Mandrake 9.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandrake 9.1

Im downloading Mandrake 9.1. i alredy burned CD1 with the help of minibubba. cd 2 and 3 are at about 25% now. when i installed win xp i made a partition of 5 gb ( i have a 60) and i was wondering if that was enough or should i use partition magic and clear the partition and make it for about 10, 15, or 20 gb? i might buy a 120gb hard drive that Staples has on sale for $79. but i will buy it saturday of this week. i got about $150 layin around for stuff...any info for a newbie on linux will be helpful. like links for stuff for me to download.

do i need to get chipset drivers? i already got my drivers for broadcom (nic) and gettin nvidia driver pretty soon.

Thanks for help :no:

Welcome to TT!

5 gigs should be enough for it, but if you plan on seriously using Linux, you are probably going to want a little more space. Mdk 9.1 should have support for your mobo, so you shouldnt need to worry about that.

As for links you should check out this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=8680

it's in the thread, but I'll go ahead and post it here, it's a good install guide for Linux: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6162

Enjoy Linux!

:cheers:

edit: here are a few install guides posted by asklepios in another thread:

Straight from horse's mouth (refering to Mandrake)
    A long but comprehensive guide.
    Another nice one.
    For users who are not very good with English.

Comment

okay...i made a decision...im gonna get the hd. ill have 60 gb for linux...that much better than 5. thanks for the links bud.

Comment

if you are planning on dual booting WinXP and Mandrake 9.1, i would recommend that make a FAT32 partition on that 60gig HD along with the partition for Linux (ReiserFS recommended).
        this will give you an easy accessibiity of your data that you save in Linux from your Windows XP install as well. you will be able to read NTFS partitions from Linux but will not be able to write on them, thus having a FAT32 partition will be handful.
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

okay, i got my 120 gig hd in on wednesday. and it seems that its not an Ultra...a diamond max plus 9 : party ha so im pretty happy about gettin that.

as for linux...which hd should i use to have windows xp on? and which should i use for linux? and waht type of partition should i make on the 120 gig?

im thinkin of puttin the 120 as win xp and 20 of that as a multimedia (music, pic, documents) as that partition. and my 60 as linux. does win cashe all the platters b4 bootin?

thanks for all help

EDIT: This is really confusing me...i dont understand how to download or intstall these....

Comment

imo u shd partition that 60 gig HD to install linux.
            even a partition of 10 gig shd be fine for installing mandrake. make the remaining space as a FAT 32 partition which will act as a platform of data transfer between XP and Linux.
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

okay, so use 120 for xp. 10 for mandrake. 50 shared (music, documetns, install suff (drivers)) ????

EDIT: what channel should i put the 120 and 60 to? primary slave? primary master? i also have 1x dvd and 1xcdrw...

Comment

well bad news...i installed linux...and i rebooted...and it came up and said that DMA was not activated...and that it timed out...so i tried to get back into windows...and it gave me this error: "error 0x10" so i couldnt get back into windows...so i formatted...i formatted my 120 gig so...im gonna to try linux on my 60 giger...after i install some drivers...

btw: im pissed

:mad: :grr: :mad: :grr:

Comment

Working...
                X