flash on once, and maybe see that weird pcscd log entry. Nothing else.

Can anybody help?

Default Re: Runcore SSD USB enclosure not recognised on OS X

Bump?

Could someone from Runcore comment?

I purchased two units, and neither of them seem to work.

How would I know if the HD was broken itself?

I would think that even without putting any drive in the USB enclosure, your Mac will recognize it when connected.

I would give that a try when i get home and let you know what i find.

Quote Originally Posted by nslater View Post
    Bump?

Could someone from Runcore comment?

I purchased two units, and neither of them seem to work.

How would I know if the HD was broken itself?

You should see a message similar to this in Console when you connect the USB enclosure:

10/12/10 10:37:49 PM kernel USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 5331544A4A31365A35303032 0x13fd 0x1840 0x104

Should I see that without a drive plugged in?

That is, if I open a new box, get the case, and plug it directly into my computer without hooking it up to anything I should still see that message?

Quote Originally Posted by ktula View Post
    You should see a message similar to this in Console when you connect the USB enclosure:

10/12/10 10:37:49 PM kernel USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 5331544A4A31365A35303032 0x13fd 0x1840 0x104
    I just tried, with no drive attached. I get this message:

Oct 15 18:48:23 Noah-Slaters-MacBook-Pro pcscd[6828]: Non-smartcard device launched pcscd [Vendor: 0X13FD, Product: 0X1618]

Looks like my mac isn't recognising it at all.

I have tried two of these devices, and on two different macs.

Any idea?

That is, if I open a new box, get the case, and plug it directly into my computer without hooking it up to anything I should still see that message?
    I believe that i got that message without the SSD in the enclosure.

Another way to figure out if your enclosure is seen by your Mac is to run System Profiler. Select "USB" under Hardware. If the enclosure is recognized, it should show up under USB High-Speed Bus.

Without the SSD connected to the enclosure, i get this message in system.log (similar to what you got):

Oct 15 21:21:10 mango pcscd[1131]: Non-smartcard device launched pcscd [Vendor: 0X13FD, Product: 0X1618]

With a HDD connected (the original HDD from my MBA) to the USB enclosure, i get this message in kernel.log:

Oct 15 21:23:05 mango kernel[0]: USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 5331544A4A31365A35303032 0x13fd 0x1840 0x104

Quote Originally Posted by ktula View Post
    Without the SSD connected to the enclosure, i get this message in system.log (similar to what you got):

Oct 15 21:21:10 mango pcscd[1131]: Non-smartcard device launched pcscd [Vendor: 0X13FD, Product: 0X1618]

With a HDD connected (the original HDD from my MBA) to the USB enclosure, i get this message in kernel.log:

Oct 15 21:23:05 mango kernel[0]: USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 5331544A4A31365A35303032 0x13fd 0x1840 0x104
    What does this imply?

The hard drive was taken from my old MacBook Air. I believe it overheated one night. In the morning, it no longer turned on. I figured the power board blew, but I never took it in for a proper servicing. It has occurred to me that the HD might have over-heated. Is that possible?

How would I tell if it's the USB unit, or the HD, to blame?

Is there any alternative to Runcore for connecting an external MacBook Air HD?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information