Which is the Best/Recommended HDD???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the Best/Recommended HDD???

Im just curious in what is the best/recommended HDD for PC's today....

I have a Maxtor and a WD...they are both pretty good...i thought my Maxtor was dying cause it was clicking awhile ago but it stopped...i think it was the Raid IDE ports as the problem...anywayz...Vote!!!
    Maxtor
    0.00%
    Seagate
    0.00%
    Western Digital
    50.00%
    IBM
    50.00%

Hard to say really... depends on what you want from your hard drive. I went for the Seagate because they make a very good line of normal performance drives. But if you are looking at a massive drive, then the new Western Digital 120GB w/ the 8MB cache is about the fastest drive going right now.

I'm staying away from IBM until they get their act together, and Maxtor has never really been much of a contender in the performance drive market.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

stay away from maxtor! far FAR away!

i lost ELEVEN drives last year - ALL maxtor!

go read the old news @ www.harddrivehell.com

unfortunatley, i'm STILL using maxtor drives, but only cuz i can'afford to change out yet

when i do, i'll be going WD all the way

SG sucks too, btw, and for that matter any of those IBM with the GLASS platters are just a disaster waiting to happen...

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
        Hard to say really... depends on what you want from your hard drive. I went for the Seagate because they make a very good line of normal performance drives. But if you are looking at a massive drive, then the new Western Digital 120GB w/ the 8MB cache is about the fastest drive going right now.

I'm staying away from IBM until they get their act together, and Maxtor has never really been much of a contender in the performance drive market.
        Well im not looking for massive drives...i just want a HDD that will be working for a good amount of "years" to come...

....im looking forward to a 20-40 gig HD for Windows and an 80-120gig HD for Backup Data (movies,Music, files,etc....)...so would WD be the best choice or should i go for seagate...or maxtor...im staying away from IBM forever.....so far im looking into WD,seagate and Maxtor...thanks darth...havent seen u in a while

Lataz

FiReBLazR

Comment

If you're not looking for top performance, but reliability, then the Western Digital should do nicely. They tend to be a little less expensive and have a tendency to last nearly forever.

As to the comment of the Seagate drives sucking, I will be the first to admit that this used to be the case, but they have made huge leaps in reliability and have earned a place of respect once again in the drive market. I am using one of the Barracuda drives right now and it performs very well.
          My Toys

Comment

At the moment I'm using a 30G Maxtor and a 60GB Maxtor.. Haven't had a problem with either. the 30GB is about 3 years old now, and the 60 is about 18 months..

Comment

The only company I've seen drives from that haven't failed yet have been Western Digital. I like Maxtor, however, I've RMA'd 3 drives in the past few months, going back to december '01. The good news is, Maxtor doesn't BS ya for the RMA's.
              IBM: I've got two cranking away in RAID 0, but until they clean up their act, I doubt I'll be buying another IBM drive in the future. That 8hr per day hodgepodge is plain bull****. The drives need to be able to run 24/7/365 or they shouldn't be making them. NO other company is doing this stuff, regardless of the product quality (although some should).

Comment

Anything except IBM right now. My vote went to Seagate for their quietness and performance and reliability.
                Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I'm running a WD 200BB, no problems whatsoever.
                  Speedy, reliable (don't know about the noise factor - never had the opportunity to compare).
                  I was having some problems with my old WD Caviar 8.4Gb under Windows, but have witnessed no problems since I switched it to Linux? *Keeping fingers crossed*
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

i would never buy any thing other then Western Digital. they are quiet, reliable and if they break down 1-2weeks and u got a new one warranty works great!!! or seagate they are good. if u are looking for a loud hdd go with fuji or something like that its like having a lawn mower loose inside ur PC. or u can go with Maxtor if u want to have a semi loud pc and have pre paid shipping for warranty purposes in about a year ;) .

Comment

Well, as a small-scale system OEM and the like, I have tried every conceivable brand of hard drive since 1997 - and the only brand that has never failed once on me is Western Digital. My original 2GB AC22000L is still working to this day, with no bad sectors despite falling off the edge of my desk twice.

Western Digital drives are also very tolerant of high PCI bus speeds, unlike most Maxor drives. They are also very well priced, and have a good warranty service (not that I've ever needed to use it!)

So that's just my opinion :)
                      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Am I wrong or did WD buy Maxtor? I say this cuz a bud of mine bought two drives not sure if it was a wd and a maxtor or a sg and maxtor. Anyway the installation pamplett was Identical for both drives. Any one heard of this.
                        Buy the way I voted for max cause I own 4 of them and have had no problems so far. Though I am fairly new to OCing. As a matter of fact I have never had a drive fail on me in my 10 yrs of pc use. I still have my first 210mg hdd and it works fine.

Comment

Maxtor bought out Quantum. That's the only merger that I know of right off.
                          My Toys

Comment

Maxtor and WD do not own each other!!
                            I voted Maxtor cause I like the 740's (based on Quantum technology)
                            but the WD's and seagates are good drives too.
                            IBM is going to have to go a long way to regain their reputation as the leader in drives, too many bad product in a row, and too much stonewalling the problems.

Comment

Working...
                            X